wrx against uk

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2004, 04:16 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrx against uk

hi all
.im considering getting a wrx rather than a uk for my next scoob.
can anyone tell me,do i need octane booster or will they run properly on optimax? is there any difference between say a 93wrx compared to a 95 wrx or are they all the same inside ,outside and under the bonnet.
please help.
Old 27 November 2004, 04:45 PM
richir rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by redeye
hi all
can anyone tell me,do i need octane booster or will they run properly on optimax? is there any difference between say a 93wrx compared to a 95 wrx or are they all the same inside ,outside and under the bonnet.
please help.
try a thread such on said subject!
Old 27 November 2004, 05:53 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

hi all
please help.
Will run fine with optimax but octane boost is ALWAYS worth while, just adds a few quid per tank of fuel.and potentially a little more power...
Old 27 November 2004, 06:32 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

is there anything i should look out for when buying a wrx compared to a uk model?are the wrx service intervals the same as uk?are they anymore expensive to run?

sorry for all the questions,i just cant make my mind up.
Old 27 November 2004, 06:34 PM
richir rich
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

is there anything i should look out for when buying a wrx compared to a uk model?are the wrx service intervals the same as uk?are they anymore expensive to run?

sorry for all the questions,i just cant make my mind up.
Get an import much better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 November 2004, 06:43 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I've previously owned a '99 UK Turbo 2000 and now have a WRX STi Type-R Version 5.

I would say without a doubt that my import is a much better car than the UK Turbo. Its much faster, revs up to 8000rpm (uk turbo-7000rpm), far more pull through the revs, better exhaust, better brakes, folding mirrors and climate control (which UK model doesn't have). Although I need to do a few things to my car when I take it back to the UK.

I would take an import over a UK model every time, and I think most owners here would agree with me. Insurance will be a wee bit higher for an import though, but I found that its not that much. Imports tend not to come with an alarm eithier, which is a must have in a Scooby. You will need to make sure that if you choose an import, that it has a rear fog light fitted and it has a new fuel filler neck (to accept UK petrol pumps). General consus on here seems to be to get your ecu re-mapped to accept UK fuel as it will be expensive to just use octane boosters all the time (I will have to get this done when I take mine back to the UK) and get a Knocklink fitted. Also make sure it has been recalibrated into mph from kmh and that the speedo clock has mph on it, and that it has been de-restricted (imports are restricted to 112mph). When doing this make sure the speed rating on the tyres is enough for the new speed as imports just tend to have 'V' rated tyres (up to 120mph I think!). You will also have to get an import undersealed.

Dont let all this put you off an import though, as they are far more fun than a UK model, and STis hold their money better.
Old 27 November 2004, 06:48 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

thanks cyprus,thats the kind of info im needing.gonna way to check autotrader,

thanks
Old 27 November 2004, 06:49 PM
richir rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
I've previously owned a '99 UK Turbo 2000 and now have a WRX STi Type-R Version 5.

I would say without a doubt that my import is a much better car than the UK Turbo. Its much faster, revs up to 8000rpm (uk turbo-7000rpm), far more pull through the revs, better exhaust, better brakes, folding mirrors and climate control (which UK model doesn't have). Although I need to do a few things to my car when I take it back to the UK.

I would take an import over a UK model every time, and I think most owners here would agree with me. Insurance will be a wee bit higher for an import though, but I found that its not that much. Imports tend not to come with an alarm eithier, which is a must have in a Scooby. You will need to make sure that if you choose an import, that it has a rear fog light fitted and it has a new fuel filler neck (to accept UK petrol pumps). General consus on here seems to be to get your ecu re-mapped to accept UK fuel as it will be expensive to just use octane boosters all the time (I will have to get this done when I take mine back to the UK) and get a Knocklink fitted. Also make sure it has been recalibrated into mph from kmh and that the speedo clock has mph on it, and that it has been de-restricted (imports are restricted to 112mph). When doing this make sure the speed rating on the tyres is enough for the new speed as imports just tend to have 'V' rated tyres (up to 120mph I think!). You will also have to get an import undersealed.

Dont let all this put you off an import though, as they are far more fun than a UK model, and STis hold their money better.
my import was under sealed in japan ,just like most!
Old 27 November 2004, 06:52 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

how much does it cost to get it undersealed?
Old 27 November 2004, 06:53 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

my ra wasnt
Old 27 November 2004, 07:00 PM
richir rich
Scooby Regular

how much does it cost to get it undersealed?
the cost of u/s + labour about 100 /150£
Old 27 November 2004, 07:01 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

not too bad then.
Old 27 November 2004, 07:10 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jap imports dont come out the factory undersealed. It costs under £100approx to get a car undersealed.
Try and get a post 98model for the revised interior and dash. Much better. Im not sure about the differences in the mechanicals though. The servicing intervals should be the same at the UK models.

----------------------
WRX STi Type-R V5
330bhp

Last edited by CyprusScooby; 27 November 2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 27 November 2004, 07:54 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I fancy an sti V myself but wagons are very rare
Old 27 November 2004, 07:59 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

why is there so many 93 L reg wrx for sale?can they not get them insured for being over 10 years old?
Old 27 November 2004, 08:52 PM
xvw
Scooby Regular

Smile

im also looking to buy a import wrx and to be honest i know nothing about subarus but hey i gotta start somewhere, im going to look with the cash in my pocket at a 93 wrx tomorrow, any advice what to look out for anyone, i know its been derestricted and bought to mph etc...

cheers you may be seeing more of me
Old 27 November 2004, 09:29 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by xvw
im also looking to buy a import wrx and to be honest i know nothing about subarus but hey i gotta start somewhere, im going to look with the cash in my pocket at a 93 wrx tomorrow, any advice what to look out for anyone, i know its been derestricted and bought to mph etc...

cheers you may be seeing more of me
Check underneath to see if it has been undersealed! Ive seen some early WRXs that havent been undersealed and they have been badly coroded. Also whilst underneath, check for bent or recently replaced links and distorted front wishbone mounts that indicate accident damage.
Also check for the usual misaligned body panels, and signs of respray on the rubbers and seals and for parking dings (A common problem for Scoobys).
Old 27 November 2004, 10:00 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

they came from the factory with most of those faults as standard cyprus

if you're brave enough you can underseal effectively and cheaply yourself with used engine oil- just paint it on. trick of the trade (I used to be in it)
Old 27 November 2004, 10:03 PM
richir rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
they came from the factory with most of those faults as standard cyprus

if you're brave enough you can underseal effectively and cheaply yourself with used engine oil- just paint it on. trick of the trade (I used to be in it)
mum
Old 28 November 2004, 10:34 AM
redeye
Scooby Regular

mmm dont think id be keen on doing that.onder2: