ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Poor bugger in an Exige on M40 this morning

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2001, 10:15 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

This morning around 8am the traffic slowed around Stokenchurch Hill towards London, I noticed 20 mins later that a Range Rover and a Y Reg Light Blue Exige were on the hard shoulder.

Poor blokes Exige had been shunted from behind and completely crumpled the rear end! such a nice car too. Looks as though the person in the Range Rover didn't even see the Exige as it certainly wasn't a slow speed impact (exige small low down car / Range Rover high tall Jeep)

No-one seemed to be hurt which was good.

Old 06 September 2001, 10:22 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

ouch!
the exiges brakes are good... wonder if that was an influence.

lovely car... i agree
Old 06 September 2001, 10:33 AM
HamsterWheel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

As an Elise driver, I can confirm that it's sometimes bloody frightening being too closely followed by a big nasty car on the motorway. As I could outbrake most of them in an emergency, the thought of 2 tons of pig-iron rear-ending me is a bit off-putting.
Had a cretin in a white Merc van following me at about 10 feet in rain on Sunday night on the M40 and had to keep slowing down and then putting some distance between us. Fianlly got rid of him on the Stokenchurch hill (Bledlow Ridge) by dropping to 50 and then speeding up to a little bit more up the hill :-)
Old 06 September 2001, 10:34 AM
HamsterWheel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

As an Elise driver, I can confirm that it's sometimes bloody frightening being too closely followed by a big nasty car on the motorway. As I could outbrake most of them in an emergency, the thought of 2 tons of pig-iron rear-ending me is a bit off-putting.
Had a cretin in a white Merc van following me at about 10 feet in rain on Sunday night on the M40 and had to keep slowing down and then putting some distance between us. Fianlly got rid of him on the Stokenchurch hill (Bledlow Ridge) by dropping to 50 and then speeding up to a little bit more up the hill :-)
Old 06 September 2001, 11:10 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

and (from experiance) a little tap can damage the ali chassis leading to a write-off

not a great car to crash in...
Old 06 September 2001, 11:38 AM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Know this part of the M40 very well, the problems mostly come from people pulling out into the fast moving traffic and not having the power or just not bothering to accelerate to the speed of the traffic. You also get the people who just don't know how to drive up hills. This then causes people to brake sudenly in panic as they are driving to close to the car in front.

Just had the scooby looked at as this happened to me on the M6 last week, Just need a new bumper but could have been worse. This was after the guy locked up but got away with it because of the large gap I leave in front. He then just went into the back of me when crawling along in traffic.

I feel sorry for the Guy in the Exige though as sometimes their is nothing you can do to stop this happening.

Si

Old 07 September 2001, 10:55 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Phil, via David!

I too saw your car yesterday morning, and have to say, " What a Bummer"

Hope that you're feeling OK.

Matt
Old 07 September 2001, 12:59 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Posted on Exiges.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>That was my Aqua Exige sitting on the hard shoulder, the Range Rover was shunted into me by a Ford Transit Pickup, the shunt also sent me into the back of Astra
The car is being looked at and i'll know by tomorrow if it has been written off or not, in away i wish it would be but seeing the work quality of the repairers i know if they fixed it then it would be in a better shape than when it left the factory !!
The rear clam was completely smashed in at the rear, but what Harj could'nt see was that the clam had moved forward and buried itself by splitting the passenagers door in half from top to bottom.
The front clam will also need replacing and roof has no mounting holes as they ripped out aswell.
All in all, the car is a mess with 18 inches of rear chassis showing out of the back.

I've just got back from the hospital with nothing more than a stiff neck and brusing to some ribs.

So guys, no donny for me, it may be months before i get the car back, thats if they decide to repair it of course. Otherwise i will be looking for a new Aqua Exige.

Regards
Phil Davies
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08 September 2001, 12:07 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

That was pretty bad, but another member did this the day before:
Old 08 September 2001, 12:18 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Best check the Grale forum to see if they found this one funny too....

MB

Old 08 September 2001, 12:41 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Just checked out the other wrecked lotus on the link. Looks bad as well. Hope all crashees are ok.

The lotus bbs looks exactly like scoobynet, cant b coincidence!
Old 08 September 2001, 12:49 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by scoobynutta555:
<B>The lotus bbs looks exactly like scoobynet, cant b coincidence![/quote]

The Madrona Park/Infopop/UltimateBBS is used on tens of thousands of bulletin boards around the world. It was once the industry standard.