Sponsored by:

The good, the bad and the cat1

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2002, 03:23 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well, it's been an interesting scooby day for me.

I went out with the intention of fitting my shiny 'newish' Jap Innovations Backbox (cheers again Rich). When i went to move the car into a more suitable spot to work on it i noticed that some little f*****s have tried to break into it. They're managed to break the drivers door lock and push it right inside the door. The plastic trim round the handle is completely smashed up and the door panel has a dent round the handle.

I only bought the car a few months ago and already someone has tried to steal it. I've been driving 'desirable' cars for nearly 10 years and this is the first time someone has actually tried to steal one. I'm starting to understand why insurance companies don't like scoobs. Luckily i had a Cat 1 fitted a few weeks ago so i'm assuming it played a part in the theiving little b******s not getting into the car. Only thing that concerns me is that i didn't hear it. Our bedroom is right above the car and every room in the house has a window facing the car. Not only that but since the sprog turned up there's been someone awake in the house almost 24/7.

On the good side though, I got the backbox fitted without a single skint knuckle and the car sound 1000 times better. Now all I need is the decat centre and downpipe to go with it

Almost forgot, Even if the wannabe car thieves had got into the car, removed the steering lock and gear stick lock then got it started they wouldn't have got far. I've got the power steering unit and the radiator header tank in my spare room pending replacements.

[Edited by marty_t3 - 12/8/2002 3:26:47 PM]
Old 08 December 2002, 03:37 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Howz about a pager Alarm System?
Old 08 December 2002, 03:41 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I can't imagine the pager being any louder than the alarm going of right outside the house. The car is parked about 5 feet (the width of the pavement) in front of my living room window. Thats why i'm a bit bothered about not hearing it.
Old 08 December 2002, 03:42 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

They must have been determined if you had a steering and gear lock! Are you sure they didn't want something in the car, like valuables or the stereo?
Old 08 December 2002, 03:43 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

The pager would be inside the house with you
Old 08 December 2002, 04:01 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

SB, I was thinking that too but there wasn't anything visible and it's a face off stereo.

It must have been kind of obvious that they weren't gonna be able to drive away in the car. There's 'CAT 1 security' stickers in the windows (doesn't say exactly what alarm is fitted for obvious reasons), the steering lock (with flashy light) and the bright yellow gear stick lock.
Old 08 December 2002, 05:34 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Anyone know any good way of 'immobilizing' the car from under the bonnet. Preferably something that wont involve me getting covered in muck. I remember seeing a thread about something similar, something about unhooking a plastic connector that wont allow the car to start?

Also, the car's getting delocked. If i get stuck outside it i can always climb in the boot

Other than that i'm wedging the car in using the girlfriends pug to make it even more obvious that they aren't going to be driving away in my car.
Old 08 December 2002, 05:35 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Fuel pump fuse. Swap with a blown one.
Old 08 December 2002, 05:38 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Find out which sh*thead tried to steal the car and get a bunch of scoobynetters to "preemptively" strike them and their homes. This tactic is perfectly legal, even in the eyes of the united nation.
Old 08 December 2002, 05:48 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Brun, Where abouts it the fuse? It's an JDM import and the fusebox labels are written in elvish by the looks of it.

Katana, I like your idea too though
Old 08 December 2002, 05:54 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I haven't a clue to be honest. It's just somthing i used to do with my old Pug GTi. Was just an idea
Old 08 December 2002, 07:20 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Are you sure the alarm actually went off If they never actually got a door open or unlocked it then i suspect that it wouldn't have done.

My alarm chirps differently when i unlock it if it has been set off but i guess that not all of them will...

Old 08 December 2002, 07:39 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Ricco, right enough. My alarm should have chipped differently when i opened the car but i can't say i noticed. Guess it didn't go off. I set it off earlier to see how loud it was while inside the house and i'm sure i'd have heard it. The alarm will go off if the car is rocked or bumped (after giving a warning chirp) cuz i managed to set it off while removing the exhaust today.
Old 08 December 2002, 09:36 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah, mine chirps too if someone parks too close and then gets out next to it... It really freaks some people out

My alarm leaves the engine running too when i leave it, you wouldn't beleive the amount of people who tell me i've left it running (I have a full Blitz decat, so i think i would notice)