Sponsored by:

slicks

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2000, 04:30 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I want to attend a track day but was wondering if it will shred the tyres on my aftermarket 17's (expensive). If it will, is it better to use my OE 16's with the crappy standard Bridgestones (not SO2's)? Is it possible to fit slicks to my 16's and is it worth it/how much/where from etc? Would slicks be the best option? If you go to a track day and use a spare set of alloys are the set you take off safe from thieving b*stards in the crowd?

Any information appreciated
Old 30 May 2000, 05:45 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Ernie.

It really depends on how and where you're driving.
It is possible to do a track day on decent road tyres and suffer very little wear if you drive 'conservatively'.
IMHO it is well worth using your old wheels with OE tyres to begin with as they are more than adequate for track use and it won't be so expensive if you do ruin them.
There are normally facilities at SIDC track days to change wheels/tyres anyway, so it's not too inconvenient.
Once you have gotten the bug, slicks are the next step. I've recently started using them and the difference is amazing.
I managed to get some from a friend, although you may be able to hire some or buy some used ones. If not, you can get them from Demon Tweeks for about £60 each anyway.
I suggest you stick your old wheels on to begin with, and see how you get on.

Stef.
Old 30 May 2000, 06:10 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stef

Thanks for the advice. I want to do the SIDC/Chelmsford police driver training course. Is it worth doing this before attending a track day? What is a particularly good track day to attend?

Any more help appreciated
Old 31 May 2000, 06:09 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Ernie.

The SIDC course is aimed more at safety on the road, but I suppose it can only help on track.
For a good first track day, have a look at the events section.
There's a topic there regarding an airfield day on 24/7, which would be a good one to start with.

Stef.