ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Car Security and House Security

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2000, 05:22 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We all love our Subarus and we spend loads of money on their security (I’ve a Clifford 50x and an Autolok 2000) but what about house security?

This might sound stupid but my home is more important than my car and yet there seems to be people on the BBS with no house alarms.

So the crims come along and see that the Scooby has nearly impenetrable security then they look at the house see that it hasn’t got ANY alarm and proceed to break in easily, take the car keys and drive away.

When I moved into my house I fitted a good alarm and got window locks to stop burglars but as a added bonus it also deters car thieves as well.

Am I making any sense?

[This message has been edited by KevMac (edited 14 August 2000).]
Old 14 August 2000, 07:08 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

hmm,

one solution is to always keep your keys with you, regardless of where you are or if you have left the car at home. My keys are always in my pocket, so I know where they are (even when I'm abroard!).

The spare is kept hidden away, seperate from the alarm device, and separate again from my disclock key.

Paranoid - perhaps, but judging from some of the comments here, you can't be too careful.

Dave
Old 14 August 2000, 09:07 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Happened to us at the end of November. Scooby had gearbox lock as well as standard alarm and immobiliser. Broke into house & took the keys. Didn't know we had 'box lock and so legged it after I had heard something and went downstairs with my parents. Police scrambled chopper and later caught them (one had dropped *** in the car - got the DNA from it). Since then we have got our house alarmed, floodlights front and rear and a disklock for the car. And we park the other car in front of the Scoob, which is reversed into drive.

Still saw some git looking at it at around 2 a.m. in the morning a few weeks back.

Old 14 August 2000, 09:09 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

KevMac,
Visiting the emerald isle on Saturday for 2 weeks, 30 miles south of Cork, coming over in our yellow scooby wrx sti 6, may meet up for some of the black stuff eh ?
Old 14 August 2000, 10:36 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

If some of you are going to get an alarm for your house d'not get caught with big costly systems i work for a nacoss company as with most companys they can and do charge a fortune for them! just for a bit of paper
that say nacoss approved installer on it try and find a local installer who works for a company to fit your alarm you can save a lot of mony this way, the kit should cost for a standard house is about £200 - £350 plus fitting if not fit a decoy box not one from a diy store as any normal crim will know that it is a diy special.

Try and stay away from rental and wirless alarms they will cost you more in the long run!!

I hope this can help some of you out there

Huxley
Old 14 August 2000, 11:04 PM
ChrisB

Get yourself a decent dog.

Most will hear somebody messing with your car or coming in the back door long before you, enabling you to retrieve your 9 iron and prepare for some golf practice……

Ours is only small (Cairn Terrier) but he's a vicious little bugger when you upset him – blood can be drawn on request.

I remember one night he started barking like mad – the problem was a hedgehog sneaking across the front lawn.

Always take your keys / wallet / mobile etc upstairs at night.

Floodlights can be a good idea, but they do let somebody sneak around without punting the milk crate or bin down the path (and thus waking you up).

Chris.
Old 15 August 2000, 08:31 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi All,

Two days after taking delivery of my Scoob in March '99 we had an attempted break-in. The police reckoned they were after keys to the car (which was on the drive), and if it hadn't been for my milkman neighbour they may have got in (they got away though).

Since that day, the car has been in the garage, which is double alarmed and has an anti jacking device on the door, (shoots a bolt across the frame when the garage door is lifted before alarm is de activated). The house is like Fort Knox, motion sensors, day lighters etc etc.

My house also backs onto fields which makes it vulnerable. There is a drop from my back garden, over the fence onto a footpath so the only people who come over the fence are ones intent on climbing over for no good purpose.
The next people who attempt this will find creosote painted carpet gripper rods on the inside lip.

It's just a shame that you have to do it

blubs
Old 15 August 2000, 12:07 PM
sourob
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yep,definetly dogs do the trick(German shepherd,8st dobermann)no one will walk down my drive and mess with the scoob(Even the relatives dont visit anymore )
Old 15 August 2000, 12:57 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

Now thats a good idea to keep the relatives away!!

Huxley
Old 15 August 2000, 12:59 PM
Glenn
Scooby Regular

Sourob, the expression, two birds / one stone springs to mind !
Old 15 August 2000, 01:47 PM
Bal
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it.

We had an attempted break in a while back:
3 cars on the drive , my dad was sat downstairs watching tv with the lightS on (4am). And some twit tried to break in looking for the keys to my scoob.
It won't have been anyone local cos most people know that I'm a second dan black belt in streetfighting and japanese swordsmanship at the local sports centre.
Bloody nightmare , you work your **** off so that you can buy and enjoy a fast car and someone just wants to take it away from you.

Bal
Old 15 August 2000, 01:58 PM
BrewandBake
Scooby Regular

Dogs Rule !
My parents have a Rhodesian Ridgeback - 9.5 Stone of muscle.
The paperman/milkman/binmen are all terrified of her & I bet it the word gets out in the area that she is on patrol.
She also has free roam of the house at night & makes a hell of a noise if she hears anything outside......

Brew.
Old 15 August 2000, 06:38 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Question

I know what you all mean but my original point still stands: Why bother to spend your hard earned cash on a top notch Scooby alarm but then have NO alarm on your house and so the scum can just walk in and take the car keys?
Old 15 August 2000, 07:18 PM
ChrisB

No alarm as the dog would set it off.....

Alarms are pointless unless they trigger at a call centre (ala BT Red Care). They are very much like car alarms - we all ignore them and carry on past.

Brewandbake - A Rhodesian Ridgeback is not a dog, more of a horse

Chris.
Old 15 August 2000, 07:52 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice dog Chris, the lion killers of africa if im not mistaken

Simon

Oops helps if i read all message sorry brewandBake

[This message has been edited by Mr.Cookie (edited 15 August 2000).]
Old 15 August 2000, 10:44 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Why not link your car to your house alarm at least you should know if someone is trying to nick the car in the middle of the night. I am about to have a go at this and will post again if I can get it to work. This may seem a bit far fetched but it is unlikely that your average criminal is going to hang around at night having bypassed you Cat 1 if your house alarm is going nuts.

Brendan
Old 16 August 2000, 08:00 AM
BrewandBake
Scooby Regular

Mr Cookie

Yup - they use packs of Ridgebacks to corner & contain lions out there.
Whenever it wants to "play" I always end up worse off (last time it broke my arm a during playfull wrestle !!)

Brew.
Old 16 August 2000, 11:15 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

There is a unit on the market that you conect a cable to any metal part of your car via croc clip that detects any body touching it, it conects to a control box in the house i think it used to be sold by a company called scope marketing
Old 17 August 2000, 09:43 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My solution to home security?

Buy a Weimaraner. Our little maggie is very cute, but she sounds really, really nasty when she barks, sometimes worries me when I come in late and she has a little bark. She's only 6 months old but she sounds like a fully grown killing machine.

Only problem is she'd probably lick the scum to death, but not before I am woken up and club them with the handy 4 cell maglite that I keep near the bed for these special occasions ('yes officer, I had the torch to hand for when I take the pup out in the middle of the night )

Seriously though, my house's security is not what it should be, I'm not about to say what system I do/don't have, as I'm totally paranoid But suffice to say that I and the other members of my household can be woken very easilly and we're not very good at being woken up, and at least one of us has a baseball bat handy, plus a cordless drill (don't ask )

The point made by KevMac is a very valid one, what's the point in securing the scooby if someone just has to jemmy your door and take the keys from inside the door. Guess my only other saving grace is that the HKS HiperDrager should alert the whole street to someone nicking the car, less they just chuck it on a lorry.
Old 30 December 2007, 07:40 PM
jockc79
Scooby Regular

no surely not