Nurburgring OOOOPPPAAAALLLLLAAAAHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2001, 02:34 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

What a weekend .

I had been wanting desperately to drive the Nurburgring for as long as I can remember, and nothing can prepare you for the shear fear that runs through your thumping heart and shaking brake leg on that first lap of the 13mile road course in Nurburg. I don’t care how hard you think you are, or how greater driver, this circuit is seriously fast, scary, and tricky, and I’m still in awe, after completing 12odd laps. Total respect to it.!!. But I swear by my happily burbling, undamaged Scooby that this place is fan-bloody-tastic . Imagine Dono 6 times as long, twice as wide and three times more technical. That’s the Ring.

The worst part of the Ring is the fact that nearly every corner has extremely high angled kerbs, that if you were to hit them would either send you flying into the barriers that are in very close proximity, square off a wheel or two, or worse!! I think Lee (Renault 25 Turbo) had the nearest escape in these respects when entering one of the chicanes, only to find himself heading backwards up over the kerbs and resting inches from the barriers. Then only to nearly be left with his car pivoting over the apex, as he tried to rejoin the track in a different spot. His passenger noticed at the last second the 12” drop. I told you they were high.

The best parts?? Just being there, experiencing and actually learning this amazing track. The sense of self achievement is mind blowing. Its so long that experience of the track and actually getting it right from start to finish is difficult.

The travelling at very high speeds, with a four wheel drift, knowing that you are inches from a nasty accident, but also knowing that you remember the next corner, and that next time you can go a little quicker just by exiting the previous corner faster, and more confidently.

A wet Ring. Weirdly I found that the track when wet (Saturday afternoon) was amazing. I just revelled in it, so did J Felsted. Even had a bumper to bumper lap with the Atom, both of us sideways, having scary moments under braking (damn abs, I’ll disconnect it next time) until on the second banked (carousel) section he got one wheel over the top of the banking, spun, perched the car on the apex travelling sideways facing the Armco, balanced with both wheels in the air, sparks flying from the undertray, me thinking aarrrggghhhh I’m going to T-bone him, were all going to die. Both the Askew brothers were passengers in the cars. Then the Atom tipped resulting in one of the wheels grabbing the tarmac. This spun the nose into to barrier, then that spun the car 180° smashing the left rear into the barrier, and dumped the Atom back onto the kerbing, pivoting nicely.

The best parts of the track were with spectator points that you seem to master and attack harder. Afterall you gotta put on a good show. And the two banked sections were you can feel your whole body being pressed into your seat as you zoom through these fast angled corners.

Oh and the 9minute lap I managed , on my first Ring trip and after 8laps. I know I can go faster. I’m well happy.

Finally the other best part of the weekend. The people, no not the Germans. I was a little anxious about the fact that I did not know anyone personally going on this trip, only through this board had I formed an opinion or got to know people a little, and I was wondering what to expect. Well my expectations were bettered. The whole Ring crew were brilliant and we had such a laugh,
especially when we found out courtesy of one the inebriated Scooby laydeee in the group about the actual waxing of female German armpit and bikini lines, apparently they do it.!!. That was news to everyone. Everybody just got on with having fun, were very friendly and we had what can only be said as an excellent time. From the convoying on down, the vodka/tequila guzzling in the bar until sunrise, and the general atmosphere was outstanding.

Notes for next time, get more power, cut slicks, go home after that first drink and not stay for a further 10 doubles. Mmmmmmm that last point will never happen

THANKS to the organisers of the trip, Tony Quinn, Harj, Bike n Track, and to Stef for scarying me silly on an 8min 29 lap, Mr. Felstead for giving my girlfriend Sandy the ‘second’ best ride of her life while he did a 8min14 lap, his personal best I believe. How you did that John, I will never know, Sandy had the shortest dress on??

What a great weekend & a great crew.

Roll on the next one.

M

[This message has been edited by MRK (edited 03 July 2001).]
Old 03 July 2001, 09:02 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Alright Geezers

What a soooooperb trip!! Had an absolutely brilliant time. Really good to meet up with some of the Scoobynetters that have remained "faceless" for a while! The weather was great, despite the thunderstorms, and Sunday was just about perfect

Did quite a few laps over the course of the weekend, and it was great to sit next to some of the gang too, and offer some advice too!! ( Yeah right!) Went out in the rain on Saturday, and slid around for a lap. Even on Sunday, the Beemer was sliding a bit on one or two corners. Just ask Mr.Rubery! My man in the boot was getting thrown around a bit too, however I noted that he didn't spill a drop of the XO Cognac or crack the Waterford Balloons that I had in there!! LOL

This trip was the first time that anyone other than me has driven my car, but it went without a hitch! Phew! Both Nathan and Owain behaved themselves, although it got a little "Fruity" through the Wipperman with that certain oily Welsh mate of ours!

Nice to have a chat with Clarkson on Saturday morning. He asked me what I thought about this video that a strange Italian looking bloke called Guiseppe had given him! I said that I thought it was fine, unless you're a Cossie fan! LOL

Sorry to have missed the convoy on the way home, but we had a laugh with some English bikers coming back from the Dutch TT! I don't reckon that the Blade rider believed the "D" badge on the back!!

Thanks to absolutely everyone that came along, and all I can say is that I can't wait to do it again. Roll on the next one.

Matt

Old 03 July 2001, 09:28 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Yep,

Absolutely fantastic trip. I am not entirely sure drinking till sunrise then going on the Ring for the first time ever in your 3 month old car within 3 hours of going to bed was the brightest move I have ever made!! Fortunately, Harj knew where we were going and could tell me where I should be going.

Great to meet all you folks as your all new to me. Friends for a long time to come, I am sure.

By Sunday lunchtime my confidence in the car and myself were increasing, so I will be getting some brakes before Septeber so I can go a little quicker. An amazing place.

Do you know I keep getting the check engine light on at a constant 80 mph, hence I missed the outward ferry as I had to return to Listers to get it off again. Well, 110-120mph all the way to the Ring, two days on track, a fantastic thrash, sorry drive, back to Calais etc etc. SIX poxy miles up the M20 at 80mph and guess what happens! Yep, you are right. Off to Listers tomorrow to get it sorted for about the eigth time.

PS, avoid the Bromyard Road!!!!
Old 03 July 2001, 09:41 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Sorry, got carried away and forgot to thank those who organised the trip, thanks guys.

I am sure all who were there will also join me in thanking Stef for unwittingly providing Saturday nights entertainment!
My broken ribs hurt more laughing at 'Tash's antics on Saturday than doing an 8.19 lap with John in the Westfield!!

TAXI?
Old 04 July 2001, 07:16 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Top trip guys

Thanks to Tony & Harj for sorting everything out. And well done to the little chap in Matt's boot who worked unseen and unheard throughout the trip keeping the beemer spotless and fending off the local natives

Cheers to Owain for sorting my car out - did Harj's wife make you scrub her leather in the end ?

Sorry to Askew Junior for sending him out for a lap with Tony - looked a little green when he got back LOL Got some good footage following Askew senior for a couple of sideways laps. Matt in the Civic seemed to be having fun through the corners. Nath, Elvis and Owain claimed a few scalps in the hire car - nice one!

Cheers to Harj, Matt and Stef for the speedy laps - no chance I was going out with Tony who was mapping his car on track

Good to see everybody else too - great bunch!

Some bad news though - I was made redundant yesterday - not a very nice experience Still got a good pay out and I'm sure I'll find something soon

Hopefully be back in September

Rich.
Old 04 July 2001, 08:54 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Great trip - didn't think it would be better than the first time at Easter, but it was!! Thanks to Matt for showing me some lines on a very damp track on Saturday afternoon. Shame my car was overboosting badly which limited the number of laps I did. However, that'll be sorted for the next trip and I can't wait

Rich - bad news mate Hope you get things sorted ASAP.

Cheers
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 04 July 2001).]
Old 04 July 2001, 02:13 PM
Renault21Porsche0
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys,

A big thankyou for an awesome weekend. What a laugh. No one was more surprised than I that the 21 made it there, round and back.

Apologies to the guys who had the pleasure of spinning/crashing with me !

Please raise your glasses for Harj for his organisation and for sitting in with me for my first lap, for Matt Oz and the right lines, Tony for taking me round in 8.36 (in traffic!) and John for a sublime sideways lap in Saturdays rain. And finally to Andrew Timmins for inviting me in the first place.

Sunday night was hilarious. Special mention must go to: Scoobychick (for organising the dial a pizza), Owen (for being Welsh), Tim[bloody nice bloke](every comedian needs a straight man), and finally to Richard(they must have seen you coming)Askew for the obligatory comedy fall without which the night would have been incomplete.

To all the new friends we all made
It was an honour, a pleasure and a privelege.

Cheers
Lee

Trending Topics

Old 05 July 2001, 01:42 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ahh yes that superb Dial a Pizza...

Askew had clearly consumed far too much earlier in the day because after a couple of slices he was clearly extreemly top heavy

So come on Lee, with a few subtle mods to BK1 (Boxter Killer 1) you could really start showing those pesky Scoobys a thing or two

Anyone met Charlie? Jolly nice bloke...

Smashing...
Old 09 July 2001, 12:57 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL
Old 09 July 2001, 09:24 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Wink

Damn that pizza ..... it had too much pepperoni and anchovies on it and far to many herbs...er no not herbs err I mean err bollox....I'll get me coat
Old 10 July 2001, 10:38 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Too 'spicey' for you then ehh Rich...

Snigger...chortle...

Old 12 November 2001, 12:52 PM
Tango
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Brilliant, another wicked Ring adventure.

I've gotta go to the next one

Luv sweet T