Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary moment...

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2001, 12:10 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very similar happened some years ago, in my old Peugeot 305 GT (I was at Uni, so please forgive me!!)

I was on my way to Bedford from Milton Keynes, on a short bit of Dual Carriageway...me doing about 85 in the outer lane coming up to pass a coach. I get to about 20 feet behind the bus and he suddenly veered into my lane (I think it was to overtake a bloody scooter...But I didn't see the scooter!)

So I stamp on the anchors, to suddenly find out the one of the rear brakes is pulling harder than the other.....rear wheels lock up and I am fishtailing heading straight towards the central barrier. I had two wheels on the grass next the barrier, then suddenly the back end swung into the barrier.....a massive bang....

Eventually stopped in a layby, the bus didn't stop....I got out the car, believing I would have no rear end left....all I had was a slight dint in the rear wing and a chipped lense.

But that was a very scary moment....I got the brakes fixed sharpish!!

Jim
Old 13 July 2001, 12:19 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I had a nova gte as a runabout recently, until a DHL van decided that he would switch lane to overtake without checking his mirrors whilst I was alongside him... This is how I know you can lock all four wheels up on a nova gte whilst doing 60ish. I avoided the impact but ended up on a grass bank. Fortunately he stopped and admitted his fault, DHL's insurance company is going to write the car off as the rear axle mountings were put out of line. Mind you, they are going to pay up and leave the car with me... with a bit of work I'll have a free car for road or track.

Moray
Old 13 July 2001, 08:35 AM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Red face

I had a bit of an adrenaline rush this morning on the way to work.

Driving up the motorway in the outside lane doing 80mph passing traffic and I was approaching an Articulated Lorry.

I was in the outside lane about 20 yards from the rear of the lorry when all of a sudden the brakes on the trailer locked on but the tractor unit was still pulling.

Tyre smoke everywhere and the trailer started to move out to the right and into my path.

I jumped on the brakes to avoid hitting him and he managed to regain control of the lorry and I passed with caution.

I looked in my mirror as I passed and he flashed at me to apologise and just then the same thing happened again and he managed to get over onto the hard shoulder and stop.

Last time I felt a rush like that I was at Alton Towers.

Anyone else had any scary moments like that?

O.M.

[This message has been edited by Octane Man (edited 13 July 2001).]
Old 13 July 2001, 09:14 AM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Ah yes, brings back memories... In my old MK II Golf doing 80 (ish) in the outside lane. Halfway alongside Articulated lorry who doesn't indicate and cuts sharply into my lane. My passenger wing mirror was rubbing on the lorry until it broke off and my drivers side wheel was on the gravel of the central reservation! After a very heavy skid and when the tyre smoke had cleared I found myself facing the wrong way in the fast lane of the motorway.
After pulling myself together & carrying on a bit the lorry driver had stopped about half a mile up the road on the hard shoulder. After having a screaming fit at this bloke he apologised profusely as he had been cut up by another lorry and had nowhere to go but into my path.... 1 Week later I was booked onto a skid control course.
Old 13 July 2001, 09:58 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

My brother relayed to me a story of what happened to him.

He was passing a car in lane 3, when out of the corner of his eye he thought he saw something, instinctively he braked heavily. The car that was in lane 2 was now going backwards at 70, spinning towards lane 3.

Luckily no damage to either (other than the blow out on the other car), but the image of the chap driving the car, looking back at my brother as he overtakes him backwards is hillarious.