ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

ZX1 FRICTION ELIMINATOR

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2000, 09:22 PM
rb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody heard of zx1 friction eliminator
it seems to have a racing pedigree does not change the viscosity of oil, can be used in the fuel to protect the turbo from getting to hot.Can even be put into the water to protect from excessive heat.
Its a clear liquid is added 5% by volume and only requires a carrier:water/oil
Literature has quotes from:jos verstappen/ralf schumacher/minster engines/miko salo etc
rb
Old 15 March 2000, 09:42 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Used it in my R19 16V and had no complaints at all. None in the scoobs though. Bought mine from (whisper mode ON) QVC
Tim
Old 15 March 2000, 10:27 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yeah I bought the same stuff, Ithink, though it was golden in colur. Contained no PTFE or owt, they said. Amazing demo of it on QVC. Oh yeah, I used it in my Peugeot 306 diesel. Which I sold and bought an Impreza Sport,coz it was a "proper car" with 4WD.
Old 15 March 2000, 10:37 PM
rb
Scooby Regular

Anybody used it in a scoob
rb
Old 16 March 2000, 12:08 AM
H@work
Scooby Regular

oops see below
H

[This message has been edited by H@work (edited 16-03-2000).]
Old 16 March 2000, 12:41 AM
H@work
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by H@work:
<B>Yep, STi3@30k service, and in the girlfriends golf gti cabrio. recent oil change.

It was recommeded to me by a mate who had a 911 setup for track days.

pre zx1 :-

@ my 30k service the engine was a little rattly on cold start and the gearbox a bit notchy and a redline crunch on 3rd - 4th.

The golf was pretty tappetty on cold start but quietened down once the oil was warm/hot.

Sti was treated to Mobil 1 motorsport 15w/50
Amsoil fully synthetic 75w/90 gear oil

The Diff oil was replaced with Subaru spec stuff.

ZX1 was added to the new oils for both cars at the correct ratios.

post zx1:-

The Cabrio - is almost quiet on cold start now, occassionally it has a wee "chatter". Appears to be an improvement, may be attributable to the fresh engine oil though.

Scoobs - , mmmm , Still rattly on cold start perhaps more so, still got the notchy gearbox and 3-4 crunch @ redline, mpg still the same, BHP&Torque, Visited P+E about 3 weeks after the 30k, a week after Oulton Park Track day, I haven't had the car dynoed before so cannot give a before ZX1 and after ZX1 dyno comparison. Scoobs pushed out 293Bhp, 268lbs/ft Torque. The car still is standard except new HKS plugs and an old HKS panel filter, the car feels the same as before!

Make you own judgements out of that!

My conclusion, from speaking to several users both road and track, ZX1 certainly stems the wear of mechanical components that
are exposed to friction wear, old "worn-in" engines (say 75k+) appear to benefit from the properties of ZX1, newer/new engines would also benefit too, by protecting, and extending the longevity of components subjected to friction wear.

I bought mine from demon tweeks, fairly expensive - £19 for the 250ml, which is enough to treat your engine oil. The only question I did n't bottom was the amount of engine oil to use, ie. if the engine oil capacity is 4.5l do you put 4.25l of oil in plus the 250ml of ZX1 to make up the required level. Thinking about it, once the ZX1 gets to work on the components are we left with the 4.25l of oil, the 250ml of Zx1 being used up through the thermo bonding process?

One thing I know now thanks to IWOC was never over fill the engine oil due to the solenoid getting contaminated when the excess oil has no where to go!

cheers
Howie

[This message has been edited by H@work (edited 16-03-2000).][/quote]

[This message has been edited by H@work (edited 16-03-2000).]
Old 17 March 2000, 11:22 AM
rb
Scooby Regular

Thanks H@work

Thats detailed. But no apparent benefit to scooby.
Could this be similar to Super Roo
rb

Old 17 March 2000, 01:08 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Question: If this sort of thing really works, why don't the major engine oil companies incorporate it into their own products, which they spend shedloads on developing?
Old 17 March 2000, 01:15 PM
rb
Scooby Regular

Moray
If you e-mail an address i will send you literature it appears to be used extensively on the north sea rigs.
rb
Old 17 March 2000, 06:24 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Personally I think they are all a con.

Ran such a product in a test in the car fleet (when I ran one some 3/4 years ago).
Result: well it changed the fuel consumption on every car i it increased it ! !

Honest.

The demo videos are very impresive mind you . . . .

FWIW
Paul
Old 17 March 2000, 07:46 PM
ChrisB

Wink

Paul,

The reduced friction means you get the fuel from the tank to the engine quicker....

Chris.
Old 17 March 2000, 10:52 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Moray,
Quite true, I'd be interested to know what is actually in ZX1, it's obviuosly not PTFE based. In the field it certainly appears to lengthen component life. As to the claims of increased BHP, more mpg, etc etc - well that's a difficult one, there are many factors involved here.

I wonder if Fat Cat oil baron's own a fair chunk of many car manufacturers, if true then surely it would decrease the comapany's profits if engines lasted twice as long ;-)

A good example from a friend of mine:- one of his motorsport buddies normally required an engine rebuild halfway thru the race season, he decided to use ZX1 for the next season and the engine performed well all season without a rebuild.
cheers
Howie

[This message has been edited by Howie (edited 17-03-2000).]