Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post for Sipie - Pulled out, foot down....nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2002, 08:06 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just had a call from Sipie (who only has work time internet access) On his was home he pulled out to overtake a tractor in 2nd gear at about 3k and floored it. He said the car pulled like a 1.0 litre for about 2-3 seconds before finally she pulled off as usual.

Sounds to me like the turbo didn't spool up for some reason but he'd like some idea of what happened and the chances of it happening again. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Kenny
Old 17 July 2002, 08:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Its the emissions thing, it kicks in in 2nd gear, blip the throttle b4 u go!!

Tony
Old 17 July 2002, 08:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

If you sit in 2nd for too long, the ecu in its infinate wisdom decides that to cheat a little it puts itself into a sort of limp mode so that it keeps the emissions down, like i said in the first post, blip the throttle or stick in 3rd then down it just as you go

Tony
Old 17 July 2002, 08:21 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think it's if you sit at 3000rpm in 2nd for more than either 3 or 5 seconds, you get 0.5 bar (basically half) boost when you floor it (the car thinks it's being emmissions tested so is "cheating"). Better to do it in 3rd, anticipate (presumably the overtake) so that you are spooling up as you accelerate towards the "subject" ( ) as you pull out.

Or change down from 3rd as you start the move.....

Matt
Old 17 July 2002, 08:24 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Sounds like this was more than just the emissions boost limitation. Both my MY95 and MY98 used to do this very occasionally without an obvious reason. They would almost completely fail to pull just as the power band started before eventually rectifying after a few seconds. Scary when it happens but both only did this 2 or 3 times in my 3 year ownership.

D.

ps just in case anyone's tempted, this is not overboost cut-out whcih occurs at 5-5500 revs.
Old 17 July 2002, 11:36 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd at 3000 is just the spot the emissions program would trigger, but you are still likely to have 150 lbft of torque by 4000 RPM so hardly like a 1.0 litre.

Fuel cut is certainly unlikely in 2nd gear, but can occur at least as low as 3000 RPM, but will depend on turbo matching, boost control method. In 5th gear with a Dawes it is easy to trigger it before 4000 RPM.
Old 18 July 2002, 08:40 AM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Depending on model year, could this possibly be the waste gate solenoid problem?

From what I remember, the solenoid would get contaminated with oil and then fool the ECU into thinking that overboost was occurring. The ECU would then cut power. Very disturbing when overtaking.

My Catalunya used to suffer from this quite a bit, until the dealer stopped completely filling it with oil when serviced.

With regards to the emissions program, which ECUs contain this code?

I'm just about to get a MY99 PPP car, so it would be good to know.

Andy.
Old 18 July 2002, 09:28 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

1) Thanks Saxo Boy for posting this and letting me know the thoughts.
2) Thanks everyone else for all your feedback.

10 months of the my99 and it doesn't even make a cough or splutter then it decides to scare the hell out of me by doing this!
Can't remember exactly if it was 2nd or 3rd gear but had held the rpm for some time at around 3k..

John Banks - thanks for that, on this occasion there was nowhere near 150lb of torque as it really felt more like a fuel cut or briefly went on to 3 cylinders or something....!

Tony - Thanks for that as well, John seems to feel that the mode the ECU would go into would provide a bit more power? Is your experience 'zero power' or as John says around 150lb of torque? Really curious on this one!

I'll keep you all updated if it happens again etc..but in the mean time I'll give it a blip or change up then down prior to any 'post long queue tractor overtaking maneouvres'

Thanks again
Simon

[Edited by SiPie - 7/18/2002 9:34:54 AM]
Old 18 July 2002, 10:22 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

No probs simon. Hope it was nothing more sinister than the emissions thing.