Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Waving - or lack of - This old chestnut!

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2000, 04:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove down to Bournemouth and back to sunny Northampton last Friday - being the friendly person that i am i waved at 9 Scoobys - not one wave back, just ignored!
I could understand it if they knew me or did i miss something and has waving been banned/ out of vogue?
Old 03 July 2000, 05:32 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have been religiously waving /flashing (lights only!)at Scoobs since the last time this chestnut was being discussed, and not once have I had a response.As a Sport driver, I assumed that perhaps I am not deemed to be worthy of acknowledgement, but maybe this is not the case, and it's just not considered friendly any more.
So anyone Stockport/Cheshire area? Go on, give us a wave.You know you want to!!
Old 03 July 2000, 05:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Dear SPJ
2 or so of the cars i waved @ where 'Sport' models - i do not differenciate i just wave anyway - no snobbery here you know! - God that sounds snobby - If it is an Impreza i wave - or have done so far!
Old 03 July 2000, 08:00 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Glad you put the post up - I was about to do the same thing. Got a wave from a bloke in a blue sport wagon this morning - totally ignored by two turbo drivers.

Coming home, passed 4 turbo's - not a thing. Bunch of Ar$e as 'Loaded' would say. I'll still carrying on waving though.

If I'm in your neck of the woods guys, you'll get a wave from me
Old 03 July 2000, 09:12 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Guys it might be just the area you're in, I always seem to get a wave from most people - except when travelling the opposite side of the motorway of course - something to do with the speed no doubt!!!!
Old 03 July 2000, 11:29 PM
Simon West
Scooby Regular

Wink

I to am a fellow Sport driver and seem to get little response to my waves. Seems to be a very friendly dark blue EVO owner in Kidderminster though, he waves every time; and normally gives me an earfull of turbo boost as he goes past Awsome looking car.
Old 04 July 2000, 12:39 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Get yourselves to Yorkshire then.

I was up there visiting the Motherland a couple of months ago.

M606 to Leeds Bradford Airport - 20 - 30 Minutes. 9 Impreza's ( all varieties ) - 9 Waves or flashes.

Old 04 July 2000, 12:49 AM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Another danger of aknowledging other Scooby drivers is when other drivers mis-interpret your actions.

Driving along in Mortlake (SW London) on Saturday I flashed a Silver 5 door coming the other way - if it was you, do you live locally?. He responded with a wave, but a Golf that was about to pull out of a parking space almost thought I was letting him out - luckily the fact that I didn't slow down made him realise that this wasn't the case.

Be careful when flashing!!

Peter
MY00 Silver
Old 04 July 2000, 01:15 AM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Question

So what is the Scooby wave? A full on, frantic hands off the wheel type wave, or just a little raised finger (not the middle one I might add ) ?
Old 04 July 2000, 09:37 AM
S55 DVM
Scooby Regular

Talking

It seems that here in Aberdeen the only way to get a response is to do a Coulthard "w@nker" wave!

Too many fat middle aged blokes here driving their Scoobs with the engine barely ticking over..

I've actually given up trying!

Old 04 July 2000, 10:57 AM
Paulie
Scooby Newbie

Cool

on the subject of the 'correct' wave, it tends to vary. The coolest one I've had so far was on Saturday, M4, just a simple slow (non offensive) digit-raise...

unlike my own efforts which usually end in me wiping ciggy ash on the window/ceiling...

is there a course/FAQ on this?
Old 04 July 2000, 11:20 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes - I'd be interested in further information / training on the specific etiquette employed in signalling another scooby driver

Mind you, as in Aberdeen, here in Edinburgh the "Coulthard Signal" tends to be the only way to guarantee a response!!

I say (for what it's worth) lets maintain the tradition have more "alright mate" waves.

- Maybe Subaru U.K. could put something in the handbook?

Rich
Old 04 July 2000, 11:28 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

Will I ever wave?

If I have company in the car, no. I get enough stick for my enthusiasm for a car I don't yet have already.

And if you're in a sport? - do me a favour - if your going to get an impreza, and not make the effort of putting a turbo in it, explain to me why I should acknoledge you!

But if you have a turbo, I may point my finger at you, wink, and make a click sound.

I could of course be lying through my teeth - except for the with company bit - then I might just flash my lights and deny it to all passengers
Old 04 July 2000, 11:33 AM
Rider
Scooby Regular

The problem with waving at other Scooby drivers is the reaction time: by the time you've both recognised the fog lights/bonnet scoops (you Sport drivers aren't helping by not having an immediately recognisable bonnet!) you're approaching one another at a mean speed of about 200mph and according to Einstien's Theory of Relativity, by the time you've lifted your hand to wave or flash your lights, you're in the next county (or region, if you're an ex-pat Jock like me).

There are a few Imps around Colchester and Ipswich who return light flashes and waves, including a nice P1 that seems to be owned by someone far, far too young to be able to afford one. But that's not just jealousy speaking. No sir.

When I had bikes, everyone used to wave at each other, but I s'pose there are just too many "geezahs" driving Scoobys now, and that means that common courtesy takes a back seat, Mr Chumley-Warner…
Old 04 July 2000, 12:46 PM
Badger
Scooby Regular

Spj/Simon My Bro's got a Focus 2ltr Zetec at the moment which he says is c$*p (aprox 7 months old) & after driving my My99 turbo he is looking at changing to a Scooby Sport. How do you rate them performance/mpg/insurance etc any info appreciated.
Paul.
Old 04 July 2000, 01:09 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Being one of the more refined owners living in Essex I find the polite uplifting of a digit from the steering wheel is enough to attract a suitable acknowledgment

On a lighter note, there is a MY00 near me who has varying reactions depending on who is driving it. If the bloke is driving he goes past my house without taking his eyes off the road. However, if his lady is driving she always looks for the Scooby on my drive, and waves frantically if I happen to be there as well oooh errrr

Yex - recently married and not wanting too much trouble

PS: Badger,

Whilst looking through the Lancaster website yesterday they were advertising a Sport special edition with much of the turbo goodies (spoiler, seats etc), but only if you wanted it in black or putrid (sp?) yellow.
Old 04 July 2000, 01:59 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Replies as follows:

Badger: I find the Sport great to drive, excellent handling, mpg about 30-ish around town, and reasonable insurance premiums.Still turns the heads (it's just SOME Turbo owners who think it's not a real Scoob!), and is probably less likely to attract the 'light finger' brigade.Unfortunately, it does attract the oh so common Nova-nobrainsaurus, and the slightly less common Fiesta-nobrainsaurus. Those scummy creatures bound to be hanging on your tail, or egging you on for a race at the lights!

Triggaaar:I assume your comment is rather tongue in cheek, if not, then sadly it seems to be a return the Snobbish/Elitist attitude which seems to have been evident on this board lately.Unfortunately, when I bought my car , as I was spending 15 grand, I wanted a new one, and therefore could not afford a Turbo.At the end of the day it is a Scooby when all's said and done.I assume that you would be happy therefore for someone in a 22B, not acknowledging you because you haven't spent 40 odd grand on YOUR motor.(guessing that you don't drive a 22B!)

Rider: I think you may find that from a distance, the front fogs are more noticeable than the scoop.So, spot the fogs, prepare to wave.Forget whether it's a Turbo or not!

Come on guys, surely supposed level headed adults shouldn't be resorting to the 'my car's better than your car'playground type of attitude.All our cars have the same name on the boot and we're all enthusiasts, no matter what our disposable income!

All sensible responses most welcome.
Old 04 July 2000, 06:49 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

Had an interesting one today:
Joined the A3 from the B3000 and came up behind a Silver Impreza, he then dutifully pulled over, slowed down to let me past and then pulled out behind. My daughter waved from the passenger seat as we went past and he flashed from behind when he left at the next Junction. A quick fumble for the Hazards followed just to acknowledge the flash and not appear rude
Kevin
P1

[This message has been edited by Kevin Tree (edited 04-07-2000).]
Old 04 July 2000, 07:43 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I try to wave / flash lights at any oncomimg Impreza, but can sometimes be difficult if the closing speed is too great! Generally only get waved to by turbo/wrx drivers. What is the etiquette on the dual carriageway/motorway?
Old 04 July 2000, 08:16 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

SPJ,

Ok, ok, don't sweat it! I did say 'I could of course be lying through my teeth'
Old 04 July 2000, 08:44 PM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

One of the problems is of course that you wave and get no response and feel a right pratt, consequently the next time you think I'll wait to see if they wave first, and of course they dont 'cause they're probably thinking exactly the same! Another is the "who's in the car with you" problem, when the wife and/or kids think you've gone soft in the head when you do a wave. "Who were you waving to dad?" " that imprezza" dead silence then a little snigger. So of course a little reluctant to wave when accompanied.

Bit of a pleasant experience on the M1 last Friday morning in the pouring rain. I was poodling along in heavy traffic (60 ish) in middle lane on my mobile (hands free), looked right to see nice looking young lady in 206 tracking me with huge smile on face. She either liked the P1 or thought i was babbling to myself. Like I'm doing now.
Cheers
Phil
Old 05 July 2000, 02:04 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

I wave at Turbo Scoobs, Sport Scoobs, Legacys, old people, policemen, fit birds and old VW beetles. I also give the thumbs up sign to hitchikers as I drive past....well they all are doing to me first!!

Stu
Old 05 July 2000, 02:10 PM
Rider
Scooby Regular

Smile

SPJ,
Your point about the fogs is noted, but hard on dual carraigeways.
And I've decided not to wave at Sport drivers if you're all getting nigh on 30 to the gallon!
Old 05 July 2000, 06:10 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Perhaps the SIDC should run a one day NVQ in Scooby Etiquette for all new members.

This could include seperate units with topics like:
Impreza identification at speed
Waving (only if you can spare your hands from the important job)(=)
Flashing(be careful who is looking before you do)
How not to be intimadated by Nova's.
How to do 30 in a built up area.
How to avoid offending people on Scoobynet
How to talk to Plod when they pull you up to check it's yours.

Chris
Old 05 July 2000, 11:31 PM
Simon West
Scooby Regular

Cool

Reply to Badger

As per SPJ I find my Sport great fun to drive. Handling is spot on (std. turbo suspension fitted) and car is great for playing the head turning game, especially with ScoobySport exhaust fitted. I pay around £500 for insurance with Privilege, but I think this is high due to the number of car mods. I have. Before I had an Impreza I could not believe these people who take an hour to collect the paper from the corner shop, then you have one and realise what you've been missing
No kids myself, but my sisters kids fight over who is going out in the car with me; my Nephew waves more than I do!!
Old 08 July 2000, 09:17 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Just to add my bit to the waving dedate - I've NEVER had a response to my waves, and that's from Sport's, Turbo's or WRX's.

Either my windscreen is so reflective no-one can see inside, or dk green 5-door Turbo's are so low on the Impreza food chain not even Nova's want to race me

Or are you all trying to tell me something?

Steve
Old 09 July 2000, 10:44 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Drove to Scotland recently. One one Saturday morning driving up past Glasgow and Loch Lomond we saw five Scoobies and waved at them all but not one of them waved back . Most of them were driven by middle-aged blokes. Much younger and friendlier around South London/Surrey where we usually drive .

The only wave we got in Scotland was from an old farmer type in a 5-door standard Impreza.

I wave to Justy's .

[This message has been edited by DavidG (edited 09-07-2000).]
Old 10 July 2000, 12:16 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, I try to wave, but a combination of the "fast closing speed" argument and the "waved four times before and never had a response" is starting to get to me.

So if anyone gets ignored by a silver-wheeled Terzo around Reigate (just moved from Sussex) - sorry in advance!

BJH