ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The whinning noise...

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2005, 11:19 AM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The whinning noise...

Anyone yet found a solution to the low pitch whine/drone that appears at 67mph, not above, not below. My dealer is currently baffled.

Its not windows seal noise (its still there will all the windows down).

Its not the mirrors, and its coming from the rear.

They don't believe its the diff.

They suggested the exhaust, but it sounds like its coming from the drivers side of the car. So it kinda rules that out.

I know a few folk on here have had this. Anyone resolve it?

Mine started at about 3000 miles.

Thanks.

G.
Old 15 February 2005, 05:04 PM
Pigshed
Scooby Newbie

Hi G,

Looks like you've had this for a while .. !

Mine has a similar sound from the rear at about 60 mph, 2400rpm in 5th, but only when on throttle. Sounded like the diff. Dealer agreed it was the diff and it went in yesterday for a diff. Haven't heard anything since though ...

Having just read more history on the site I found this :

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...9&page=2&pp=20

So I suspect I'll be getting back still making the same sound. Unless JMK has had any more success in the last couple of weeks ?

Cheers, A.
Old 17 February 2005, 03:08 PM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

Mine makes it in any gear, any rpm, as long as you are doing 67mph. Throttle on. Throttle off. Wet. Dry. Windows up. Windows down.

I'm starting to think its coming from the rubber ribbing that runs along the edge of the roof on the drivers side. I think its coming from just behind my right ear, which would be roughly where that ribbing has a join. Maybe enough wind gets in a 67 to cause the noise, but above that speed the noise goes away. I doubt it. And I'd have thought that would sound more like a squeal than the noise I have.

Most irritatingly it seems to be a little louder now.
Old 17 February 2005, 04:49 PM
Midget
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has this problem on his 04 MY and was told that the 05 My have newly established dynamic dampers fitted to the rear diff carrier assembly for this very problem , he is waiting fo the delaer to come back to him as they believe they can be retro fitted to 04 MY .If yours is a 04 MY worth asking about this from youir dealer .
Old 17 February 2005, 07:41 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zerolight
Mine makes it in any gear, any rpm, as long as you are doing 67mph. Throttle on. Throttle off. Wet. Dry. Windows up. Windows down.

I'm starting to think its coming from the rubber ribbing that runs along the edge of the roof on the drivers side. I think its coming from just behind my right ear, which would be roughly where that ribbing has a join. Maybe enough wind gets in a 67 to cause the noise, but above that speed the noise goes away. I doubt it. And I'd have thought that would sound more like a squeal than the noise I have.

Most irritatingly it seems to be a little louder now.
One way to check that theory is to stick some gaffer tape over the join. I doubt whether it is that, since in a headwind you'd get it at a different speed to a tailwind.
Noises in cars are very difficult to pin down while you are driving.
Old 18 February 2005, 01:00 AM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Wink Found out what mine is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just a thought but I also had a droning noise, but this was around 40mph, I eventually found the problem by left foot braking and working out it was my front brake pads, apparently they can become a little loose and rub against the disc at certain speeds causing the droning noise.
I only had them changed about two months ago, anyway when I get back down to the garage it should all be sorted

Kev,
Old 18 February 2005, 12:28 PM
lesmess
Scooby Regular

I have a 04 WRX 5000mls with exactly the same noise as you have at exactly
68mls. Very annoying, will ask my dealer Town & County Aberdeen to sort it out at my 10,000ml service. I will not be fobbed off with any excuses, my 01 bug eye wrx gave me no probs at all. Meanwhile if you get to the bottom of this problem I would appreciate if you could send a short note with the fix.

lesmess@raeburn.eclipse.co.uk

Thanks

les
Old 18 February 2005, 06:55 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midget
A mate of mine has this problem on his 04 MY and was told that the 05 My have newly established dynamic dampers fitted to the rear diff carrier assembly for this very problem , he is waiting fo the delaer to come back to him as they believe they can be retro fitted to 04 MY .If yours is a 04 MY worth asking about this from youir dealer .
Sorry to tell you this but my 05 has exactly the same thing..! Mind you it's not too bad and dosen't really bother me. It does sound like diff whine though.

Jason
Old 18 February 2005, 07:26 PM
WRX Sparky
Scooby Newbie

MY03 WRX has had the whining noise from the backend since new, it has had two new rear diffs and the noise is still there. The noise happens whilst decelerating at around 65 to 60. JMK has had the problem and has had a diff change dynamic stabalisers checked and rear subframe replaced but last I heard it still has the fault?
Old 18 February 2005, 10:25 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think you should change your regular cruising speed to 66 or 68mph
Old 19 February 2005, 05:27 PM
Pigshed
Scooby Newbie

Default Back from diff change....

Got mine back from it's diff change last night, the dealer seemed confident the noise had gone away... unfortunately it's not .. on the bright side, if you listen carefully, I now get the noise at 60, 63 and 68 so I don't feel left out anymore. My primary concern was that if it was the diff. it would keep getting worse and, at some point, I'd get stuck with a huge bill to fix it - rather than a hugh bill to make it go faster. If it's just harmonic resonance then I can live with it and class it with the other unidentifiable sounds - like the noise from the standard speakers.

Here's a really exciting picture, unfortunately you need a jpeg viewer with the x-ray plugin to actually see the diff. Excuse the picture quality, I couldn't find anyone 6 inches tall with a camera so I had to hold my phone under there !

Where are these mysterious vibrations dampers anyway ?

Bugger, can't work out how to just paste an image in .. well if it helps there's a shiny metal bit bolted to a dull metal bit set in a general surrounding of darkness and dirt. In the distance, there's more bolts, some rubbery looking bits, some more metal, and on the inverted horizon, you can see daylight !

Adam G.
Old 22 April 2009, 08:59 PM
jpmatrix
Scooby Regular

LOL. Digging this thread up, I have this dam annoying resonance noise coming from the rear of my 2001 bugeye. It appears in any gear, and doesnt change in pitch in relation to my speed or what gear its in.

So it has to be a resonance and not drivetrain related.

Anyone know what the cure is for this 'woo-ing' noise?

I found this on another website and apparently its a common problem on Subarus.

Last edited by jpmatrix; 22 April 2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: missing link for image