HELP!!!!!!! Quickshift

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2001, 05:22 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Urgent help required please!
Trying to fit my GGR quickshift lever (courtesy of Scobbyshop ) to my MY00. The old lever was a doddle to get out: the new one, an absolute sod to get in - no success so far!
The iclub site gives instructions on doing the job and suggests just twatting it as hard as you can to get it in! I've been trying that but the ball socket has a fair degree of verical flex which seems to absorb the blows. The GGR instructions suggest talking the ball socket mount apart and fitting it that way.
Question: The rubber cover is wirelocked around the pivot housing so I can't get to the circlip (which I gather is underneath the cover somewhere). Is it okay to cut the wirelocking off? Is the rubber cover snug enough to fit back on or will it require re-wirelocking (i have none, of course)?
All suggestions gratefully received! It's now getting dark, wife unimpressed as her car in the garage and my gearleverless car is now blocking the drive!!!!
Old 18 March 2001, 05:36 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

The easy way of doing this is to get a second pair of hand, and then do the following:

Get one pair of hands to hold the quickshift in place.

The get a piece of wood, place it over the top of the quickshift, and **** the piece of wood with a big hammer!!

Fasten all the bits you took off before and...

Job done!! I was told this by a Subaru mechanic!!

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 18 March 2001, 05:37 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

lo simon

we helped maxy to fit his quick shift last week m8

u need 2 people to fit it,we didnt take the sir-clip of,the new ball is 1 hell of a tight fit m8

the way we got it in in the end was simple.

when u line the new ball into the joint also have a flat headed screw driverwith u, put the screw driver into the joint first this pushes the white part of the joint open slighty,slide the new ball into the joint and keep a good pressure on it, next take a piece of timber(4*2)place it over the thread at the top of the gear shift,now some 1 has 2 keep a good strong down-wards pressure on the shaft while the other person skelps the timber with a hammer.

easy peasy

it might take a few hits with the hammer though just be patient with it

the biggest problem with the quick shift is the white ball joint isnt fixed down to any thing which in turn means it just floats about

hope thats of some help to u m8

dougie + diana
Old 18 March 2001, 05:41 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

What Dougie said

[This message has been edited by Maxy_UK (edited 18 March 2001).]
Old 18 March 2001, 05:43 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for those, folks!
Back to try out the suggestions

Isn't the Internet/Scoobynet great? Question to answer in about 10 mins!
Old 18 March 2001, 06:20 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Sorry to hear you're having trouble Simon...

have you sorted it as yet?
Old 18 March 2001, 07:41 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

I've done 3 of these now (the one from Falkland) and the easiest way to get the little bugger in is to get the gearshift **** on, and give it a good whack with your hand, the trick is to get a bit of weight behind it, since the seating is rubber mounted it gives in a fair bit.

/Jerry
Old 18 March 2001, 08:14 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Smile

By the Power Of Grayskull!!!!!!!!!!!etc etc

Thanks folks; I have beaten the bit into submission and all is well. The difference in shift distance is very noticeable although the lever does now sit a lot further forward which will take a bit of getting used to! Only one (more) slight query now; I've noticed there appears to be contact between the gear linkage and the metal surround where shown in the picture, in first gear. Is this normal or have I cocked up somewhere along the line?
Old 18 March 2001, 08:45 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

hmm..

that doesn't sound right to me.. maybe someone will correct me.

I'll check with GGR in the morning.

Is it possible to fit one the wrong way round?

Cheers

Simon
Old 18 March 2001, 09:18 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Wink

Without two pairs of hands, you can fix the recieving socket in place by wedging a piece of wood between it and the prop shaft (under the car).
Then you can force the new stick downwards.
I realised this after doing a pucker job of getting the circlip off the holding cup (also accessed under the car). This was an @rse of a job as the prop shaft gets in the way.
Old 18 March 2001, 09:32 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

simon

that doesnt sound right m8 try and speak to maxy in the chat room and he should tell u

what web master said is true though it can be fitted the wrong way round,the obvious diffrence would be the throw would be longer rather than shorter,the destructions should show what way to fit it correctly though
easy to change,undo bolt ,shove the linkage out the way spin the quick shift round and re-place the bolt.
only do the above if u have checked the destruction and its round the wrong way

dougie+diana
Old 18 March 2001, 10:34 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi

Dear webmaster.....i too would be interested about the closeness of the shifter linkage to the bulkhead...mine is the same.

Simon, yea it took me a couple of days to get used to the new lever position. But now its like normal.

Ian

[This message has been edited by Maxy_UK (edited 18 March 2001).]
Old 18 March 2001, 10:38 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks folks - Butty, I tried getting underneath and doing what you suggested but fortunately a second pair of hands turned up

As regards fitting it back to front, I fitted it as per the instructions and as per the description on the i-club site
Old 19 March 2001, 12:02 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hmm...looking at simon's picture, if you fitted the lever back to front the gear **** would be closer to the dash than before.

As for making the shift longer, that simply wouldn't happen!

D
Old 19 March 2001, 07:00 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

The linkage will get awfully close to the metal surrounding thingamajig (I had contact on 1st gear on all 3 cars) just bend it a wee bit upwards, or remove some material.

It's doing nothing except keeping that rubber thingamaboob down.

/J
Old 19 March 2001, 09:33 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I fitted my quickshift at the weekend too. I did manage to (eventually) get the lever installed using a large mallet (I couldn't find a piece of 4x2, so my Cisco Products Manual literally took a hammering (I've been wanting to do that for years)).

I also find that the linkage is very close to the edge of the metal brakcet, so I would suggest Simon, that your gearshift is correctly installed. Jerry's tip is the best thing to do - either very carefully turn up the corner of the plate, or wedge something under the corner, just to lift it slightly.

I was going to fit the quickshift months ago, but when I did some enquiries, I was told that there wouldn't be much difference to the normal MY00 shift. Er...wrong - much better now - feels a lot more positive and quite a lot less travel - well worth the 60 odd quid from Scoobynet .

Thanks to the Scoobyshop gang for keeping me informed about delivery etc

Chris
Old 19 March 2001, 10:53 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Hi Chaps

I've spoken to GGR and they say it shouldn't foul on anything, so there may be something a miss...

One thing I think would be very worth checking is which way round it was fitted

All the best

Simon
Old 19 March 2001, 11:10 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks webbie; my lever is correctly installed but as the folks above say it does put the linkage very close to the metal surround - I think the judicious use of some pliers to bend the edge back may be in order here.
That said the feel of the gearchange is hugely improved; anybody reading of my woes shouldn't be put off buying one - the benefits far outweigh the (very) minor niggles.
Old 19 March 2001, 11:35 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

SdB...it isn't the lever itself that gets close to the surrounding metal plate....it's the linkage. Besides..bending that plate a wee bit or removing a piece of that corner isn't a biggie really.

/J