surbaru security tracker..

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2004, 07:02 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surbaru security tracker..

Morning All...

My current car, MG ZR160, has a RAC Trakstar tracker system fitted to it. Believe me the car was a nightmare to ensure a couple of years ago because of poor secuirty and I needed this bit of kit. Cost me about £500 with installation plus 100 a year sub...

Anyway, going to order scooby today. Both insurance companies I might go with (could be L&V) have not specified the need for a tracker. Normally I would just accept this. However, since I have one ...

1) Would you recommend I get it transfered over to the new car (I guess I have nothing to loose other than moving costs, but I will not save insurance)

2) Anyone had any experience of getting this reinstalled on another car. It seems a great deal of hassle to arrange for someone (who ever they will be?) to take it out of one car and put it into another on the day of purchase ...

... my current MG insurance does not require the tracker, so I guess one option is to get it taken out of current car say a week before scooby arrives. ?

I would love to do it myself, but I have no idea where the device is installed (which I guess is the whole point!)..

any thoughts?

cheers

MArk
Old 06 June 2004, 10:52 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

I think it is possible to move them between cars (AFAIR from RAC website but check with them first to make sure ) but it's not something to try yourself . Apart from physically doing the swap-over, the main bit is getting the subscription details changed over so if you ever need it then they know which car they are looking for etc or don't turn round and say that the cover was cancelled when you changed it over without either party telling the other etc...

For insurance purposes, they'd probably want proof of fitting etc which generally means a professional job and faxing them a a copy of the installation / job sheet. As you say, you don't know where it officially is in the car and you don't have an installation checklist / manual on how to remove it so it's not worth having a go unless you let the local ******* find it and leave it by the side of the road somewhere...

Also, depending where you are, would you want to have a scoob without a tracking device on or are you one of the people who wouldn't want it back at all if it was nicked?

Andy
Old 06 June 2004, 10:55 AM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

i think new scoobys have them on as standard. mine a my03 sti has.
Old 06 June 2004, 11:01 AM
Shortboy
Scooby Regular

Yep, new (03 on, I think) STi's have trackstar as standard.
Old 06 June 2004, 11:03 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Only UK STis have, WRXs and earlier don't...
Old 06 June 2004, 11:03 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by W 12 X T C
i think new scoobys have them on as standard. mine a my03 sti has.
thanks, this is a WRX PPP - I onlu think the STI has it as standard ,,,

MArk
Old 06 June 2004, 11:05 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
....people who wouldn't want it back at all if it was nicked?
Andy
Thanks ...

Ok, looks like a proper job is required (fine). I must admit I found RAC not that helpful when it comes to moving these things. Furthermore, even installers seem less keen as they are not getting much commission
Old 06 June 2004, 12:59 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

The other option is to sell it with the MG for a bit of a premium (higher spec / increased security) and then start afresh with the scoob...
Old 06 June 2004, 03:01 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

I left my old scoob go with the tracker on... more saleable with it installed! could make hell of a mess trying to get it all out etc.... the fitters didnt really do a good job installing it on the old one!

Had the new WRX fitted but had a 50% discount from Scoob UK becuase the trade in car had a tracker! (do a deal)
Old 06 June 2004, 10:55 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Read the small print, I know on RAC trackstar and Tracker units it says the unit is non transferable and vehicle specific, they also have a 10 year design life.