Oversteer!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2004, 02:53 PM
Dockie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oversteer!!!!!!!!!

Hi lads,
Picked up my new(to me) 02 sti and having traded my 00 classic i am seriously impressed with the refinement and the ride in general........... However, and there is always "a however", i find the handling a bit strange! I know all you regulars are pissed off with us newbies asking the same questions but i tried to search for an answer on the site but as i dont really know the problem........ It tends to want to oversteer on the gas after not wanting to turn in with the gas off! Is this the way of this model or would the geometary need adjustment, also what are these links that can be changed in the rear? I know lots of you will read this post but i would like a few replies.......
Thanks,
David.
Old 28 November 2004, 03:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you not mean understeer?

Tony
Old 28 November 2004, 03:11 PM
Dockie
Scooby Newbie

No Tony........it wants to go straight on first and then when you gas it, it suddenly turns quickly into the turn and wants to throw the tail!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 November 2004, 03:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checked your tyres/pressures?
Sounds like your rear grip isnt up to much, could be one of the above rather than the geometry (see if there is a mix of tyre makes/manufacturers).

Tony
Old 28 November 2004, 03:19 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I'd prefer that to the usual scoob understeer! I had my geo done to Powerstation settings and it was a bit more tailhappy - much better. Then again, I'm in a RWD car now
Old 28 November 2004, 03:40 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

It's possible the previous owner had it setup to do that.

I had my old WRX just like that, as I like oversteer I find it easier to balance the car.

As suggested above, check all the tyres and pressures. If they are all okay then take it to somewhere for a geo check.

The new age STi's can feel a bit weird due to the Suretrack diffs.
Old 28 November 2004, 03:53 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dockie
No Tony........it wants to go straight on first and then when you gas it, it suddenly turns quickly into the turn and wants to throw the tail!!!!!!!!!!
Dockie,

This is a characteristic of the 02 Sti and is related to the way the turbo delivers its boost. Basically the turbo delivery is non linear and if you are turning in rather tightly, especially in the wet, the sudden surge of power will definitely kick the tail out. I have had a few scares like this and I have learnt to use a sensitive right foot and to alter my driving technique accordingly to avoid this happening.

If this is a serious problem for you then my suggestion is that you get the car remapped (add the PPP enhancement or if yours is a non UK car, get it Ecuteked), which will alter the way the turbo delivers its output and solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

WB
Old 28 November 2004, 06:26 PM
Dockie
Scooby Newbie

Thanks lads especially WB........I dont mind a fishtail or 2 but it was a bit sudden and in traffic too!!!!!!!!!! I fancy a little more bottom end so a ppp might be on the cards or would a tsl 333 be a better option? (uk car)
Old 28 November 2004, 09:32 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Dockie,

The choice is yours. PPP means your warranty remains ok, if that's important to you, third party equivalent means that your warranty is not ok. There are a number of third party solutions out there that may be cheaper than the PPP (I said cheaper, not technically inferior).

One of the car magazines (possibly EVO or CAR) did a review of all the third party offerings sometime this year (can't remember which mag for the life of me, maybe some other readers might be able to help). Dig out a copy then make up your own mind.

TSL and others (I think Bob Rawle of BR Developments, but don't quote me on the latter) have modified vehicles available to allow you to get a feel for what's on offer.

Good luck.

WB
Old 28 November 2004, 10:24 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

As Nathan said, it can be a characteristic of the front diff.

Noticed a marked difference in my friends 2002 sti than my similarly powered WRX.

I'd suggest going to somewhere like powerstation and getting the adjustable whiteline rear antiroll bar and solid (powerflex) droplinks, geometry, and then do an airfield day or two to get a feel for the handling.

As WB said, best remap options are PPP if you still have warranty or else TSL 333 or Bob Rawle if you don't or don't care
Old 29 November 2004, 06:39 PM
Dockie
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the help guys! Rang TSL this morning and got loads of help from a guy called Graham........ They will set up the geometry as well as the engine tune....... So i am planning to have some money gathered up when the "turkey" is finished.
Thanks again,
Dockie.
Old 29 November 2004, 07:18 PM
N1 SPAN
Scooby Regular

It's the front diff doing its job. It is designed to pull into the corner under power and therefore give you the feeling that the car will break into oversteer (which it will if you are brutal enough).

It is very disconcerting for the ones used to an old shape car with a standard front diff.

I think it has similar characteristics to the Focus RS front diff, but that hasn't got power at the back wheels either to help break traction there.

It's a case of, they all do that sir and simply get used to it. I didn't like it by the way. I just didn't find it as forgiving as the old shape and less controllable on the limit. It did like a slide though!