Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More doom and gloom (don't read if that ain't your bag...)

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2001, 08:55 PM
Oz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

TOKYO (Reuters) - The United States has warned its allies of a possible second round of attacks by the end of this week following the deadly strikes on New York and Washington, Jiji news agency quoted Japanese government sources as saying.

The next round of attacks could be on a greater scale than the assaults by hijacked aircraft on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, according to information provided to Japan by Washington, Jiji reported.

The news agency quoted the sources as saying on Saturday that the "means of terrorism" would be "more cruel and shocking" than the September 11 carnage, which left more than 6,800 either dead or missing.
Old 23 September 2001, 09:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this is true, and I dont want to believe it, then we are all up **** creek with a broken paddle

Pete
Old 23 September 2001, 10:20 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
you sound surprised??

Wake up and smell the roses people, we are in for some **** years ahead.

sorry to tell you the truth.
Old 23 September 2001, 11:07 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by johnfelstead:
<B>you sound surprised??

sorry to tell you the truth. [/quote]

Am i the only one getting really peeved by this sudden cut down on terrorism. Did it really take such an atrocity to get some reaction. We in NI have watched terrorists running rings around governments for much longer than my short 26 years on this planet.
Is it really a numbers game ie little acts, who cares, major acts and the world rallies around a nation which has contributed to such hatred being expressed towards it. I have utmost sympathy to those directly affected but am disgusted that our own government can rally to the States defence yet seems more than happy to pander to those (on either side) who have dished out many atrocities on my own community.
Old 23 September 2001, 11:10 PM
Luke
BANNED

Bug eyed Wonder

Too true mate
Old 23 September 2001, 11:25 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Bug eyed Wonder

You are certainly not alone. But I'm not getting prepard to debate this here.
Old 24 September 2001, 12:45 AM
Oz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by matt d:
<B>As for predictions of doom and gloom, I think they're overdone. Yes there may well be more attacks, but the increased risk we're facing is nothing compared to what half the world's population have had to put up with for most of their lives, or what the UK was facing in 1940.[/quote]

I'm not so sure they are overdone.

The US seized cropdusting manuals in raids on apartments the hijackers had used and have since grounded all cropdusting flights near urban areas. It is well known that certain middle-eastern states have been experimenting with biological warfare during the course of the last two decades and one of the main threats is Anthrax.

Spread as a dry powder from a cropduster or similar open-air attack over a city, 50kg of Anthrax would result in 500,000 people being exposed. Of these 250,000 would get sick and 100,000 would die - even if treated.

And this isn't me just spouting bull figures, these are the figures arrived at by the World Health Organisation in their report on Bio & Chemical Weapons. Over London these figures would be doubled due to the increased population density over that i the report - in Manhatten it would likely triple.

The potential for this type of strike by a terrorist group is well within the realms of possibility - and would be relatively cheap and scientifically simple.
Old 24 September 2001, 01:05 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I'd really like to see the figures of how many have died over the years in Ireland while people stood by compared to the number of dead in NY. Why only now does the war begin?
Old 24 September 2001, 01:25 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Dont worry guys. Nothing is going to change in NI as the IRA etc. dont have "Global reach".

Did you lot miss that nuggett in Bush's speach? I certainly didnt!
Old 24 September 2001, 06:57 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Having taken on board the horror of events in the USA, I do feel some-one should remind the Americans of an organisation called Noraid when they talk about rooting out terrorism, should perhaps mention the effects of a bombing campaign in Cambodia and should in more recent times look at the statistics of a small country in Africa called Rwanda.

Perhaps we could keep a perspective on modern day injustices?

Or is horror and revenge predicated by the number of cameras that CNN can bring to bear?

(and with the subject line 'don't read it if it ain't your bag', I felt I could express my views here.....)
Old 24 September 2001, 07:14 AM
USAchap
Scooby Regular

I'll tell you guys one thing. NO one is ever going to hijack a plane and successfully complete their mission. I'll be damned if any one american will just sit back and watch their aiplane smack into another building.

As long as our gas prices stay the same we americans will forget about what happened. I hope that we look at this month and just learn from our mistakes. Not to bomb the bloody hell out of a bunch idiots. What? we want to turn like them??

War is an ugly thing, I would much rather not have it. It should be a complete last resort.

Instead, this bombing has brought together every soul on this country. Every where you look you see the american flag. Houses, cars (including my impreza), shopping places. This act of terrorism (sorry to say) has strengthened this countries patriotism and apreciation of our ideals. It almost seems like I can walk out in the middle of the night for the first time and not fear of getting shot.

Well, all I wanted to say really was that we americans generaly feel we should retaliate. I feel otherwise.
Old 24 September 2001, 10:36 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

The point is not "retaliation" surely but effective, targeted action to reduce the threat posed by O B-L and his friends. That is justified and indeed desirable.

What is not jusified nor desirable is heavy handed indiscriminate and ultimately inneffective retaliation, against the poor populace of Afghanistan. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

BTW, gas mask and bio hazard suit sales have gone thru the roof in London!

[This message has been edited by zoog (edited 24 September 2001).]

[This message has been edited by zoog (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 24 September 2001, 10:43 AM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

I'm with Zoog on this, I think that they should take out the leaders 'covertly', this build up of force just worries the cr4p out of anyone who happens to be near it.

It may make the public happy, but it also puts the perpetrators on their guard, if we said we were turning the other cheek, but then went in quietly, wouldn't the result be better?

All the activity going on just makes everyone jittery and worried about what's next.

Darren.
Old 24 September 2001, 10:50 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

USAchap,

It is nice that you can feel such patriotism, lack of fear of being shot, but how do you feel when you see reports that the mall beneath the world trade centre was looted whilst everyone was trying to evacuate just prior to its collapase?

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 24 September 2001, 11:20 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Philc remember that the vast majority of Americans have had nothing to do with funding the IRA, bombing Cambodia, or genocide in Africa.

As for predictions of doom and gloom, I think they're overdone. Yes there may well be more attacks, but the increased risk we're facing is nothing compared to what half the world's population have had to put up with for most of their lives, or what the UK was facing in 1940. So let's get things in perspective before speculating on WWIII or whatever.
Old 24 September 2001, 11:42 AM
Lovejoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by johnfelstead:
<B>you sound surprised??

sorry to tell you the truth. [/quote]

It just comes to the US mentality that terrorism was just "their problem", and that Europe, the UK , and the Atlantic was our buffer zone. People are now running scared cause that "false since of security" blanket has been yanked. I am sure that there is more to come. NY and DC was just a recruitment poster.

Lovejoy
Old 24 September 2001, 12:53 PM
bobfrog1
Scooby Regular

I also don't want to get involved in a debate but I'm so peeved, I must comment that the US have many little fingers in many little pies.....

The US funded a certain Mr. Bin Laden when Russia were last in Afganistan

The CIA like a little "freedom fight" in certain middle-eastern countries

The US fund some IRA activities

If the US were so intent on stopping terrorism, they should stop funding it.

I hope I don't offend anyone as I'll never forget the attrocity inflicted upon the US but I belive ALL the facts should be shared irrespective of how politicaly correct/incorrect they are.

[This message has been edited by bobfrog1 (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 24 September 2001, 05:40 PM
USAchap
Scooby Regular

<DELETED>

Last edited by USAchap; 29 April 2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 24 September 2001, 07:08 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AndiThompson:
<B>I'd really like to see the figures of how many have died over the years in Ireland while people stood by compared to the number of dead in NY. Why only now does the war begin?[/quote]

IIRC there has been in excess of 3000 people killed the the "troubles" over here

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy W (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 25 September 2001, 07:19 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Mattd - my comment about the IRA, Cambodia and Rwanda was not all directed at the USA.

It's two points really - 1. I don't think the USA can claim the moral high ground on this one - after all the U.S. financed the Taliban against the Russians (supply of Stinger missiles being the turning point of the Afghan War) and 2., altho' not belittling the casualties in Washington and the WTC, where were the Western countries (mine included) when Pol Pot dealt to over 2 million of his fellow countrymen and the Hutus dealt to 800,000 Tutsis six years ago?

Can't quite figure it.