Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bizare

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2001, 11:11 AM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming back from Blackpool last night on the M62, came up behind a car *stuck* in the middle lane. I pulled out behind him, sat there, and eventually he (it was a he) pulled over... I went passed.
The silly git pulled straight back out into the middle lane once I'd gone passed, while I returned to the inside.

Whats that about? Other cars just pulled into the 3rd lane to overtake him that were some distance behind me.

--
Mike
Old 17 September 2001, 11:14 AM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

drunk, or er.., you met the roadowner
Old 17 September 2001, 11:15 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Wink

He is a tw@t?

One of those people who think lane 1 is the "slow lane" only to be used by lorries.

These people should be conveyed around the country on special busses for "special" people.
Old 17 September 2001, 11:21 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

I had to do something very similar once coming back from Manchester as my left side lights were beeming very lowly and relied on the middle lane so I could see all clear markings.

Old 17 September 2001, 01:39 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Makes you wonder why we bother with having 3 lanes, dunnit?

I had a scare with one of those the other day. There I was cruising at 85 - 90, Fiesta in the middle lane as I wen tpast a junction. Went all the way out, then all the way back in. Sometimes they then move over, so I was watching in my mirror to see if he did. At which point I spotted Mr Plod (unmarked) put his lights on a accelerate after me; brown trouser time! But no, I got the sensible one who pulled up behind the Fiesta, who continued to sit in the middle lane. After a minute or so Mr Fiesta relented and pulled over to get his ticket.

Hurrah for Mr Plod!
Old 17 September 2001, 11:15 PM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Sitting in the middle is a good idea at night if travelling quickly as it gives you two directions to swerve if summit runs out. you can still move over when someone faster approaches.
Old 18 September 2001, 12:47 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mike,

the police have a name for 'em: CLOC'ers, or Centre Lane Owners Club members.
Old 18 September 2001, 12:56 AM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong, if the motorway is quiet, i.e nobody coming past, then I sometimes sit in the middle lane. Likewise, I may use the outside lane of a duel cabbage way, if I can see further by doing so. But it does really depend on the traffic conditions.
I recently passed my advanced on the motorbike, and was asked "why did you stay in the outside lane of the duel carridge way between x and y". My reply was, "well nobody was coming up behind, and I could see further ahead by doing so". (was the correct response I beleive).

Having not done advanced in the car, would this kind of road position etc. be the same? I do tend to apply the same theory to my car driving as my bike. Just wondered if I was doing the correct thing.

--
Mike
Old 18 September 2001, 07:33 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I had a similar experience coming back from my head office last night.

I was travelling along the A14 about 6.30 pm in the Probe, when I came across some slow moving traffic. Noticing that there was no one in the inside lane, I pulled in and undertook about 10 cars. The culprit was a woman in a Saab, who obviously thought she owned the outside lane. She didn't even get the hint when loads of other people follwed me and undertook her. She only pulled into the inside lane when a car went right up her backside and flashed her. She pulled over, but as soon as it had passed her, she pulled out again!!!

I don't want to start a row about women drivers (please?), but what are these people thinking? She was causing the traffic to slow down and other drivers to take risks.

To anyone out there, please do not hog the outside/middle lanes. It could cause an accident!!!
Old 18 September 2001, 11:28 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I get alot of that especially as i drive alot at night.
Had a few yesterday on the way back from work at around 10pm, came up with this car hogging the middle lane with no vehicles in sight, give them a flash of the lights and indicate to the middle lane, as its a white van they think its a police car as they can only make out its a vauxhall so they move but it gets em out of the way

Tony
Old 18 September 2001, 01:07 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Smile

When it is quiet and the road is clear I always use the centre lane of the motorway. I live near to, and frequently use, the M25 and the inside lane is "rutted" in places where the heavy lorries ply their trade. It also allows me options if an emergency manouvere is required for some reason I move to the near side lane whenever I see lights in my mirrors and then back out again when clear.

Just seems a safe and easy way of driving when road conditions allow

Yex