Battery fob??????

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2005, 06:40 PM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery fob??????

Hi

Just put new batteries in the wife's key fob and it still doesn't work.Does it have to be reprogrammed or something?

Hope i don't need my pin for that as i've never known it

PeteS

PS It's a MY99 if that makes a difference.
Old 08 January 2005, 09:19 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Have you got the battery the correct way around???Not got wet has it, dry it out if so and all should be well again.

Ive changed the battery in my key fob before without problems(MY00). Check that the button is not stuck down with anything, also check the contacts for the battery.

These key fobs are crap because of there poor range, my dad has a Legacy with the same system, his has never worked unless pressed against the drivers window or rear hatch.

Lea

Last edited by BigRed; 08 January 2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09 January 2005, 12:18 AM
scoobydee2
Scooby Regular

Hi

Batteries also went in MY03 key fob, so replaced batteries and like yours still didnt work. Had to take it to the main dealer to have it re-progammed, only took a few minutes. Apparently if you dont replace the batteries almost immediately it loses all the settings.

It does help if you have your pin code, luckily i was using the spare key as they managed to set the alarm off and I cant remember the pin code either. They can also re-input a new pin code for your alarm, to one that you can remember.

Hope this helps
Old 09 January 2005, 12:26 AM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

I dropped mine in the sink once and it didnt work....was just wet contacts!
Old 13 January 2005, 04:37 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by scoobydee2
Hi

Batteries also went in MY03 key fob, so replaced batteries and like yours still didnt work. Had to take it to the main dealer to have it re-progammed, only took a few minutes. Apparently if you dont replace the batteries almost immediately it loses all the settings.

It does help if you have your pin code, luckily i was using the spare key as they managed to set the alarm off and I cant remember the pin code either. They can also re-input a new pin code for your alarm, to one that you can remember.

Hope this helps
Having changed the batteries in a Radio Key it is NOT neccessary to re-program the radio keys into the alarm and replacing the batteries will NOT cause the remote or the alarm to "lose settings" as you have been told.
A radio key can only be "programmed out" if it is not included in the programming sequence when "re-programming" an exiting radio key or "programming" a new radio key - this allows lost or stolen radio keys to be deleted from the system.

On the "separate" radio key that is not built into the ignition key-
If the radio key key continues not to operate ensure the battery is inserted the correct way and that the battery terminal has not been damaged (the battery should be slid out from beneath the terminal - bending the terminal out can snap it from the circuit board) - Battery connections can be checked on this transmitter as the LED will illuminate on the fob when the button is pressed. Very little voltage is required to operate the LED however and so an illuminating LED cannot be taken as an indication of healthy batteries.

On both types of radio key-
If it still does not operate ensure both keys are programmed into the system by following the procedure in the Operating Instruction. If these have been lost a copy is available at:
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...pic.php?t=2476

You should ensure you know your PIN at all times, as the system must be disarmed before it will allow any programming functions to be carried out.
Your PIN will have been supplied on 2 foil stickers when new, but this number can be changed to one of your own choosing by following the section in the Operating Instructions - particularly wise if you are not the original owner from new.

SS
Old 13 January 2005, 05:05 PM
THE M25 FLYER
Scooby Regular

something you can try which often gets the fobs working is to remove the battery(S),hold the fob buttons down for a few seconds to remove any static in the unit,refit the battery(s) and aim at car and hold the unlock button down for a few seconds.if no joy try again but this time try it with the ignition turned on.
Old 17 January 2005, 11:21 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by THE M25 FLYER
something you can try which often gets the fobs working is to remove the battery(S),hold the fob buttons down for a few seconds to remove any static in the unit,refit the battery(s) and aim at car and hold the unlock button down for a few seconds.if no joy try again but this time try it with the ignition turned on.
Hmmm.... not sure of the technical merit of that. At best you may dis-charge any capacitance effect within the Radio Key, but I am not aware of static causing any problems with our Radio Keys.
With regard to trying the process again with the ignition on, this will make no difference whatsoever to the Radio Key.
Are we both talking about the "Single Button" Radio Key supplied with UK vehicles - I notice you specifically mention holding the "Unlock" button?
Old 17 January 2005, 11:36 AM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
Are we both talking about the "Single Button" Radio Key supplied with UK vehicles - I notice you specifically mention holding the "Unlock" button?
I'm talking about the single button ones - don't know know about anyone else

PS