Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Sure About Buying An Impreza Anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2003, 09:27 PM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I have recently posted a few posts on here about buying an import WRX and have looked/driven a couple one UK one WRX. The thing that scares the crap out of me is several posts I have read on here about these cars having serious engine failure for no reason (some could have been really abused). A mechanic on here also said this big end bearing failure can affect any cars including UK ones, and people were mentioning all kinds of things about different oils etc. Which I am not sure I believe can cause this type of thing! I was gonna spend about 7K on an import, but now I am thinking of saving/borrowing more and getting a low mileage UK model with FSH for about 10K or maybe just getting an Integra Type R instead. Although I do not have a rubbish job I am not really in a position to fork out a few grand on an engine rebuild (although I do not think anyone would like it even if they are really well off!). I understand there are probably loads of people with these cars that never give any grief whatsoever but I guess I am a chicken sh*t, that maybe cannot afford to own this type of car anyway if I cannot afford the small possibility of huge repair bills. I was not also that sure about someone saying removing the spark plugs and cranking the engine to build up oil pressure after an oil change as a possible cause. I just do not buy that garages will do this type of thing, especially if the spark plugs are difficult to get at as I was led to believe about these cars? Dunno if that was true, can the fuel pump just not be dissconected some way or something to stop the engine firing when it is turned over. Guess I am just being paranoid and I do know how to treat a car with respect, just bothered if I buy one that an idiot has had before I get it. I guess the good thing these cars have going for them now is that there has to be a lot of them in breakers yards etc, as I was also thinking of Toyota GT4 ST205 but because these cars are so rare I am a little bothered about it, even though they could probably be more reliable/hardy than an Impreza. I will probably buy a scooby maybe just not right now, thanks for the advice anyway
Old 10 July 2003, 09:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

The Impreza party is over, sadly - I feel it will go the way of the Sierra Cossie .............. be worthless because of insurance and the crime wave splashing them at the moment!!

BUT, hang on and drive it - OR - pop it in a garage somewhere and the desirability will return!!

I remember the value of Sierra Cosworths dropped to about £600!! a few years later and they were worth well into the £3000 area for the good 'uns!!

Pete
Old 10 July 2003, 09:41 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Malc,

A few months ago I was in exactly the same position as you - I had about 10k to play with, 7K for the car,1K insurance, some money left over for a rainy day.

A guy recomended Snet as a good place for info, as it turned out - too good. The running costs, thief magnetism etc just put me right off - in my case the car was going to be a weekend toy as I had sold my westfield - I wanted something with some ooomph, but a certain amount of safety, as I just did not feel safe in the westfild anymore ( plus I had just got the Proffesional licence on Gran Tourismo 3 ) and was probably at the peak of my driving ability/carrer - this is true - whenever I went out in the westie I felt obliged to get opposite lock , in the end I decided I would eventually come unstuck - and I didn't want to do it in a fibreglass bathtub, with all the side impact protect of a Dairylea triangle.

In the end my circumstances changed, as the house I was buying with a garage fell through - so I couldnt get a scoob anymore - well not insure it for reasonable money, with no garage.

I am not gutted I never got the scoob - Some times I think I should just go for it, other times I think naaaaah, I'll keep my money nice & safe.
Old 10 July 2003, 09:49 PM
aroadwarrior
Scooby Regular

Same situation mate. 10k about, spent 8 on a UK Scoob. Decided what the hell, if the engine goes I get it fixed and I have a car with a new engine! Fair enough it costs some wedge but at least it should only happen once in the car's life with you. Plus I wanted one before the government puts cameras everywhere and the missus decides that we should have kids and slow(er) cars! :-(
Old 10 July 2003, 09:50 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

I was close to getting a scooby. The wife hated them. It was not worth a divorce. So i bought a seat Ibiza 1.8 20vt, chipped it put an exhaust on. It has 200bhp and goes quite well=to a bug eyed wrx ppp scooby. And they dont draw the attention like a scoob. But i still love scoobs.
Old 10 July 2003, 09:50 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

i think your fears are that you might get sold a wrongun.

there is alot of choice out there at the moment, in terms of second hand motors.

you are right in what you say about huge repair bills always a possibility.

however i would say that if you look at enough motors (assuming you have not already done so) and hold out for the right one, i think you will be ok.

either that or buy and import wagon with low miles.

the wagon i would say is the more likely unabused version! i would say that as i am a wagon owner though.they are equally as good as a saloon and certainly deliver the goods.

my twopence

weava
Old 10 July 2003, 10:30 PM
Kris Nitro
Scooby Newbie

I've bought it and telled the missus it three weeks later. Only 30 minutes picture without sound. He (She) will be deliveren in august (MY03wagon Blue- Gold wheels)

Her greatest problem was the color ("why not in grey?")
Old 10 July 2003, 11:12 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

i just bought my first scooby i went for the wagon as well. i thought there was less chance of it going than the three 4 doors up the road. i paid £8600 for a year 2000 uk wagon with full subaru service history (inc body warranty). i got the name of the company that had had it,rang them up and asked to speak to the guy who had driven it,she said he was in a board meeting and he would ring back.when he did he told me all the history of the car (inc how he had reversed into a post scuffing the bumper(which had been repaired)),he even said the guy who bought it off them test drove it,and he asked them to slow down.he did not now the car went that fast.this gave me a indication of the way it was driven. i then rang A & J White who confirmed all the details from the service history etc and told the car had always had everything it needed. since i picked it up i've had a great grin on my face,and feel quite safe in the wagon.
Old 10 July 2003, 11:24 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

i thought about a impreza for a while too but the theft aspect put me of so i settled for a legacy turbo wagon instead saved a wad of cash too it has a genuin clocked! 89000 probably more like 189000! but the engine is brill and seams like the origional clutches go more than engines do

ive never seen a £600 cossie not one that could be driven anyway!

i payed 1800 for mine and i love it
Old 10 July 2003, 11:51 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

If you are crazy about Scoob,you will by it no matter what!I have no garage but I live in a very safe place with my own drive.Even then the thieves from Liverpool tried to nick it.They didn't succeed.So far all those failure stories you hear,imports are a gamble but buy a UK one and buy it as standard and go for HPI/AA check etc.Just know that it's not a cheap car to run.Insurance,fuel,service and wear n' tear-it's all skyrocketing.
Extra unwanted expenses e.g.points on license and fines are not exactly unavoidable too.So,have a good think and make a decision.
Buying a scooby is like marriage.Like a fruit.If you taste it you regret it.If you don't,you will still regret it!All the best!
Old 11 July 2003, 12:58 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Angry

NO!! I wouldn't touch a Scooby with a 10ft barge pole

They are SO unreliable - engines blowing up etc.....

why post this type of message?

I'm on my 2nd one now - no problems at all!

ALL cars suffer issues with build

This type of post winds me up - Im being reserved at present! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

If you want one - do your homework. If not, fine. Go elsewhere.

The Scoob is GREAT car. De Facto.

Dan

Muppet!
Old 11 July 2003, 08:23 AM
STWEST
Scooby Newbie

If you really want one just go out there and buy it, I have been deliberating for 6 months, I finally bought one last week, a 98 wagon on an 'S' plate, its not the cheapest car to run having seen all the previous service bills but you could easily run up similar bills with an Audi or BMW etc.

I have only had mine a week but already I love it, I spent the first night I had it worrying about if I could afford to run it, then I drove it the 5 miles to work the next morning and it was all forgotten, I took the view that if I didn't buy one I would always regret it, if it doesn't work out and I have to sell it in a year so be it, at least I can say I did it!
Old 11 July 2003, 09:05 AM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Sorry for posting this type of message, but I have done my homework on loads of cars. I was just stating the obvious and wanting to know off other people. And my homework has just made me want to get a newer car with lower mileage. If I only did my homework from reading car reviews from sh*t like top gear etc on new cars I would never find out these potential (not very common) problems. I was going to buy a 200SX S14a as I think Nissans are really bullet proof, but after driving a couple I changed my mind (Pulsar is to old and ugly). I love the Impreza to drive, and maybe I would a Fiat coupe Turbo for example but I obviously would not touch it with a barge pole. This is just the type of thing I was trying to find out, which usual reviews do not mention. The theft carry on is not such a big issue to me as I live in a remote area and have a garage, plus it was just going to be a weekend car as I have a smaller car for the boring commuting carry on. Just had been led to believe these cars were about the most reliable going/reading here seems to state otherwise. I just used groups like this for opinions from owners regarding potential cars, if that is a problem so sorry!
Old 11 July 2003, 09:18 AM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

mad malc,

Ive had my impreza for just over a year and it sails through mots and touch wood have not had any problems,

Buy from a dealer with full service history and warrenty and you should be fine...
Old 11 July 2003, 09:21 AM
Spanpody.
Scooby Regular

mad malc

I had a UK scooby several years ago and was looking to stick with the brand and upgrade to a WRX/STI IV/V but like yourself I kept hearing stories of the engines and gearboxes going bang! Also At that point the warranty companies were refusing to cover the STI as it was having so many engine problems. I looked at what else was available and eventually moved to the dark side.

Have you considered EVOland at all ?

If you look hard enough 10k+ could get you a <40k Evo 4 GSR with 280 BHP on tap. Have a look at the 'for sale' section of the lancer register, there are some well kept examples that go up for sale. The engines and gearboxes are much much stronger than the Impreza and they can handle far more modifications.

Just a thought
Old 11 July 2003, 10:16 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

I just used groups like this for opinions from owners regarding potential cars, if that is a problem so sorry!
It shouldn't be a problem

This board was once a place where a potential owner was welcome and could get, relatively, impartial advice from enthusiasts.

Logically part of "doing your homework" would be to seek information from owners and where better to find some than here?

I learned of the board after I'd purchased. Fortunatley personal insight and a helping of luck ensured I had a good one.

I knew nothing of det, piston slap, clutch judder or chocolate engines until I arrived here around a year later Yes engines have gone pop, some were hammered, modded or run on 95 RON others having been cherished and pampered chose to disembowel themselves!

Though there are some who cannot accept the Impreza is not the ultimate road car or the embodiment of automotive perfection. It does like all other marques have it's share of problems but an "enthusiasts" board will tend to these highlight failures.

I know people who have experienced problems, incredibly even some from ***land!. But I know many more who have done thousands of trouble free miles, fortunately I am one of them
Old 11 July 2003, 10:19 AM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

I have thought about a Lancer mate, just the insurance I was not that keen on, but paying an extra couple of hundred quid a year is not the end of the world. I also like the looks of the Impreza more as it is not as "in your face" as the later EVO's. But I would like one as they do seem to be more highly thought of, will have to keep on saving the pennies. As I said I have done my homework on loads of cars, 200SX, GTI-R, GT4 ST205, Integra/Accord Type R and all (not so much Honda's) seem to suffer from some major faults as these cars are driven hard and you are bound to get problems, although the Impreza seems to suffer from the same problem that makes you think it has a weak point. Although I think there are a lot more Impreza's about than all the other previously mentioned cars so there are bound to be more breaking down. I also look at this website for consumer reviews of used cars http://www.carsurvey.org/ it is quite a good site not loads of reviews, but quite a few. The cars that you would expect to be a bit dodgy on here do get slated (Fiat's, Peugoet's, Citroen's, Ford's, and VW group) the Impreza does very well along with most the other Jap cars. I do agree with a lot of the previous comments that getting a low mileage UK car more so a Wagon might of had less abuse!!
Old 11 July 2003, 10:56 AM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mad malc
I have had a scooby MY99 classic shape from new, had no real major problems, MAF sensor, rear disks, and timing belt tensioner, replaced, all repaired under warranty. Car is totally standard serviced by main dealer, even ran it on normal unleaded in it's early days but changed to optimax because it ran smoother. I think you will find lots of the scare stories come from import side, or heavilly modified side, remember you will have the odd one or two major problems with any mass produced cars. Look at the Audi/vw for coil pack recall.
I have never regretted buying one, and it still puts a smile on my face every time i drive it.
Old 11 July 2003, 11:01 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hi,

ALL cars can have problems - I have an X-Type as my daily driver and you would not believe the problems I have had from this £32k car. Faults with gearbox, transfer box, propshaft, wheel bearings, believe me it's a long list.

Remember - BUYER BEWARE, just do your homework, take a professional with you and only buy the car if you're happy with everything you see. I've just bought a classic Turbo Wagon for the wife, it has 132k on the clock with a FSSH - no engine failure\big end probs and still going strong.

All the best

Matt
Old 11 July 2003, 11:12 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
I would'nt let the moaners on this site put you off.

(that'll be me too )

Condsider how many scoobs are out there (UK and Import) then ask.. How many have blown their engine. You may then get a realistic idea. A post titled "Me Engine's Blown a hole in me Bonnet" will always attract attention. I doubt that a post saying that they've had no problems with their's through average usage will attact hardly anyones attention.

If you want piece of mind - get a car with a warrantee. You can still get them even if you buy private. Just make sure it's a reputable company and read the small print.

As for insurance/crime, well. Any other car with similar performance and desirabilty has the same problems. Just the Scoob is probably the cheapest and most common of the lot, so Joe public is more like to park it in his drive. Rather than lord Monty who parks his in Fort knox- therefore has higher numbers of crime related incidents.

[Edited by ALi-B - 11/07/2003 11:14:00]
Old 11 July 2003, 11:23 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cool

£8,000 in repairs and mods in the last year

Wouldn't swap it for the world

Just do it
Old 11 July 2003, 11:34 AM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Yes I think you are talking a lot of sense here, I do not believe they are awfull cars, as if they were the re-sale value would be a lot lower. As I still think they fetch top money (UK cars in dealers, more so) if they were a really dodgy car with proven unreliability they would be a lot cheaper. If you look at fast cars more so coupes for example. The unreliable cars that even look good such as the Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo (even though it is very quick, and handles quite good) will sell for peanuts as it is a suspect car reliability wise. The 200SX S14 is very reliable and pretty quick, but it looks really dull so it makes it a used bargain, the same with the Prelude. Good looking reliable cars such as the Celica/Integra seem to fetch better money. So I guess you guys are right on the whole these cars are probably very relaible if treated with respect (buy a good one in the first place) otherwise I do not believe they would still fetch good money as I believe if they were breaking down all the time it would hit the used values of these cars big style!
Old 11 July 2003, 11:50 AM
POSHBIRD
Scooby Regular

Smile

My hubby was always on about getting a scooby and being a mid 30's mum I was not keen. After the testdrive I soon changed my mind and we have had out 02 wrx for just over a year. We have had ppp/suspension change and many other bits too. I love it to bits and its a practical size for kids too. My 2 kids love it and so their their mates at school!.

GO BUY YOURSELF A SCOOBY AND ENJOY IT!
Old 11 July 2003, 05:45 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Oops double post

[Edited by Andy Hall - 11/07/2003 18:17:00]
Old 11 July 2003, 05:46 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

No man should go to the grave without having owned a Scooby

I had two and don't regret either for q moment, had a few bits break but the engines both held together and that includes a fair few track days.

The thing about the fear of theft, it goes on every day to all sorts of people with all sorts of cars, not just Scoobys.

Scoobynet tends to give you the impression thet you have 20,000 mates and if some $hit happens to one of them its "someone I knew had his car knicked" If you put 20,000 people in a big room from a complete random cross section of the country, you could guarantee that probably a similar proportion of them would have had his car nicked, particularly if they all owned performance cars.

Get one, you won't regret it
Old 11 July 2003, 06:11 PM
oztokyo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy I think you've distilled it here for me. I am picking up my 2002 WRX ex-demonstrator next week and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Finally I can upgrade from my safe and reliable Subaru Legacy Estate, which was great for carrying people, loads and loads of mountain bikes places, but not so great at being a fun drive.
Still I read so many threads where cars were being nicked and I was sweating on that risk...until you put it all into perspective here. Of course if a large number of people spread out geographically are going to gather and gossip in one place, it will seem like a crime wave is affecting Scooby owners uniquely.
Not so true.

...and even if it was half true, I'm really glad I've gone and spent the money to get myself the car I want.

My only concern is the temptation to put the pedal to the metal and have the coppers on my case.

A buddy has a MY03 with the PPP. We went out the back of Bucks and he got it going very quick along the B roads until he got carried away out on the A road to Amersham. We went like a scared cat around this van and almost straight up the **** of a panda.
Snuck off down a side road after that and took it easy all the way home. I was sold.
The next day I'm out looking for one and you know the rest.
Old 12 July 2003, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Malc.

Its like any high performance car really. If you look after it then you are less likely to have a problem with it. The engineering on the car is outstanding like most Japanese cars and with a bit of mechanical sympathy it won't give you a problem. If you want to red line it on every gearchange and rag it before it has warmed up properly, or not change the oil and filter for thousands of miles, or try for wheelspin every time you leave the lights etc etc, then the engine won't last so long as in any car you mention. If you just use the outstanding acceleration in a more controlled way and enjoy the tremendous handling, you will get from place to place at least as fast and the car will serve you very well in a reliable manner.

Les
Old 12 July 2003, 12:49 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Very good point about about the 20,000 people Andy...
A theft will doubtless get posted on here,you won't find a post saying "another year and my scooby not nicked AGAIN !!!"
As with any high performance vehicle look after it and modify with caution/all the info. as some things that one may think will be ok may not be(ie, oil soaked after market air filter element can/will knacker maf sensor,thus sending dodgy signals to ecu ,thus damaging engine....) but you have the perfect place ,s'net, to check these things out read up on them,buy sensibly and you'll love it oh , and buy a disclok
Matty
Old 12 July 2003, 03:23 PM
The Gilly
Scooby Regular

had min about five minutes and do love it..........

Will worry about the problems when they come around:

paid out todate:

£65 new battery
£300 touch up at the bodyshop (car got some paint too)
Old 07 December 2003, 06:32 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

We have Scoobs no 4 and 5 at present. Done a combined mileage of almost 175,000 miles, (usually sell them at 50K miles) and had few probs:

Duff clock on No 1, horn on No 2, CD player on No 3, nothing on Nos 4 and 5.

No 4 (02 WRX PPP) even managed to get past the aforementioned Seat Ibiza Cupra recently... (Hi Gary! )

Don't worry about Subarus - just buy one.

Cheers

[Edited by Toonman1 - 7/12/2003 6:33:28 PM]