slicks or performance tyres

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2001, 10:53 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

hi there
has anyone experienced the difference between slicks or performance tyres such as the Yoko A038R or A032R ? talking to people with a lot of experience in circuit racing around the UK ( ie brands, donni, etc..) they reckon that full slicks will not be very beneficial on a road car with road suspension ( even if it was Leda ) as all these are far too soft of proper slicks. however competition tyres would be more suited ?

can any one shed some light on this matter,please.?i would like to get a set of tyres mainly for track use to preserve my road tyres but now i am even more confused.

thanks in advance

sam
Old 29 January 2001, 11:18 PM
JohnS

Lightbulb

Sam,

I believe that some of the road legal competition tyres do offer almost as good grip in the dry as slicks, and quite a bit more in the wet. They are also road legal, so you can drive to an event with them on the car. However, depending on how hard you push your car , they may not be legal for the drive home again.

They are also more expensive than slicks. I would recommend trying to find a suitable set of 16 inch wheels, and sourcing a set of 2nd hand slicks (perhaps someone reading this will sell both as a package!).

It is true that you will put more strain on your suspension (and brakes) using slicks in the dry, but lots of people have done it in the past without problems.

They do take a few laps to warm up though.
Old 30 January 2001, 11:48 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sam,

I've been searching for tyres like the A038R too for the scoob in 17" but in vain. Unfortunately I can't go to 16" (wouldn't really want to either!)as the wheels wouldn't clear the brake discs. Guess we'll just have to wait until one comes out in a suitable size.

Nito
Old 30 January 2001, 10:38 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks john, nito
i have got a set of 16inch alloys so it will be a waste of i don't keep them warm with some tyres for track days I am doing 3 within 4 weeks ( donni, croft and knockhill ) at the end of it my road tyres will be absolutely ****ed.

Nito so do you agree that the A038R will give better grip than just the moulded slicks on a road car ? also in Damontweeks they only show rally ( tarmac) moulded slicks are these any good for road cars ?

john s
do you know where i can find some second hand tyres ( slicks, performance, anything ) to take withme to Donni ?

cheers

sam
Old 31 January 2001, 06:21 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

I do stock car racing on a concrete oval and I used to use part worn slicks and intermediates that came off rally cars . One set of tyres would do a days racing . Last season I bought a new set of michelin intermediates and they lasted the whole season (12 race days ) . The first 2/3 of the tyre lasts the longest so you would be better buying new tyres and get the best grip and life from them .
Old 01 February 2001, 11:34 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Apologies for my ignorance, but what are Michelin intermedaries exactly ? and where do you buy new slicks like these ?
Old 02 February 2001, 05:18 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

An intermediate is between a pure slick and a wet tyre and will suit most weather conditions . If the track is dry a slick will give you more grip but if there's a shower during a race ( as happens often in sunny Ireland )it will give a lot less so an intermediate is a good compromise . A wet is not worth considering unless it is raining heavy and there's a lot of standing water on the track . Intermediates tend to be softer than slicks ie a hard compound intermediate is softer than a hard compound slick so for a track day you would be better going for a harder compound .
You can buy competition tyres from some independant tyre dealers or most motorsports parts dealers such as Demon Tweeks . Brands such as Colway are worth considering as they are relatively cheap and are good enough for the likes of track days .
Old 03 February 2001, 02:20 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Thanks for you help guys
however i have been told to stay well clear of colway and maxsport by 2 different garages that are involved in ciruit racing and rallying. i have even been told that they could kill me because they are so crap.

i am still trying to get some slicks for the 16" alloys i have, it looks like i am have to go for new ones.

what size shall i go for ?
Old 03 February 2001, 01:04 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Sam, 16in part-worn slicks are usually not hard to get hold of, especially when the season starts.

I have a set of Dunlop SP 210/605x16 and can confirm they fit fine and are very sticky. Problem is they're sha99ed (cracks in sidewall).

Andy McG has just sold a load of slicks from the For Sale section. He's out of 16in now, but might be worth a call. Put up a Wanted ad. Alternatively, mail phil@philbennett.com as I got mine from him. And Tyres Northampton are worth a call on 01604-588599.

Hoppy

PS I've heard the classi section of Motoring News is worth a look.

[This message has been edited by Hoppy (edited 03 February 2001).]
Old 03 February 2001, 02:22 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks hoppy
i was late for Andy's tyres although i have replied within 3 hours so there must have been quite a lot of demand.

i will try the other two sources.

cheers

sam
Old 04 February 2001, 07:18 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Sam/Nito. I picked up Yokohama catalogue at the Autosport show.

The A038-R made for Lotus as a road legal semi-slick will not now be available in the sizes promised and the equally tempting A032-R is far too wide in both 16in and 17in sizes.

Which leaves the new A006T - the "ultimate tarmac tyre for... rallying."

While not road legal, they have a few short moulded grooves and there are two which will fit a Scoob no probs. 190/610x16 and 190/610x17. An 8in rim is recommended, but 7in is okay.

Has anyone tried these, or know if they are recommended for track days? I'll mail them at motorsport@yokohama.co.uk and see if I get any joy. Nobody at the show could even tell me the price and told me to go to the Rally Art stand as they had some fitted. They didn't!

Hoppy