Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY01

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2001, 04:45 PM
mike@bucket.org
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if a new car has some sort of "running in" map on the ECU, which is replaced at the first service? The reason being, I opened mine up with just under 1k on the clock, and I am very disappointed in what followed. I've just got out of an Audi A4 1.8T, and I can't say the Subaru has any more power. In fact, my other half, who knows bugger all about cars, says the Audi was quicker. Having previously owned a 200bhp car, the scooby is well down on power as things stand Something is not right.
Old 04 June 2001, 04:55 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mike,
I was having this very conversation with Pete from Scoobysport last week. Apparently there is nothing that specifically restricts power in the new ECU, however, it is intelligent in that it can adjust for driving style, fuel quality, air temperature and air density. Allied to the fact that it seems to take between 3500 and 5000 to get them fully run in it may just be that it needs to adjust itself!

Pete - did I miss anything here?
Old 04 June 2001, 05:06 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

I am running it on SUL and have done since I picked it up. For a car listed as just short of 220bhp, it is not even close to 200 as things stand. Even a new engine which is tight should put in a resonable performance, however I've only put my foot down once.
I'll see how the 1st service goes on Saturday, thrash it a bit and see what follows.
Old 04 June 2001, 05:22 PM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Mike...

Comming from a 7 year old Legacy Turbo (200bhp), I had the same feeling in the beginning, but now i'm feeling the difference... actually, the MY01 is so confortable it doesn't feel that quick, but as you start to better feel the car, it just keeps improving. I also think that the ECU improves with age. Have had it for 3 weeks, and 1.6k, it's getting better by the day. Powering your way out of roundabouts (sideways) is one of the best feeling (Yes, I do it on porpuse, just for fun ).
Old 04 June 2001, 05:56 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with the running in comment - I've felt a significant difference before & after driving to the Alps and back (6K now). Although that could be the ECU adjusting to full-throttle behaviour (Ah - that's what French toll booths are for)

Plus you need to adjust your driving style a bit (change down to keep the revs up in corners) to keep the turbo spinning - the pickup from out-of-boost is comparatively poor - presumably due to the relatively low compression ratio of turbo cars (AFAIK, Audi's are still high-compression due to having a light-pressure turbo), allied to gearing that would be too high for a 2.0 non-turbo. It's not true lag, it just behaves as if it's a bit peaky.

After this weekend I can think of at least one Vectra driver near Harrogate who would not call Scoobs slow! :-)

Old 04 June 2001, 05:59 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

It will improve. Mine was as tight as hell in the beginning, but started to loosen up nicely as the miles racked up. I sold mine with 2600 miles on the clock: I reckon with 5000 miles gone it should be great.
Old 04 June 2001, 06:14 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Its not only restricted to the MY01. My old MY00 felt like 150 bhp new, but after 3000 miles it felt more like 215bhp. These baby need some serious right foot to loosen up.

Jonathan
Old 04 June 2001, 06:20 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Found far better performance after 10k.

Was not too happy up untill about then.

Could find no real reason for this, coming up to 14k and things are a lot better.

All the best,

John Catlin

, ,
Old 04 June 2001, 06:24 PM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Talking

Guys, you are a nuisance for my wallet and free time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now my other half is gonna complain that I wanna make 1k every weekend . Portugal isnt' that huge you know ?