Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have tints?? Look in if you do....

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2006, 10:53 PM
X30NGO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have tints?? Look in if you do....

I am getting tints on monday and i am undecided up to now whether to get the front sides done.

Obviously for looks i should, BUT because i have a mis-spaced plate to spell my nickname, i am worried that i may get pulled because i have tints on the front sides and they may say "while i'm here i'll **** you for your plate".

Do you have your front sides tinted and do you get pulled much? Have you been fined and ordered to remove the tints? Have you been pulled and they haven't done anything? etc etc!!

I'm Not sure what to do!!!!
Old 12 December 2006, 11:07 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

see here

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ce-please.html
Old 13 December 2006, 10:01 AM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Been 'pulled' once in the whole 21 months i've had mine (lightest possible tint on the front windows).

Guy used a device to measure the light, said they were illegal but quite near the borderline, but they weren't "doing" anyone that night, just acting as an advisory service.

I only got pulled because i'd went to my first and only local cruise.
Old 13 December 2006, 11:28 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oobster
Been 'pulled' once in the whole 21 months i've had mine (lightest possible tint on the front windows).

Guy used a device to measure the light, said they were illegal but quite near the borderline, but they weren't "doing" anyone that night, just acting as an advisory service.

I only got pulled because i'd went to my first and only local cruise.
Theres the problem... it was tested at night !!
Old 13 December 2006, 05:21 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

PS get your plate sorted dude. Not only will it attract the police to you (which everyone could do without) but illegally spaced plates make a car look poo and a driver look silly...

Those plates with funny fonts and black/yellow screws in the wrong places are the work of chav scum - who usually drive round with their foglights on or holding a mobile to their ear (in my experience).

They should have a defective vehicle notice served on them; whereby if they are caught more than once the car is taken and crushed...

Check with the local police re % of tint that's legal and ask them what they think of the plate before you commision the work to be done. Make sure you ask for a traffic cop though to get a slightly more clear answer

Front tints imply a driver is incredibly ugly. Back tints imply one likes to sh@g spasmodically at the road side and both draw unwanted attention from the police so if you have a gun, bomb, drugs, immigrant, liverpool kit or kernife yu could do without it

You knows it make sense
Old 13 December 2006, 06:29 PM
X30NGO
Scooby Regular

cheers for the posts...

My plate has correct font, correct sized lettering and correct colouring. The only thing thats wrong is that it should be X30 NGO and it's X 30NGO. Because my nickname is Bongo (don't ask why its a **** long story from 12 years ago...)

bongo
Old 13 December 2006, 06:42 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X30NGO
I am getting tints on monday and i am undecided up to now whether to get the front sides done.

Obviously for looks i should, BUT because i have a mis-spaced plate to spell my nickname, i am worried that i may get pulled because i have tints on the front sides and they may say "while i'm here i'll **** you for your plate".

Do you have your front sides tinted and do you get pulled much? Have you been fined and ordered to remove the tints? Have you been pulled and they haven't done anything? etc etc!!

I'm Not sure what to do!!!!
i have tints and had a mis-spaced number plate as well. i have recently been to court and have a large fine to pay for the plate, its now legal. MHO...the more you have done to your car the more chance you will get pulled for something. the police assume that you are smoking drugs if you have tints
Old 13 December 2006, 07:34 PM
Sizer
Scooby Regular

I got one of the lightest tints on the front windows, mrs got pulled the other week on the motorway (for possibly exceeding the limit) and they didnt mention the windowas at all, just gave her a warning for the speed...
Old 13 December 2006, 10:16 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

I got the whole backend of mines done, i left the front alone to avoid any hassle.
Old 13 December 2006, 10:57 PM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

when i first had mine window tints i had black on the rears and smoked on front, got pulled and to save any further hassle had them replaced with the lightest tint that Pentagon glass tech do which i was told was legal, looks good does look tinted and as yet in 2years have had no problems with it.
Old 13 December 2006, 11:14 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

guys maby this is just a problem i have had with my 3 scoobs....when the car is a bit on the dirty side does the driver's window scrape slightly when putting it down on your cars and would this affect the tinting film?
i have been thinking of tints but this is the only thing putting me off
Old 14 December 2006, 06:58 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

there is an issue with scraping on tinted windows. I dont know if it is limited to scoobs, but I know of at least 3 other people who have small scratches on the tints from the blocks inside the door. I think the guy who did mine, said it was more common on frameless doors due to the way the glass moves up and down and angles at the last minute.
Old 14 December 2006, 07:36 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

my tints are two years old and i have had no scraping on mine yet
Old 14 December 2006, 08:03 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

I have limo tints on the back, just legal on the front, misspaced number plate, big graphics, the lot....and was only pulled over once by a whole meat-wagon for a little overtaking

After they came out with "Just because you have a nice car doesn't mean you can drive like that... " line, they started asking me about the car and let me on my way....
I've also been driving with my fog/side lights for the past month as one of my HID bulbs has gone and i'm trying to find somewhere that sells ONE....haven't had a peep out of them.....

I drive with my window half down 99% of the time so it looks lighter anyway
Old 14 December 2006, 09:03 AM
Draggon
Scooby Newbie

Default Tints

I've got darkest all round and never been stopped, had them since 2004. I think the problem is if you draw attention to yourself on another matter, speeding, or being in a notoriously high race area. The police, to combat the racers may use the tinted window angle to reduce road racer meets.. think unless they are on a major " crack down on tints specifically" I dont think they care that much.
Old 14 December 2006, 10:51 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I don't have any tints on my Scoob, but I do on my discovery - only on the back windows. I went for medium smoke as having driven a Scorpio estate with limo black tint which was fine during the day - trying to reverse at night was ludicrously scary! - I had no idea what was behind the car.

Also if you go for limo black the contrast with the untinted windows is too sharp IMHO

Another benefit to tints along with looks (if you like the look ) cooler in summer and a bit of privacy for rear of car is improved security of windows.

Nice 'how to' video here if you want to give it a go yourself http://wms.scripps.com/diy/ccr/ccr-102-4.wmv

Mick
Old 14 December 2006, 10:55 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

TV in the front.....Limo tints in the back?

I make that pimps o'clock.......
Old 14 December 2006, 11:01 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Pentagon Light Smoke all the way round. Subtle, but effective.
Old 14 December 2006, 11:06 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

got dark tints on the rear window and back windows on mine very dark i might add, even darker than what most peole say is limo dark. they were on the front as well and after pulling out on 3 people within a wekk (thank **** all 3 of them were on the ball and managed to brake in time) i took them off, stay well clear of front tints, to make much difference with them you have to go A not only ilegal but B dangerous with them.
Old 14 December 2006, 11:31 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

do they take the glass out to fit the tinting film ?
Old 14 December 2006, 11:55 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

No don't remove glass - see link to vid above...

Brief summary

Buy film off ebay ~ £10 for 3m x 50 cm
Make paper template
clean window (I mean CLEAN )
cut film to size
peel protection off
squirt film and window with copious quantities of dilute washing up water (CLEAN )
apply film to window
move into right place
apply washing up water to inside film surface
squeegee out liquid removing air bubbles
if glass is curved you will get 'fingers' - apply heat gun to shrink film to fit
continue squeegeeing until satisfied with job & leave to dry out fully.

There are quite a few illustrated guides on the web...

good luck

Mick
Old 14 December 2006, 11:59 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Pentagon remove the glass....and thats the best way to do it

Otherwise you get the tell-tell sign of a 5mm gap around the window edge.....
Old 14 December 2006, 12:55 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
- and that costs how much - I think we are coming at it from different angles here - stripping all the glass compared with my DIY with £10 worth of tint from ebay

- mostly you can remove the surrounding seals in moving glass to enable edges to be covered. With most fixed glass, modern cars have a black 'soft' edge to them which hides any gap well - but you can get pretty close anyway if you want. - makes it easier to remove again if there is a gap though!

At the end of the day even proffesionals have horror stories like breaking bits of trim which ends up wiping out any profit they would have made on the job LOL

Anyway yer pays yer money...

Mick
Old 14 December 2006, 12:59 PM
bagpipes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I think it is actually illegal to have your drivers windows tinted now as the law changed about a year ago, I will check with my friend as that is what he dose for a living.
Old 14 December 2006, 04:35 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Default Yes I got done

Actually got pulled for speed but then did me for everything...

108mph on motorway (N. Ireland)
Took 1/2 hr to go over car. Light metered the windies and tape measured the plate.

Sent to court
6 points and £450
3 offences - Speed, unreadable plate and unable to see out windies (In his opinion)

Just upgraded WRX to STI - going to get the back 3 tinted. And a legal plate (well nearly)

If getting tints done - Pentagon is the way to go - Light smoked on front and smoked on back 3. (even light smoked on front is still illegal) Up 2 U.
Old 14 December 2006, 05:35 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geds
Actually got pulled for speed but then did me for everything...

108mph on motorway (N. Ireland)
Took 1/2 hr to go over car. Light metered the windies and tape measured the plate.

Sent to court
6 points and £450
3 offences - Speed, unreadable plate and unable to see out windies (In his opinion)

Just upgraded WRX to STI - going to get the back 3 tinted. And a legal plate (well nearly)

If getting tints done - Pentagon is the way to go - Light smoked on front and smoked on back 3. (even light smoked on front is still illegal) Up 2 U.
I think the key is in that sentence.

I stupidly answered a call on my mobile, old bill caught up to me, pulled alongside at lights and gave me a warning. I don't have a dodgey plate and the light smoked, really is light, not a mention.
Old 14 December 2006, 05:50 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

if you have an accident with the fronts tinted then you'll probably get the blame as the car is illegal . whether the smack was your fault or not.

i know if i had 1 involving an illegal vehicle i'd certainly call ole bill

that's not me being boring, thats me being sensible , i DID have all 5 tinted (90%) but when someone told me the above i immediately removed the fronts as it is a good point.
Old 14 December 2006, 05:51 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I think the key is in that sentence.

I stupidly answered a call on my mobile, old bill caught up to me, pulled alongside at lights and gave me a warning. I don't have a dodgey plate and the light smoked, really is light, not a mention.
yeah but if you had wicked limo tints on the front, the old bill would never have seen you was on the phone !!!

(only joking )

I found the cheapest way to achieve a really dark tint and stay legal is to forget the car windows and tint your contact lenses...

(sorry in a silly mood)
Old 14 December 2006, 05:51 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

my glass was removed, no gaps
Old 14 December 2006, 05:54 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
my glass was removed, no gaps
tempting.... *stop it chris*

Quick Reply: Do you have tints?? Look in if you do....