Sponsored by:

To mis-space or not to mis-space

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2001, 03:24 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hypothetically speaking....... If you decided to get a private plate, would you consider mis-spacing it so that it looks more like you intend it????

I know its against the rules, and therefore I would not do it ;-) , but I see several misplaced or funny font plates every day, and Im sure they've not all been fined a grand. As long as the plate is readable and in the correct font, I cant see a problem.

It seems like a double standard that the dvla will let you buy a plate that they know spells something, and then you can be fined for displaying it in such a way.
Anyway, shouldnt plod be more interested in getting the toerags that nick motors, not pulling people over for pointless offences.

Just my opinion of course, what do you think....
Old 17 July 2001, 04:01 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

As with race cans on motorbikes (illegal yet common) I personally don't think it's worth the bother. My reasoning is this - the only time you will get grief is when the police pull you up for some other perceived infraction of the law, and then an illegally spaced number plate just gives them more to pick on you for. And I just couldn't be bothered with the agro of producers etc.
When I bought S4 EMJ for my *ahem* S4 the DVLA were very keen to let me know it was illegal to misspace, and even enquired into the reason for my purchase - just to make sure I wasn't trying to spell a word.
(In fact it's S4 for the car and EMJ for Emily Jane my daughter - EmJay for short)
Chuck
Old 17 July 2001, 04:04 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Personally I'm not keen it.

R8 CEU = RACE U (errr not really!)

I am sure that DVLA will have done some research which shows that the spacing is helpful to the police as a car can be traced from just a fragment of the reg no. (in combination with coulour and model etc.) in hit and runs etc.

But then again a distinctive, and witty mis-spaced number should be pretty recognisable too.

I prefer the US style vanity plates and given that they seem to cope in a country of 250m people (OK so there are 52 States) I don't see why the UK had to go for the [AB 12 CDE] system which is about to start.

'RACEU' would be cool, but may not even be allowed in the litigation-centric US!

I wonder how much P1 ZZA would be worth, and that needs no re-spacing!
Old 17 July 2001, 04:07 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Just makes you more obvious, unless that`s what you want. Do not see the point myself - give the cash to SdB`s charity effort instead.

Cheers

Old 17 July 2001, 04:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I'll let you know when I get pulled.
Y5 NOT
Old 17 July 2001, 04:28 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Chuck

Bought a plate for Ez too!

As she is known to us as "Minx", got her M1NXD

Going on her mum's new Mini Cooper

I will probably be spacing out all the letters slightly, but wouldn't put the D away from the other letters. Let the person looking work it out.

Old 17 July 2001, 04:59 PM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Never has to mis-space any of mine:

S66 XXX
P16 ONK
EDS 661B

Old 17 July 2001, 05:10 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

One of the few decent and appropriate number plates that didn't require dodgy spacing/fonts/screw caps/degree in cryptography/active imagination is one I saw in London on a plumbers van :-

DRA 1N

Personally I wouldn't have a personalised or doctored plate. Firstly, being anonymous is a good thing in a Scoob for numerous reasons. Secondly, the whole spacing etc thing just gives the Police an extra excuse to pull you over. Also, I gather the labour government (oxymoron if ever there was one!) have decided to clamp down heavily on illegal number plates when the new system comes into play this September. Never mind about real crooks, just think about the tax revenue...