Sponsored by:

Going to test drive an NSX today He He He

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2003, 01:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Cool

Well, it's been on the cards for a long time to replace my SCOOBY (just to justify it being in general ) for something a little more different.

But thanks my finances its been out my reach, so I'm stuck with my subaru and may even have to swap for a luke warm diesel

But that didn't stop the old man showing signs of interest when I showed him a few at shows or dealers (plan B ), so a mate who happens to be a dealer (mind, dealers are never TRUE mates are they? ) has tracked one down at a good price and he's bringing it over this afternoon

1st time I will have the opertunity to drive one, can't wait to get that VTEC kicking in at umpteen thousand revs

edit: the excitement has messed up my english skills

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/20/2003 1:03:42 PM]
Old 20 December 2003, 01:19 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck and remember the awd wont save you in an nsx, so take it easy. Great car though.
Old 20 December 2003, 01:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

AWD...pah!
Old 20 December 2003, 03:38 PM
Mr Magoo
Scooby Regular

Angry

wot a messer...test driving a car that you cant afford kn08 for brains.

No wonder dealers are hacked off will idiots like you
Old 20 December 2003, 04:48 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

it reads to me like his dad is testing the car to buy and he is just going to have a chance at driving it too.

Or am i missing something?
Old 20 December 2003, 04:52 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

What's up with that?
I test drove a P1 a few years back, when i had absolutely no intention of buying - just blagged that I could afford the 25k Had fun, didn't buy it, but got a scooby a couple of years later, after falling in love with the way the P1 drove. Now what's wrong with that?
I wouldn't do that to a private seller though, as that is time-wasting. Dealers get paid to be there, and they generally rip people off, so I think everyone should do it
Old 20 December 2003, 07:34 PM
taffyterzo
Scooby Regular

Mr Magoo, chill out man,
how can anyone have any sympathy for dealers anyway!
Old 20 December 2003, 07:43 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Mr Magoos a dealer pmsl!!!!!
Old 21 December 2003, 11:58 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs down

wot a messer...test driving a car that you cant afford kn08 for brains
WTF???? I suggest you READ before posting Mr Magoo

Anyway....It was the DEALER WHO MESSED US ABOUT yesterday, never showed up [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] - so the same comment that you made about me applies to the dealer

It's your job to try and get a customer interested in a vehicle, if you can't be arsed to put some effort in yourself then it's your own fault and not potential customers. So I suppose Mr Magoo calls anyone who walks away from a car a timewaster Because someone looks at a car or tests drives it - It never means that person is going to buy it - just shows an interest in it.

For me a test drive is the 1st thing I do before I even say I am interested a car. If it drives like a bag of sh1te, then I'll say no thanks and walk away. So, do I get called a timewaster for this??? Get real!!! It's all part of getting the customer to find the car most suited to them.

As as for me not being able to afford one, well, truth is I CAN. Just I'm not willing to throw £25K on a "toy" and put up with extra burden of finance etc.

[Flame Thrower = OFF]

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/21/2003 12:02:38 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 01:20 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If you never test drove a car that was currently a bit out of your reach, you'd never know whether the dream was worth pursuing, would you? It's a bit late to test drive it when you're halfway down the road of buying it. The dealer's got leverage over you rather than the other way round, which is not what you want. Showing an interest then walking away is a significant part of the buyer's negotiating arsenal, in my opinion. It doesn't sound as if Ali-B makes a career out of this sort of thing, anyway.
Old 22 December 2003, 01:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

2nd attempt - going to see it later after Lunch

(fingers crossed)
Old 22 December 2003, 01:49 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hope u have fun and its a manual one. mine's an auto and it's snail compared to a well modded scooby (my old v4 type R) but very very drivable 'super-car'. very good on track as well!

enjoy.
Old 22 December 2003, 05:33 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

My mate is coming up next Monday in his NSX so we'll have a blast in each others motors - must admit I'm looking forward to it.

As for the test drive comments, I think dealers have to do their own background work on someone just being a tyre kicker or "in a position to buy". I can understand dealers getting pissed off with joy riders however my aproach would be to tell them that it was for a future potential purchase and if they refused the test drive then I would definately not buy one from them (I've done this).

KT Green near Otley were very accommodating offerring me a drive in a WRX and STi speculatively with none of this "lets work the deal out first and you buy subject to the test drive" **** - hey presto I bought one! I bloody hate high pressure sales people and I'm in sales!
Old 22 December 2003, 05:56 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

I agree that sometimes dealers are sometimes complete idiots.

I wanted to buy a Scooby in June, but had never driven one before. Testdrove 3 different models with one dealer and another with a different dealer. I said that I will order one on Mon (test drives on a Sat), I just wanted each dealer to get back to me with their best price.

Neither called, so I picked up the phone, shopped around and placed and order for a new WRX with a dealer who I'd never met but was polite and called me back with all the info I needed and gave agood price.

Original dealers may have thought I was a time waster, but if they did then why did they bother to take me on test drives lasting a few hours!!! I think they were just cr@p and / or lazy salesmen.

Loosers.
Old 22 December 2003, 06:15 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Smile

Are you a dealer Magoo? Just took a look at your vip thats all.
Old 22 December 2003, 06:15 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

We generally buy off people we like and the answer about the call back is that most sales people fail because they are accommodating when being reactive but when it comes to the proactive bit - i.e. to remember the call back then the numpties lose out!
Old 22 December 2003, 07:45 PM
Lemon
Scooby Newbie

How many active dealers on this site?
If this is how they speak of their customers, imagine what they say and do when they *think* you can't see or hear them...
Old 22 December 2003, 10:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Well I got to drive it at last

The grin say's it all!

It's everything that I wanted my Scoob to be. And all the praise over it being a drivers car is well deserved. Very driveable car, most certainly useable everyday. I can also understand why they burn out so many clutches...the bite is very similar to that of an early 911, but you get use to it - so I'd guess poor clutch life is down to bad driving techniques.

It's a very smooth engine and lovely instant gutsy torque and gives a fantastic roar when you get the revs up. Could'nt really feel the VTEC stuff kick in either (5500rpm IIRC). I'm not sure if it's as quick as my scoob, certainly not much in it in terms of a straight line off the the mark. But I'd guess the NSX would definetly have the upper hand top-end and in the twisties Speed is VERY deceptive (even more than the scoob). Steering and brakes are just right too.

Gripes? Well, I suppose some of the switches are not in the most obvious or ergonomic of places, and you can see eff all reversing. But hey it's a supercar - it's got to have something wrong with it!

Well, did we buy it? Oh yes deposit is down and barring the usual conditions and getting the rear bumper re-sprayed (refer to above vision problems ) It's mine, oh, err, ahh .....It's my Dad's - doh!....... Daaaaaad! can I borrow the car?

I wonder if he'll swap for my scoob?

FTA of Mr Magoo: Timewaster -eh?

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/22/2003 10:52:44 PM]
Old 22 December 2003, 10:55 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I was sooooo tempted to get an NSX. But when I had the money to burn, there were none around in the correct price range (~£20-£22k). Well there were some, but they all had >80k miles and I wanted a £20k car to be "special" and not stonechipped, etc.

Ended up buying a TVR Cerbera (back to the dealer tomorrow to get the windows fixed ) instead, which has the advantage of being a 2+2, or more accurately a 2+1. But I'm pretty sure I will get an NSX one day...