Sponsored by:

Just had an accident :(

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2006, 08:28 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just had an accident :(

Come back from taking Mother to the Honda dealer - they are looking for a new car after a biker ran into their car Sunday night.

Half way through a overtaking move and a bike runs into me. Stopped and ran back to check on lad - who I'd seen tumbling thorugh the air - relieved to seem him up and okay - though he didn't seem not that gratefull to be alive

Biker had plenty of cuts and brusies and ripped jeans + top - they took him to hospital as a precaution - after he'd had a ***

Damage to scooby - dented and paint srcatched drivers door, smashed wing mirror, scratch on front wing and scuff on A piller. Oh and a fair bit of damage to the front alloy bizarely.

But I can;t get through to a-Plan (closed) and actual insurer. Will it be okay to report in the morning when A-plan open? Police were in attendance and have a full statement from me - and a witness who stopped.

Impressed the scooby withstood impact without major damage. Glad biker is ok. Gutted about AScooby damage - but It could have been a LOT worse.

Oh, and 2 scoobies drove past while I was waiting for Police etc!
Old 22 March 2006, 09:08 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

yeah they should be ok with you contacting them in the morning as my accident happened at half 8 at night so it had to wait till morning but i did have a fractured knee and three ribs too
so you shouldnt have anything to worry about
glad your ok
Old 22 March 2006, 09:11 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have crashed mine today as well mate so know exactly how you feel
Old 22 March 2006, 09:15 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

What were the circumstances?
Old 22 March 2006, 09:18 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Circumstances were as above.

I was overtaking - this lad tried overtaking everything.

Thanks all.
Old 22 March 2006, 09:19 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
I have crashed mine today as well mate so know exactly how you feel
Hope you and yours are okay too. Not a good feeling is it!
Old 22 March 2006, 09:22 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

As long as you report it within 24 hours you will be fine.

Glad everyones OK
Old 22 March 2006, 09:40 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
Circumstances were as above.

I was overtaking - this lad tried overtaking everything.

Thanks all.

Do you mean that you pulled out without seeing that he had already begun to overtake? Or some other scenario?
Old 22 March 2006, 09:50 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Hope you and yours are okay too. Not a good feeling is it!
were all fine thankyou

I was just entering a NSL area of a junction so was travelling around 30 ish a guy just pulled out of a side road and didnt even glance over, if Id have not swerved he would probably be dead now because of the angle he was coming at. so swerved and hit a van nose on.

the ****** tried to leave so I stopped him and rang the police, he said what's it got to do with me??? that upset me!

james
Old 23 March 2006, 07:25 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Do you mean that you pulled out without seeing that he had already begun to overtake? Or some other scenario?
There's always one

No, I meant I was overtaking and he tried the evil kineval of all overtaking manouvres.

Do you have trouble reading?
Old 23 March 2006, 07:33 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

There's always one

No, I meant I was overtaking and he tried the evil kineval of all overtaking manouvres.

Do you have trouble reading?

Your post was fairly ambiguous.

Bikers tend not to drive into big hard lumps of metal as they pass them if they can help it.
As you originally described it, it sounded like you (inadvertently ?) squeezed him.
Old 23 March 2006, 07:50 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DocJock
Your post was fairly ambiguous.

Bikers tend not to drive into big hard lumps of metal as they pass them if they can help it.
As you originally described it, it sounded like you (inadvertently ?) squeezed him.
I was trying not to be too specific...police still 'investigating'. Police all indicated it was his fault - as I was half waypast the van I was overtaking when biker tried to squuze through
Old 23 March 2006, 08:01 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was trying not to be too specific...police still 'investigating'. Police all indicated it was his fault - as I was half waypast the van I was overtaking when biker tried to squuze through
Like I said dude, it just wasn't clear.

Glad everyone is OK.
Old 23 March 2006, 08:15 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm Interesting..

I think this one will probably end up being against you, Unless there are other witnesses to say the biker deliberately tried to overtake YOU while YOU were overtaking..

And I very much doubt he did, and at least if he was whats the chances of him hitting your FRONT DRIVERS side door. You would have had to pull out ON HIM to be at the correct angle of impact.

Mirrors next time maybe and check the blind spot
Old 23 March 2006, 08:24 AM
N*UFO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Hmm Interesting..

I think this one will probably end up being against you, Unless there are other witnesses to say the biker deliberately tried to overtake YOU while YOU were overtaking..

And I very much doubt he did, and at least if he was whats the chances of him hitting your FRONT DRIVERS side door. You would have had to pull out ON HIM to be at the correct angle of impact.

Here in suffolk bikers can do no wrong it seems, it would seem the police have given them right of way to anyone at any time,If one rams you up the **** it's your fault!, so don't be surprised if it turns out to be your fault

And imho 99% of bikers are some of the most dangerous road users out there, even worse than HGV's (only because HGV's cant scream along country roads at 160 mph).And yes i was a biker once
Should start a bit of a debate..........
Old 23 March 2006, 09:02 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Hmm Interesting..

Got a witness who says just that.

I won't be arrogant enough to say I'm a perfect driver - but I do check mirrors, blind spot VERY carefully - my gF and her dad both ride bikes - so I worry a lot about it after their stories.

After speaking to witness, Police officer - a biker her self said he's tried to 'do one up the out side'
Old 23 March 2006, 09:33 AM
yodajedimaster
Scooby Regular

Got a witness who says just that.

I won't be arrogant enough to say I'm a perfect driver - but I do check mirrors, blind spot VERY carefully - my gF and her dad both ride bikes - so I worry a lot about it after their stories.

After speaking to witness, Police officer - a biker her self said he's tried to 'do one up the out side'
Still doesn't make sense for you to hit the biker with your drivers door, you must have been moving right! Unless of course the bike drove into you from the other side of the road?

Basically from your description of the damage to your car and impact point, you have to have pulled out on the guy whilst he was overtaking you, sounds like you're in the wrong, I could be wrong but see what the insurance companies say. It would be pretty hard for the biker to hit you where he did unless you made a sudden move to the right, or he suddenly moved to the left?

Robert.
Old 23 March 2006, 10:06 AM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DocJock
You've clearly never driven around North Yorkshire very much!!!!

I've had bikers coming in the opposite direction overtaking vehicles whilst doing a wheelie. I've driven round fast sweeping corners with a bike in the opposite direction canted over so that he was well into my lane - his head missing my A-pillar by inches (and I mean inches!!!!)

Where I live there are also a lot of 90 deg. bends requiring hard braking and speed in bends. Most bikers believe they are the fastest thing on the road (inc. corners) whereas my car can brake later and carry more speed thro' the corner. Yet I am constantly overtaken as I start my (early) braking for the bend only then to have the bike stamp on the anchors just in front of my bumper.

Worst of all is when you get a gaggle of bikers all trying to hang onto each others rear bumpers. When one overtakes the others all try to follow and invariably the guy at the back tries even when cars coming the other way or right on top of him/her.

Let's not assume the scoob driver was in the wrong!!!
Old 23 March 2006, 11:59 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Bikes are quick and nimble, I'm a biker myself, it is much easier to overtake as you have superior rolling acceleration and you can squeeze in far easier than a car can..

*BUT* obviously this does not condone riding like a C*NT.. You will find the majority of ***** on bikes are either Sunday riders or little CBT wielding ******* on chicken chaser 50cc and 125cc's.. The same way most of the ***** in cars are old duffers or little **** in their souped up cars who think they are Michael Shumaker.
Old 23 March 2006, 12:04 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
were all fine thankyou

I was just entering a NSL area of a junction so was travelling around 30 ish a guy just pulled out of a side road and didnt even glance over, if Id have not swerved he would probably be dead now because of the angle he was coming at. so swerved and hit a van nose on.

the ****** tried to leave so I stopped him and rang the police, he said what's it got to do with me??? that upset me!

james
Fookin hell Jamo, absolutely gutted for you mate! And what a tw@t that driver was, I can understand you being a bit heated up by his reaction!!!

Still, glad to hear everyone's ok matey, thats the main thing Hope it all gets sorted ok
Old 23 March 2006, 12:24 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

as he hit your door, fornt ing and front alloy i cannot picture anything other than you pulled out into him.
Old 23 March 2006, 12:45 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

Mmmn, have the local bikers got it in for your family or what!!??

One hits your mums car one week and another hits your car the next

If you have witnesses saying that he tried to overtake you whilst you were overtaking then imo ( as an insurance claims adjuster ) the biker will be held liable.
However if he has witnesses that will state that you went into him as he over took you then it will most likely be settled on a 50/50 basis.

Difficult one to call without all the facts tho.
Old 23 March 2006, 03:01 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Bikes are quick and nimble, I'm a biker myself, it is much easier to overtake as you have superior rolling acceleration and you can squeeze in far easier than a car can..

*BUT* obviously this does not condone riding like a C*NT.. You will find the majority of ***** on bikes are either Sunday riders or little CBT wielding ******* on chicken chaser 50cc and 125cc's.. The same way most of the ***** in cars are old duffers or little **** in their souped up cars who think they are Michael Shumaker.
Totally agree!!!!!
Old 23 March 2006, 03:11 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by N*UFO
Here in suffolk bikers can do no wrong it seems, it would seem the police have given them right of way to anyone at any time,If one rams you up the **** it's your fault!, so don't be surprised if it turns out to be your fault

And imho 99% of bikers are some of the most dangerous road users out there, even worse than HGV's (only because HGV's cant scream along country roads at 160 mph).And yes i was a biker once
Should start a bit of a debate..........
No debate - without wishing to be sterotypical, bikers are sterotypically chuffin idiots who think their gay leather costumes save them from everything except kryptonite and straight pubs with girls in...
Old 23 March 2006, 03:47 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Old 23 March 2006, 04:44 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
No debate - without wishing to be sterotypical, bikers are sterotypically chuffin idiots who think their gay leather costumes save them from everything except kryptonite and straight pubs with girls in...
Old 23 March 2006, 05:26 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Why o Why is it never the bikers fault?
Jowl has clearly described what happened yet there's still some know all who wasn't there saying it must have been his fault.
I think I know who I believe.
Old 23 March 2006, 06:42 PM
chrisola
Scooby Regular

SO what you belive is:

The car was overtaking, and the bike drove up behind the car at a high speed then swerved into the front side of it? (a 'squeeze' where the biker runs out of room wouldnt damage an alloy wheel?? maybe scratch the panels\wheel..)hmmm

Bikers are prone to getting hit when filtering\overtaking by drivers who dont check their blind spot...

Not wanting to flame the guy, accidents happen and are bad news for both parties... but from the damage report it sounds like a 'car gos to overtake while having something in the drivers blind spot that crashes hard into the front side'
Old 23 March 2006, 07:00 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Hows about this scenario, car overtakes car on gentle right hander.
Biker comes past both at +30mph runs out of room and tags front of car.

You weren't there, nor was I. Jowl was and I believe what he's said.
Old 23 March 2006, 07:20 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Oh how naive you are, posting about your accident on here. Regardless of fault it WILL be decided as your fault in scoobynet court.

Quick Reply: Just had an accident :(