I'm a prat, but what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2001, 05:54 PM
Dom99
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi,

Clear motorway, early morning, pefect road conditions and yes, I got clocked doing 120MPH down the M5. Yes, it was stupid and I won't be doing it again!

I got given the formal ticket and told the case would be forwarded etc. I have no other points on the license but am 24 and male, so preparing for the worst.

Questions:

1) Any ideas on the likely outcome?
2) Should I get a solicitor? I read a previous (old) post which recommended Andreas Serghis - is he still recommended?
3) Given that I haven't yet been convicted of an offense, do I still have to notify my insurers?

Advice, tips etc. much appreciated.

Dom
Old 27 August 2001, 05:58 PM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

Oh dear

No advice really, sorry - a little sympathy.

Good luck.
Old 27 August 2001, 06:19 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dom,
Out of interest where were you on the M5, I have had several moments where I thought I'd been nicked before, including one yesterday afternoon! From what you have written I'm guessing you were stopped at the scene (if not you could be ok, mail me), I think 120mph is really a definate Ban. A solicitor may help you reduce the the length of ban/size of fine. You will need reasons why you need your car, employer's letters etc, but a ban does look likely.

All Sympathy and good luck

Jon
Old 27 August 2001, 06:23 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Dom,

sorry to hear that m8

try these as well:
Old 27 August 2001, 06:31 PM
Dom99
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the support. Have looked at the ukspeedtraps site and now know that it was a VASCAR 500 system.

polarbearit,

I was M5 southbound, probably about 20 - 25 miles south of Birmingham. Was a bit distracted to look at junction numbers!

Things are not looking good
Old 27 August 2001, 08:17 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have been prosecuted recently on the M5 near Cullompton J27 (ban ends 12th Sept) but I was going somewhat faster.

The big question you'll be asked by your solicitor is whether you job depends on you driving... If it does you may get off with a very short ban or just points. If not I would say you're looking at a six month (ish) ban.

Another tip, if they send you a means statement and you earn over £30K then don't return it. Even if the balance after required expenses is zero they cane you as they only look at the top line. (I got a £2500 fine altogether, but I only showed £150 free per month)

Get a good solicitor and prepare for a ban... Sorry m8.

...CharlieP

P.S. The clerk of the court is a well known barstewerd in Cullompton (I'm very surprised somebody hasn't had a go at him yet), avoid having the case heard there if poss!!
Old 27 August 2001, 09:11 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your troubles. But whats done is done. Be prepared for a ban and high insurance. You should have stole the motor and then done a runner in it. If you had then been caught its your first offence so you would most probably get a warning.
Old 27 August 2001, 09:12 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Assuming you were in worcestershire, this is where I had my moment yesterday, fortunately someone else got nicked... I don't travel on that bit of the M5 that often, but when I do it is usually quick! Oddly it is only around that area (just south of Worcester I think) that I ever see police on the M5 (though I believe that south of Bristol is quite heavily traffic policed now!

Anyway good luck, get a good case for car use and your ban should at least be shorter. I don't think you can challege the accuracy etc, seems even if the aren't accurately used the courts don't seem to find in favour

Jon
Old 27 August 2001, 09:52 PM
scoobystutooswifetoo
Scooby Newbie

Dom,
what ever you do, DON'T argue with them as you will find your fine will be worse!!!
You will find if you go to court( which you prob will have to) it will depend very much on the magistrate. As said before if you depend on your car for work etc they may be better off....... Good luck anyway......

Lorraine
Old 27 August 2001, 10:17 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by polarbearit:
<B>Assuming you were in worcestershire, this is where I had my moment yesterday, fortunately someone else got nicked... I don't travel on that bit of the M5 that often, but when I do it is usually quick! Oddly it is only around that area (just south of Worcester I think) that I ever see police on the M5 (though I believe that south of Bristol is quite heavily traffic policed now!

Anyway good luck, get a good case for car use and your ban should at least be shorter. I don't think you can challege the accuracy etc, seems even if the aren't accurately used the courts don't seem to find in favour

Jon[/quote]

...thats cos West Mercia HQ is 1.5 miles from J6 of the M5..they sit on the bridge over J6 and get ya by the next junction southbound where they pull u off on the sliproad of J7...believe me I know
Old 28 August 2001, 12:36 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry to hear that.

Get a solicitor. I could be wrong but I'm sure there's a vague possibility of a custodial sentence in there somewhere. Wouldn't be great turning up without legal representation before being sent straight to the prison shower-block!

An acquaintance turned up to face charges of dangerous driving years ago, and was dismayed when it was explained to him that he may be sent down for a while! Luckilly it was just a large fine and a long ban.
Old 28 August 2001, 10:13 AM
Dom99
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Richard,

That makes sense - just looked at the notice that they gave me (requesting me to show my insurance docs.) and it was at Junct. 7.

CharlieP,

Thanks for the tips. Problem is I'm not sure I can reasonably claim that I need the car for work. Will have to see...

Thankfully, I avoided arguing; in fact, I was almost the model citizen (having read previous posts on this topic). Didn't seem to help though......

[This message has been edited by Dom99 (edited 28 August 2001).]
Old 28 August 2001, 01:16 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

We are silly aren't we...

I got snapped last night...ermmm, sideways. I only did it cos it was safe and there was plenty room. There were no people and no cars about - midnight on a Sunday... Speed was an awsome 45mph!

What did that top copper pull to get out of his 'snap'?

Any advice welcome (hopefully cam will not have any film in mind...)

D

GT3 has a lot to answer for...