Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2003, 07:17 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

[mods please leave here for a bit, trying to get a quick answer]

thanks...
looking to hire something fun, anyone done this before, got suggestions for where to get a fun car relatively cheap? i've heard someone's got a porsche for £150...?

please any info would be appreciated asap...

o.
Old 31 August 2003, 08:01 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Cool

Some years ago I participated in the scuderia Hanseart driving scool on Nurburgring. To US guys partivipated in two rented BMW 323 cars from hertz, one crashed his car, he called Hertz and they delivered a new car for him on the ring. He was a bit disappointed as they where only able to supply a 320.
Nurburgring is a normal told road and the Scuderia hanseart driving scool is not race.
Old 31 August 2003, 09:24 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

Wink

Try the contacts on Ben's page for somethink interesting...(i.e Merc SL55 AMG / F360 etc etc...)

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/carhire.html

I'm just back from the NS after my 3rd and final trip this year...

I had to hire a car this time, as I wasn't keen on paying the sky high ferry costs...Flew to Frankfurt, and ended up with a manual Merc C180K for £40 a day - Not the ideal ring tool, but got it to lap in around 10 mins BTG (would have been quicker with the traction control off, but a tad wary in a rental!!)

Always worth checking the likes of Budget - I tried to hire a Z4 from there, but they didn't have any available at the time...

Avis will hire 996's / Boxsters if you're over 30...Audi TT's if you're over 25...

Happy ringing

Ross.

Old 31 August 2003, 10:10 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

nice one, thanks for the pointers...
Old 01 September 2003, 12:39 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you insured when you take a hire car around the ring. Surely not
Old 01 September 2003, 01:16 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Insured on the 'ring':

Look above, check the rental firms t&c's - as it says it is a road and you're not participating in a race (as such!)

I will be booking my flight and boxster very very soon!
Old 01 September 2003, 01:47 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It's a question that has been the topic of much debate on various newsgroups for some time...

As previously mentioned, technically the Nordschleife is a one way toll Autobahn, so road insurance applies when driving on Tourist days...

<Cribbed info below from the 'ringers list...>

Most German hire companies have the following wording inserted:

"Das Fahrzeug darf nur im öffentlichen Straßenverkehr benutzt werden, nicht jedoch zu Geländefahrten, Fahrschulübungen, im Zusammenhang mit Motorsport oder zum Befahren von Rennstrecken, auch wenn diese für das allgemeine Publikum zu Test- und Übungsfahrten freigegeben sind"

Which can be interpreted as no 'ring use (Rennstrecken = Race Track), but in reality these words simply prohibit you from driving anywhere where Stvo (str.verk.ordnung) isn't fully in force, such as off-road, 'proper' racetrack, safety-training, drifting, etc... (i.e. the Ring is OK)

A nameless Brit binned a hire Audi TT into the gravel trap at Aremberg resulting in mainly paintwork scratches...He almost got off with the XS, but they apparently found his 'ring ticket in the ashtray!! (He ended up being stung for 1500-2000 Eur)

At the end of the day it's up to the hirer - Anecdotal evidence is all fine and well, but you need to be willing to face the consequences (if any) before you drive a rental on the 'ring...

(And I am )

Cheers,

Ross.

Old 01 May 2011, 08:58 AM
rent4ring
Scooby Newbie

Although this thread is rather old it still might be used as a source of information by some.

Driving a car on the Nurburgring from a rental company like Hertz, Avis and alike is definetly not a good idea anymore these days. Rental companies got stricter and stricter and most of them explicetly don't allow their cars to be driven on the Nurburgring.

During the last few years alternatives have started to pop up. There are a few race car rental companies at the Ring which specialize in providing the appropriate machines for the track.

People often look for a Porsche, BMW M3 and similar cars. Many of these folks have never ever been on the track before and that is where it gets a bit scary. The Ring IS the most dangerous racetrack in the world and it likes to proof that almost every day when the track is open for the so caled Touristenfahrten. In most cases it simply does not make any sense to do your first laps in a Porsche, BMW etc... 90% of the drivers will not be able to use even 50% of the cars potential.

The first laps on the Ring should be for purely informational purposes. Learn to find your way around the 20.8 kilometer and 70+ turns safely, get accustomed to the track. Many people say that you don't have a clue about the Nordschleife unless you have at least driven 100 laps but that certainly differs from driver to driver and is a very individual thing.

Last edited by rent4ring; 01 May 2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01 May 2011, 09:04 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Above post about to be vaped in 5................
Old 01 May 2011, 09:25 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I'd say the Isle of Man TT circuit is more dangerous.
Old 01 May 2011, 09:45 AM
rent4ring
Scooby Newbie

But that is not a permanent racetrack
Old 01 May 2011, 11:06 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rent4ring
But that is not a permanent racetrack
Pedant.
Old 01 May 2011, 11:31 AM
DamienP1
Scooby Regular

if your after fun cars for the ring then its the companys like RSR who do ring rental and its all in the cost.......however its not cheap to hire them........looking around a minimum of 500 euros for a 10 lap package wherever you go to