Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best all rounder - STI8 or WRXPPP

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2003, 09:12 AM
lousy_gatsos
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do about 25000 miles a year. Half of which is spent on motorways (the decent part of the M6!!!!) and the other half cross country/town driving.

I'm torn between a WRX with PPP and a STi8.

The WRXPPP gives the un-PPP'ed STi a fair run for its money in the lower gears accoriding to the Prodrive web site. I would guess the WRX is a bit better from a comfort point of view? Also the money left over would allow for some cosmetic mods.

Anybody else been in a similar position/same sort of driving?

Cheers

Old 04 April 2003, 09:27 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've driven my WRX for 1200 miles now, and a PPP'd STI8 for 320 miles on a motorway. Not the best qualified to comment, but at least I've experienced both... And the PPP was on the wrong car, but what the heck!

The only thing that'll put you off is the suspension on the STI, and possibly the thirst if that is a consideration.

I've got 350 miles out of a tank twice now on motorway driving for the WRX. This is considerably better than my MY00, and a lot better than the STI - 260 miles. All the same type of driving, all on SUL. Again, you don't buy a scooby for fuel economy, but over 25k it might make a difference?

The suspension on the WRX is superb. It sits pretty flat round high speed corners, and soaks up bumps well. The STI is utterly flat, and does handle bumps quite well until occasionally something sets it off "bouncing", which I found very disconcerting. My wife really didn't like it either, so I made the right choice

The WRX is also bloody quiet, disconcertingly so! It does make a much better cruiser than the MY00 or STI, but still handles brilliantly. It is not quite as adjustable on the throttle as the STI, but still handles considerably better than the MY00 IMHO.

I have yet to try a PPP'd WRX, but given that already the car is pretty good, I'd hope for Great Things. The chassis can definitely cope with a LOT more power, and I'd guess that it'll still give great feedback. The WRX inspires confidence much more than the MY00, and the STI is again another improvement over the WRX - but you pay the price in other ways.

My money went on the WRX, so I'm biased , but if you're doing the miles then I'd lean that way. Try the STI, and in particular try it on a motorway at motorway speeds. You might love it, or you might decide that you can live with it given the increase in driver feedback/involvement - or you might think that the WRX is the better all-rounder.

Either way, both cars are fantastic
Old 04 April 2003, 09:27 AM
Sennadog 93
Scooby Regular

I can't comment on the STI 8 as I've never driven one but as 80% of my journeys are on Motorways/Dual Carriageways and the remainder on fast road blats, then I reckon you couldn't go wrong with the WRX PPP.

I've got a Bugeye Wagon, that has the equivalent of the PPP with Eibachs/geometry settings and it has heaps of torque which is ideal for this type of driving. You just plant it in 5th on the Motorway and off it goes which makes for a more relaxed journey.

I get the impression that the STI8 is a bit more "revvy" in that respect and may not be quite as good for this type of driving. Then again, I may be talking out of my posterior.
Old 04 April 2003, 09:38 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I couldn't live with a non-PPP'd STI8. I drove one for 1000 miles and it was torture. Ok I was running it in, but lack of engine flexability below 4k was a bummer. Use the same revs now it's PPP'd and you'd think it was a different car.
WRXPPP, though I haven't driven it yet, would probably win for me based on looking at the power delivery graphs.
Throw in another £2k and the STI8PPP is my car of choice...even though it costs £5.4k more I just *needed* the steering wheel/steering rack/6 speed box/big breaks/sport seats.
Chucky
Old 04 April 2003, 09:40 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

big breaks
It's only a game, so put up a real good fight...
Old 04 April 2003, 09:43 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

LOL
C
Old 04 April 2003, 09:47 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

My apologies - normal service now resumed.
Old 04 April 2003, 09:48 AM
forest172
Scooby Regular

Ok so my STI8 ain`t PPP`d, but now it`s run in I`m enjoying the car. I know it makes it quicker and better delivery below 3750revs. But once I hit that it`s easy to keep it in the higher rev range.

I know many people are saying that it`s hard to live with but come on it ain`t a bad car without the PPP. Still hitting 0-60 in 4.9/5.2 which ain`t no snail. Without a doubt it`ll get better the more it runs in. I`m going to wait till `ve done 6000miles by then it should be pretty much run in and then see. For now it`s quick enough for me, and I`m pleased I went this option instead of going for the WRX PPP. The looks alone do it for me. Apart from the exhust nobody unless an die hard scooby nut will know the difference.

Last night I had a play with and elise and the ground I pulled away on the straights was very pleasing.
Old 04 April 2003, 09:52 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

so far i agree with Chucky purely based on what you get when you get off the motorway.

i may disagree after 30k up and down the M11.... but i doubt it.

Mark.
Old 04 April 2003, 10:10 AM
Returner
Scooby Newbie

I've just "invested" in an 03 Wagon with PPP and I reckon the it would take some beating.

A lot of my time is spent on the motorway too, I do 20K miles a year lots of this on the M25/ M4 car parks. On M-ways the car is comfortable, quick and quiet. Ideal. Not bad on the juice either. Much better than the 98 Turbo I had a few years ago. I get about 300 - 320 on a tank of Optimax. I can't compare to an STi, but all I can say is when I bought the car the dealer was advising people to consider the PPP'ed WRX over the STi as quite a few people found the STi hard to live with. For my money, unless you are goind to buy the PPP for STi to ge the 300BHP then why not get the WRX? You can then stick the PPP on it and have a car that's as quick and save a few quid too - or spend on a few toys. I'm sure the STi is amazing - but as an all rounder it would have to go some to beat the WRX PPP IMHO.
Old 04 April 2003, 10:12 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

I have a wrx 03 with ppp now fitted with quickshift gearchange and prodrive ff7 18 inch wheels with 225/40 pirelli neros that has now done 1800 miles.What can i say the car is absolutley ballistic! it drives and handles so well especially on B roads and nugety minor roads and because of this i am getting 250 miles on tank of optimax but can`t stop grinning.

The quickshift gear change took about 50 miles to loosen up and gives a better feel when changing gear and is more precise when making faster gear changes. The change to 18 inch wheels means the ride is a little harsher over poor surfaces but gives fantastic feel to the steering on fast A roads and the car has now lost that skinny tyred look from some angles as the rim size has gone from 7 inch to 8 inch. Next week the side sills and front grill are being colour coded in wrc blue thought about up grading the ice but that dugga dugga sound from ppp exhaust is so good I don`t bother with the radio any more! very sad but who cares.

John
Old 04 April 2003, 10:36 AM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

I swapped my MY02 for a bog standard STI7. STI now has 8,000 on the clock and sure its a harder ride but as my g/friend says 'its harder but no less comfortable' - funny, seem to have heard that phrase from her before

Anyway, wouldn't swap back, its that bit sharper through the bends, feels more nimble. Some people don't like that but I do

Matt
Old 04 April 2003, 10:44 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

after driving my sti8+ppp my wife said she felt sick and had a headache.

another plus point
Old 04 April 2003, 12:23 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Is the WRX PPP just the intercooler pipework, backbox and Ecutek.....err, Prodrive remap ?

If so, then would a group A downpipe and decat centre in addition make up some of the ground with an STI8 PPP ?
Old 04 April 2003, 12:26 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yep, PPP is just pipework, backbox, centre and reprogram.

My personal opinion would be to leave it at that and keep your warranty. Modify anything else (downpipe, up-pipe, intake, ...) and I would think that Subaru will take a very dim view of warranty claims.

If you want more and are prepared to lose the warranty, why not consider (for example) the scoobysport remap using Ecutek and full decat. Pete has mentioned exceptional results from this approach.

Cheers,
Nick

[Edited by chiark - 4/4/2003 1:29:58 PM]
Old 04 April 2003, 12:46 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

It's not all about power, but I'm sure if thats all you care about then a full decat, fuel pump upgrade and Ecutek would get you pretty darn close to the peak numbers. THe Power Engineering package for the WRX (stage3?) costs £2200 all in including the above. I still think the driving experience would be quite different...I have two 300bhp scoobs and they are chalk and cheese.., or maybe cheese and a different cheese, they are both good though different
Chuck
Old 04 April 2003, 01:59 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

I'll give you a 01 WRX to an 02STi comparison, On smooth roads, the STi will be far better for spirited driving, but if you drive on very bumpy roads, the WRX on most occasions will stay with an STi if not be slightly more usable.

If anyone has ever driven on the Druidale rally stage in the IOM I'm sure you'll know what I mean.
Old 04 April 2003, 07:37 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Talking

>I've just "invested" in an 03 Wagon with PPP and I reckon the it would take some beating.
What with a stick