Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell as Project or Fix and Sell?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2023, 08:32 AM
macphegf
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sell as Project or Fix and Sell?

Hi, after 11 years of ownership I think it's time to sell, as I need the space in the garage and the car has been in there for 4 years. Main question is whether to sell it as is, and what it may be worth, or fix it, MOT and sell. I stopped driving it as I got a lease car and I didn't need to sell it for a deposit, had been planning on keeping it long term, but realistically, I know I'll not be able to justify the money to keep it on the road as a third car! If anyone is interested as is, I can get it out the garage and post some pictures, it would need collected on a trailer though).

2004 Blobeye WRX SL Silver with 90k (ish) miles (Location - Glasgow, Scotland)
Totally standard except for the previously reconditioned alloy wheels are not the standard shade of silver and it has a CAT back stainless system, not too loud.
Bodywork generally in good condition, a few minor scratches and dents and chips in the front bumper.
Pretty much full service history, I'd need to double check receipts, but oil changed regularly while in use - think the timing belt will be overdue now though due to being garaged for 4 years.
Same owner last 11 years, 2 previous owners.
Brakes are partially seized and need replaced all round (I can get it out of the garage, but I wouldn't want to drive it on the roads).
Some rust behind drivers side front wheel arch where a previous owner attached a mud flap badly. some very minor rust on the inside of some other wheel arches.
Permanently connected to trickle charger and starts instantly first time, every time.

So what's it likely to be worth as is vs brakes and rust fixed and MOT'd? I can't really be bothered with the hassle of fixing it and having owned it for so long, it doesn't really owe me much. That being said, I'm not giving it away!

Thanks for reading!
The following users liked this post:
Old 04 January 2023, 10:54 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

rear sills will be shot to i think,1.5 to 2k job for front and sills if are rusty than brakes and hassle with sale for maybe 5-6k
not sure about recent prices but i would not pay 500 for wrx

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 04 January 2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04 January 2023, 11:26 AM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the car was mot n sorted for sale would prob be worth maybe £6000-6500 on todays crazy prices !??
Old 04 January 2023, 05:52 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of the car prices are crazy depending what your looking for , depends what model of Subaru your selling, am in Glasgow aswell same sort of story had my bugeye sti type UK for about 15 years garaged for 10 then went down the restoration route, car had zero rust ,god knows how many thousands I've spent ,fully stripped the underneath replaced every nut and bolt for genuine items , new suspension,brakes,bushes,tyres, full service,timing belt kit steering rack,every hose,full Aircon kit,wheels,fuel tank+pump,widetrack rear bumper and lights, full respray, only did 1300miles since it's mot, think it's done 65,900 miles now exactly the same don't use it and it's taking my garage space up ,

think I might try in the summer put it up for sale , be interested how you get on ,if you need any help give me a shout mate

Last edited by welder029; 08 January 2023 at 10:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by welder029:
Old 04 January 2023, 09:38 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I might be wrong, but I think that unless you are doing the work yourself, there’s little point in doing a restoration to sell. I think labour and parts costs would be more than the difference in price, surely? Especially if it’s only a wrx (I say that as a wrx owner).

also consider that we are heading into really crappy economic times, so do you want to risk paying out for welding etc, which takes time to organise, and then find that the market went against you in that time?

The following 2 users liked this post by Henrik: