ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

RainX

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 1999, 02:56 PM
Mark Green
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I've just been out for the first time since RainX'ing the back window. Visibility seems much improved. Better view of those GTi's getting smaller in the R/V mirror.

A couple of quetions ..

How long will it last before re-applying ?

Is it worth using all round ?

Any opinions ?

Mark

YES I DO KNOW THAT IMPORTS HAVE REAR WASH WIPE Lucky lucky people
Old 11 December 1999, 03:48 PM
Raz
Scooby Regular

I've tried the front side windows but I havn't found it to give any noticable effects .
For how long the stuff effectively last
for depends on the weather . I've just reapplied RainX to my windscreen within a week . I've also found that having your window washed by the boys at the traffic lights removes the rainX barrier altogether so scare em off before they touch your windscreen .

Old 11 December 1999, 04:04 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I have had RainX on my side and rear windows for nearly a year with only one application, water still runs off properly. With the front screen, you can get a RainX that goes in the washer bottle so when you clean the screen it reapplies the treatment.
Old 11 December 1999, 04:18 PM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

Be warned though - on the front screen you do need to keep it very clean as well as the wiper blades. RainX can have the effect of when the wipers are put on of just smearing a very very thin film of water and grease onto the screen making it far far worse than it was before the RainX was applied.
Old 11 December 1999, 10:36 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

A previous owner has put Rain X on my windscreen and now in light rain my screen is very smeared.

Previous posts have warned against putting Rain X on the windscreen because of this. It has been suggested that it can be removed with rubbing compound. Won't this scratch the windscreen?

I suppose if the worst came to the worst I could always get a new screen for £50 by putting a hammer through it and claiming for it

Would a new application of Rain X improve matters?
Old 12 December 1999, 12:10 AM
Kevshann
Scooby Regular

There is an industrial detergent called 'Micro' that will remove anything and isn't supposed to harm paintwork either. I've found it makes for the ultimate screenwash. Just a tiny amount in your screenwash bottle goes a long way and any oily film is instantly removed from windscreen. My current bottle is 8 years old!I washed my car in it recently and it certainly removed all trace of Rain X off my back window. As far as I know it's only available from the importers- phone 081 467 8944.
Old 12 December 1999, 09:31 AM
Mark Green
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Halfords etc. do a windscreen cutting compound/cleaner that will remove RainX etc.

Mark
Old 12 December 1999, 03:42 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Mark and Kevshann.

Thanks for the replies. The Rain X is coming off the windscreen but I am tempted to treat the side and rear windows.
Old 12 December 1999, 04:29 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've been using Rain-X on all windows for six months now, and have no smearing problems at all. I do have the Rain-X additive in my washer bottle though.
I've re-applied it all over twice in six months.

Stef.
Old 12 December 1999, 11:42 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Emmmm.

Connected thought. Rubbing compound! I wonder if that would remove a slight scratch that I managed to put on the inside of my drivers side window (with a ring, me thinks, while using a duster to remove condensation).

Thoughts anyone?
Old 13 December 1999, 08:14 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Autoglym screen polish is excellent, and I dont think it leaves much residue

robski
Old 13 December 1999, 09:06 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have used Rain X, both the treatment and wash and have found that smearing can occur evry now and again. However, it was invaluable last night battling the rain on the A1 !!
Old 13 December 1999, 12:13 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Joking aside, cut a potato in two. Use the halves to wipe over the windows, inside and out. This prevents the windows steaming up and causes water to bead.

An old trick my dad taught me that seems to work. Try not to laugh, (toothpaste also great for cleaning windows).
Old 13 December 1999, 12:58 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

and scrunched up newspaper is great for polishing windows.
Old 13 December 1999, 01:45 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

There is another lesser-known product call Rain Racer that might be worth trying. I have actually bought a pack of this stuff, but haven't got 'round to applying it yet. I can post more details when I do, but it came by recommendation from a friend who said it's much better than RainX, and is now used by BMW UK amongst others. Their stand at the motor show had literature that focused on marine applications (where longevity is crucial - you don't want to have to do all those portholes too often!), as well as domestic and car use.

I will post again here when I've actually applied it and let y'all know how it is. I currently have a very smeary front screen, courtsey of treating with RainX a while back, BTW. The Rain Racer pack contains bottle of cleaner that gets any existing treatment off, allegedly.

-= mike =-

PS. Having tryed the RainX washer bottle compound, it's OK but you really do need to re-do the glass treatment at least every 6-8 weeks or it's smear-city.
Old 13 December 1999, 01:58 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I found RainX Ok - though at night I found visibility hampered with oncoming headlights - it kinda appeared smeared - at day it was OK.

Ro
Old 13 December 1999, 02:21 PM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

Just as an after thought it is worth remembering where this product originally came from and its original purpose in life. It was designed for use primarily on fast jets and other aircraft for when travelling at high speed on runways etc, ie over 60mph where the use if they are fitted of windscreen wipers becomes immaterial. We were always told to use wipers sparingly where this had been added to a windscreen.
Old 13 December 1999, 03:30 PM
Rapture@Work
Scooby Newbie

the newspaper cleaning trick works for me too....is much better than the clever stuff i have purchased in the past. (probly: every bloody brand)

as for scratches I use brasso and some cardboard to take out a scratch in glass - be careful though - it is of course an abrasive.

and I only ever use Rain-X on non-contact glass. So thats my car out the question - the wifes car quarter/back window/s loves it.
Old 13 December 1999, 05:54 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

Mike - will be interested in the results when you've tried it.

btw - doesnt your car end up smelling like a potato?
Old 13 December 1999, 06:58 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Mike

Where can you buy Rain Racer?

Mark

Went into Halfords today to buy some of their windscreen cutting compound. None on the shelf. Stupidly asked an "assistant" who looked on the computer and then asked his mate where it was. "Out the back" Except there wasn't any and guess who they blamed, Yes the computer! "we might get some in Friday". I wish the smaller motor factors around here were easy to get to and park.
Old 25 February 2000, 03:01 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Rain Racer update:

I did a thorough application of this stuff to all the glass just over a couple of months ago. It was absolutely stunning for the first 3-4 weeks, but after that it was back to wipers during light rain unless doing 50+mph. About 2 weeks after that, and it was wipers all the time, even at high-ish speeds.

However, the smearing isn't anywhere near as bad as it was with Rain-X, and it clears almost instantly. IMO it is no worse then driving with completely untreated glass. This is in contrast to Rain-X, which made me slightly regret applying it once it had gone to seed.

Maybe difference is that I took more care over the application, or because Rain Racer comes with its own cleaner, but whatever, I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I'm sorry, I still don't have a number handy for the company that sells it, but if you really want to know, nag me by private e-mail and I'll try to remember to look at the package.

-= mike =-
Old 26 February 2000, 10:42 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I've just applied RainX to the Scooby recently and it's fantastic!
It looks great too with beads of water all over the windows

Mick
Old 26 February 2000, 11:05 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

I think it's crap. All I get is a whiteout everytime the wipers wipe. Will it stop break dust gathering on the alloys though ?
Or maybe an application on the toilet bowl will stop things sticking ?
Old 26 February 2000, 11:12 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Gazzer
Are you really, really, that 'Footy Morron' ?
Anyway what you have to do is, when there is very little water (you can see it beading!!!) - Don't use the wipers !
You can see perfectly well with small beads of clear water sat on the screen. Just start driving, they will amuse you by drifing quietly and gracefully up the windscreen and onto the roof.

Have fun! - And give up your day job

Mick
Old 28 February 2000, 12:16 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Rain Racer:
PO Box 73
Waterlooville
Hants PO7 8SY
Tel. 01705-790036
Old 28 February 2000, 12:30 AM
jamieo
Scooby Newbie

I've used RainX for years and it's been excellent. I use it on all outside windows and mirrors - in light rain I hardly bother with the wipers and in heavy rain it gives far better visibility.

Teh trick is to make sure your windows are REALLY clean when you apply it, and apply lots of it - I use a bottle for 3 or 4 full applications of the car. When I apply it, I apply it twice before rubbing it off - and don't let it dry otherwise it's a pain in the **** to get off. Also make sure you keep your wiper blades clean for a better wipe. Also clean your windows (Mr Muscle) weekly. It seems to be the dirt that causes smearing.

An application of RainX lasts me about 2 months of daily driving.

The RainX that goes in the washer bottle is crap. It does result in very smeared windows. The MistX is OK, but again you have to get things really clean first. It also seems to dry quicker and is a nightmare to rub off when it's dry.
Old 28 February 2000, 09:29 PM
JOHN BRODERICK
Scooby Regular

carefull

winter wash addatives and rain-x have alcahol
which can affect rubber seals.