New Member in Suffolk

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2023, 12:30 PM
chrisyboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member in Suffolk

Hi All

I thought I would just introduce myself, I am a new member and totally new to Subaru's. I have had Honda's in the past and am into old skool fords but by chance had he opportunity to buy a classic Subaru Impreza 2000 AWD Turbo. The car is a project, I got it about a month ago, the car had been off the road for a year. After some minor jobs, wipers, bulbs, rebuilding the drivers side front brake, she is now back on the road and all road legal. I am massivily impressed with the performace, she flys and the noise incredible, she does have the Prodrive performance pack. I have not driven far yet, but there is a list of things to do. the drivers side front cam cover is leaking and smokes, the handbrake doesnt seem to work very well, gearbox crunches a bit into 5th gear and suspension seems a bit tired. I replaced the drive belt and managed to inspect the cambelt which seems in good shape but I want to replace it as have no history for it. I know its going to be a big job and I am very anxious about doing it as i know seized bolts will be an issue (every bolt so far is either seized or rounded.)

The underside of the car seems solid but rear arches are going and there is rust on lip of windscreen, I want to get this done when the budget allows, I may even have a go myself.

I have uploaded some pics below and will keep everyone updated on the progress :-)

Last edited by chrisyboy; 24 April 2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 24 April 2023, 08:52 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Wellcome to the fold , nice car 👍
Old 24 April 2023, 10:10 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Hello and welcome. Take all the boot carpet out and inspect suspension turrets, rear arches go from inside out. For new shock absorbers KYB excel g’s are the equivalent of a stock replacement shock, slightly firmer than a standard shock to compensate for weakening of spring.
cam cover gasket is common for weeping as heat soak from exhaust manifold gets to them over time. For this and many other parts (cambelt etc) try Alyn aka stockcar on here (AS performance) as can source most parts and prices are competitive. He is also a font of knowledge and very helpful.

Also, cautionary advice on the rust around the windscreen. I had autoglass out a few months back and was told by the fitter that if he takes the windscreen out and finds rust on the windscreen aperture he wouldn’t be able to put a new screen back in it and he had this on an Impreza the week before fitting my screen.

edit: I am pretty sure that my owners manual (03 blobeye) says to select 5th gear at 127mph so I wouldn’t worry too much you shouldn’t need 5th gear 😆

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 24 April 2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old 24 April 2023, 11:09 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Welcome to the club, nice to find one with the factor PPP kit fit.

Trying to workout if its paint code 52D or 95H.

Yes get those rear turrets checked out, i bought an Impreza and it was rough up there.
Old 25 April 2023, 10:26 AM
chrisyboy
Scooby Newbie

Thank You 👍
Old 25 April 2023, 10:28 AM
chrisyboy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Welcome to the club, nice to find one with the factor PPP kit fit.

Trying to workout if its paint code 52D or 95H.

Yes get those rear turrets checked out, i bought an Impreza and it was rough up there.
Thank you paint code is 95H, had a look this morning as need to do some touching up on the paint

Have checked inside boot and looked at turrets, all is very solid thankfully
Old 25 April 2023, 10:31 AM
chrisyboy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Hello and welcome. Take all the boot carpet out and inspect suspension turrets, rear arches go from inside out. For new shock absorbers KYB excel g’s are the equivalent of a stock replacement shock, slightly firmer than a standard shock to compensate for weakening of spring.
cam cover gasket is common for weeping as heat soak from exhaust manifold gets to them over time. For this and many other parts (cambelt etc) try Alyn aka stockcar on here (AS performance) as can source most parts and prices are competitive. He is also a font of knowledge and very helpful.

Also, cautionary advice on the rust around the windscreen. I had autoglass out a few months back and was told by the fitter that if he takes the windscreen out and finds rust on the windscreen aperture he wouldn’t be able to put a new screen back in it and he had this on an Impreza the week before fitting my screen.

edit: I am pretty sure that my owners manual (03 blobeye) says to select 5th gear at 127mph so I wouldn’t worry too much you shouldn’t need 5th gear 😆
Thank you very much for all the info, luckily not rot inside from what I can see, all seems very solid apart from a puddle in the spare wheel well, think the boot seal is worn or coming through the rear lights but they seem to be siliconed up.

Thanks for the heads up on coilovers, will look into that today!

Not sure about windscreen, may try to pick away at the rust and see how bad it is
Old 27 April 2023, 02:12 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

It's not in the boot you need to check, inside the boot was spotless on mine, but underneath was rotten, both rear strut turrets and sills including some of the floor pan.

I won't scare you with pictures, but look at top of arches, above your wheel.

Put gloves on and put your hand to the top of the strut, there will be rust up there, it's just how bad it is.

Originally Posted by chrisyboy
Thank you paint code is 95H, had a look this morning as need to do some touching up on the paint

Have checked inside boot and looked at turrets, all is very solid thankfully