Help please - urgent SVA query

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2005, 09:06 AM
stevencordiner
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help please - urgent SVA query

Hi guys,

I've just popped onto this site as my girlfriend has recently imported a 1996 Wagon WRX. However, apparantly the rear lights need to be changed for the SVA which is on monday. Our plan had been to just buy some from subaru, but they seem to be really reluctant to deal with an import!

I'm totally shocked at this as I'm used to dealing with Toyota regarding my MR2 turbo - true they usually order in the wrong parts and I wouldnt actually let them work on my car lol - but they will atleast try and help.

Are some dealers more willing to deal with an import than others? Any friendly ones?

Really need these lights urgently!

Any help would be appreciated, be it links to a breakers with a UK wagon in or if someone with a UKwagon would be kind enough to email me a vin number - a small paypal will be sent in return.

I know loan of a VIN number might be a sensitive one, I'm not a car ringer lol .... I'm on the uk MR2 imoc forum all the time and ran in Ten of the best 3 for team imoc last year

Please help guys!

Steve

P.S. wish my car sounded as nice as yours
Old 10 February 2005, 09:10 AM
mal
Scooby Regular

Question

Surely you just need to fit a new rear fog light to comply??
Old 10 February 2005, 09:39 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Hello and welcome to the board

Many people do just fit a separate fog light to pass SVA, which is undoubtedly cheaper (though less attractive) than replacing the light clusters with UK ones. If you want a UK set, do try a post in the Wanted forum - there are people who have changed theirs who will have on old set lying in the garage. Either option is cheaper than a brand new set from Subaru.
Old 10 February 2005, 10:29 AM
stevencordiner
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys!

Would rather not go the additional fog lamp look - just ruins the look of the car. Might opt for that just to get it through the SVA though and then fit some legal lights

Seems like a nice helpful board this, keep up the good work!

Cheers

Steve
Old 10 February 2005, 10:43 AM
Belmondo
Scooby Regular

You could turn the drivers side reverse light into a fog. All you need to do is run a wire off the feed for the front fogs and put some red lense repair tape over the lense on the outside. Does'nt spoil the look and the one reverse light is enough.
And yes Subaru dealers are *****. They will sell you parts but they will make you wait even if the part is on the shelf they will quote 1 or 2 days delivery. My local dealer made me walk back to where I'd parked to get the chassis number (in the rain) just for an oil filter! When we both knew all the EJ20 engines used the same filter. Needless to say I never went back....ever....
Old 10 February 2005, 11:52 AM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

go for the foglight matey much cheaper. also dont go to a dealer they'll shaft ya., look in the forsale section here, also go to www.sidc.co.uk www.scoobycity.co.uk or www.p1oc.co.uk andd just look around mate or go to scrappys try www.grade-a.co.uk mate. hope that helps
Old 10 February 2005, 01:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If you do choose to replace the rear lights rather than fit a seperate foglight then make sure that you do both. The JDM cars have a different light pattern to the UK cars and whilst youll pass for the fog light youll fail for that.

Simon
Old 10 February 2005, 01:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Belmondo
You could turn the drivers side reverse light into a fog. All you need to do is run a wire off the feed for the front fogs and put some red lense repair tape over the lense on the outside. Does'nt spoil the look and the one reverse light is enough.
And yes Subaru dealers are *****. They will sell you parts but they will make you wait even if the part is on the shelf they will quote 1 or 2 days delivery. My local dealer made me walk back to where I'd parked to get the chassis number (in the rain) just for an oil filter! When we both knew all the EJ20 engines used the same filter. Needless to say I never went back....ever....
Unfortunately you cant use the reversing light; this will fail the SVA immediately. The SVA tester will also inspect the integrity of the foglight wiring, its quite thorough.

If you wish you can convert the car as described above after youve passed your SVA as most MOT testers will accept it.

Simon
Old 10 February 2005, 01:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

One other thing; 'Wagon lights are different from Saloon lights; most UK spec lights for sale seem to have come from 'Lexus'd-up' saloons.....
Old 10 February 2005, 01:39 PM
Belmondo
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately you cant use the reversing light; this will fail the SVA immediately. The SVA tester will also inspect the integrity of the foglight wiring, its quite thorough.

If you wish you can convert the car as described above after youve passed your SVA as most MOT testers will accept it.
Thats why the SVA is such a bagosh1te. I reckon fog lights are useless anyway. Like you don't get fog in Japan.
Old 10 February 2005, 01:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevencordiner

Are some dealers more willing to deal with an import than others? Any friendly ones?

Really need these lights urgently!

I know loan of a VIN number might be a sensitive one, I'm not a car ringer lol

Steve
Steve, you dont need to go to all of this trouble if you really want to buy new replacement lights; just swap dealers, very few act in this manner now and this one seems to be a particular ****.

Simon
Old 10 February 2005, 02:04 PM
stevencordiner
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys, we're sorted. Got the set of tail lights for £40 quid Local friendly breakers had a set in.

Cheers for the help though!

Its a shame the government saw fit to mess around with the SVA rules and vehicle registration side of things lately. Yet more protection for the manufacturers.

Was surprised at the 2 dealers I called when it came to parts for imports, as I said I'm not used to that as Toyota although they're incompetent and might try and shaft you, they will still try and help.