Sponsored by:

Best breakdown service?

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2002, 07:57 PM
reaton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've decided to join one of the breakdown services just in case and wondered if anyone had any opinions on which is best.

I'm looking to cover both my Impreza and 2nd car for myself only.

Any feedback appreciated...

Cheers

Rich
Old 05 September 2002, 01:02 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I have been with Direct Line Rescue (get it with my Insurance) and I was most impressed with them when i called them out with my previous car.
Old 05 September 2002, 02:29 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

not too sure, but RAC have been good, AA are crap in my terms.
Old 05 September 2002, 02:41 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Never had any need to use one with any of my cars. With Subaru Assistance now as it comes with the extended warranty I got with my dutch MY00 import.
Old 05 September 2002, 07:03 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Well I used Green Flag with my old car, and had to use them 3 times in a week! Wasn't particularly impressed with the speed of turnout, as on the first occassion it took them 90 minutes to get to me. However it was 1am and raining on a Saturday night (isn't it always?!). They send a van out, and he did correctly diagnose the fault, but I then had to wait for a recovery truck. I eventually got home at 6am, and I only broke down 45 mimutes from home.

I then had to call them omn the Monday to recover the car to the garage, and they were here within 20 minutes and all went well.

Having picked the car up from the garage on Wednesday morning and the garage admitting they couldn't find anything wrong despite me telling them what Green Flag said it broke down again at a petrol station that afternoon. Took them an hour to get to me, and then the guy that turned up spent ages trying to work out what was wring, despite me telling him what the previous guy had diagnosed. He also insisted on m putting some petrol in it, when I had only stopped to buy some sarnies! Having spent an hour on it he finally admitted defeat, and left me to wait an hour for a recovery truck! Did get amusing then as Recovery truck was one where they lift the front wheels and tow you behind. He loaded me up, started to leave the petrol station then realised he couldn't get round the exit! Cue time to unload on car and push it out and reload, and lots of fumoing car drivers who couldn't get out the petrol station!

However Green Flag did arrange a hire car for, same they gave me the wrong address for the hire company, but the car was handy for a couple of days whilst the garage fixed the car.

Incidentially the car was a Sao (no modifications!) and 2 weeks after this occurence I bought my Scooby.
Old 05 September 2002, 07:11 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Meant to say I got to use Subaru Assistance in France when some ****** tried to break in to the car and as they couldn't get in decided it would be a good idea to put a screwdriver through one of the tyres. I couldn't get the wheel off, locking wheel nut wouldn't come off, so called Subaru Assistance (turned out to be a good result!)

Anyway they sent someone out, who got their quickly, he tried and tried to reove the locing wheel nut and failed. So eventually decided I need recovering, tkaes me to the local tyre dealer who take one look at the car and say "Non". So off to the Subaru dealer we go. They say we won't have a new tyre in until tomorrow and in any event we have to give you two. They also kindly point out th ******* have put a screwdriver through the drivers door lock.

So I call Subaru Assistance who then booked a hotel for me, and it was a nice one too, although it did take a few calls to them to resolve that they were going to, and had actually booked it!

Anyway service isn't bad especially as it comes for free!
Old 05 September 2002, 12:09 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

I've used the AA for years and have never had any complaints. When my GF has been stranded a couple of times they've turned up REALLY quickly to help her out.. No experience of any others though but would find it hard to imagine a better service..
Old 05 September 2002, 12:12 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Been with the RAC, have needed to use them three times unfortunately, but each time they were brilliant!!!

I remember a thread not so long ago whereby they don't cover trailers, so no use if you intend to tow!!!
Old 05 September 2002, 12:26 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Britannia Rescue - can't fault em and been with them for years.

BTW - £55 quid for fully comp cover through the CSMA Vastly cheaper than any of the others
Old 05 September 2002, 12:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Only ever had bad experiences with the RAC
Old 05 September 2002, 01:28 PM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

I've heard service from AA is better but RAC were a lot cheaper at £34 for joint cover (special offer on net), compared to £60 odd with AA, so i chose that for me and my g/f. Hopefully won't have to use it - touch wood!
Old 05 September 2002, 01:43 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

I have had no probs with the AA.
Used to have to call them out every week!! I've been through some crappy cars in my time!!
I also recently upgraded to PLC cover which for £40 they will pay the first £500 of any fix required after a breakdown. There is some small print but it looks like a very ggod deal, considering I run an imported STi3.
Old 05 September 2002, 02:32 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Talking

Best value has to be Auto National Rescue - It's basically an insurance policy. I've used them 3 times in the last few years (not in a Subaru though) and they are fine - best bit - £28 a year - beat that
They insure you and your spouse for whatever car you are in at the time.
Old 05 September 2002, 03:21 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Bein a former two Rover family, we've had much use of the RAC. Cant fault them other than their crap call out time - normally 2 hours. Driver always seems to come from *miles* away...
Old 05 September 2002, 05:34 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

In my opinion stay away from the AA,in my experience they are EXTREMELY underhanded.!!!!!!
I was a member for two years and lets just say after 2 bad experiences with them I will not be renewing, I look forward to others comments as I need another rescue company.

Andy
Old 24 October 2002, 12:54 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

any further on this?

AA or RAC?

Old 24 October 2002, 12:59 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

AA r absolutely ****e..they refuse to come out if u call em 6 times in a year( even if youve got a joint membership.....)..and they then demand £45 call out fee...bunch of tossers.
Old 24 October 2002, 01:02 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

been in the RAC for 4 years and never used them until i bought my scooby 4 months ago. Had a problem with my upper radiator hose, kept on blowing it off.

They replaced it with a flexi hose, blew that off 15 moles down the road, called them out 15 mins later and they came out with a flat bed low loader and took it to the subaru dealer near me. NO PROBLEMS, more importantly, no costs.
Old 24 October 2002, 01:44 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

RAC so far then ...
Old 24 October 2002, 05:10 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Check with your insurance company, some companies have tie ups with recovery companies & can give a cheaper deal for the same product.
Old 24 October 2002, 06:04 PM
bike2track
Scooby Regular

I sell RAC cover through my Company 'Channel Crossers'

Level 1 Roadside, Recovery, At Home, Accident Support
Level 2 Roadside, Recovery, At Home, Accident Support, 1 Day Onward Travel
Level 3 Roadside, Recovery, At Home, Accident Support, 3 Day Onward Travel

Level 1: My Normal Price: £60.00
Level 2: My Normal Price: £67.61
Level 3: My Normal Price: £73.97

I also offer European cover for £35 This is for the year!!!!

4 days with the AA/RAC is normally £34.20 so mine is cheaper..by loads.

I will offer all Scooby net peeps a 10% Discount

Old 24 October 2002, 06:07 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Go into a Hill House Hammond insurance shop. They have a cheap deal with Green Flag & the will let you pay in monthly insallments!