What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2011, 05:32 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Hi Guys!

Ive owned my type r wrc-limited for about 3yrs, and now im at stage in my life where, the esential costs of living are paramount to running my scooby as a second vehicle. Im not in a position where i need to sell up because i really need the money, but at the moment, i can no longer afford to run the car just for pleasure purposes.
In the time ive owned the car, its been my pride and joy, ive washed and polished it to death, its wanted for absolutley nothing, down to the smallest nuts and bolts, ive spent lots on tuning it up, with a full engine rebuild and remap at api, turbo and injectors ect from harvey and serviced regularly with the best products.
I do have the use of a garage where the car has always been kept and can stay in the future if need be.
i just cant make up my mind wether to sell up or not, i know il regret it if i sell up but on the other had cant see the point in having it sat in a garage doing nothing, which probably wont do it any favours, also the longer it stays in the garage the more it depreciates.

so what would you do? keep it tucked away for rainy day or cut your losses and sell up.

Thanks
Old 10 October 2011, 05:40 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save it for a rainy day-you'll always regret it and as you don't need the money,apart from spending the cash on something you probably won't need,you'll never get the money that you've ploughed into getting yours perfect!
You know it makes sense,so don't sell!
Old 10 October 2011, 05:52 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply!

i know il never get back the money and hard work ive put into this car and with the way things are with the car market at the mo, to make a sale i'd have to be realistic with my pricing which makes it even harder to part with. i pulled it out of the garage the other week and took one look at it and thought i just cant bare to sell up!
Old 10 October 2011, 05:55 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't sell either.I can't afford to run mine,but the way I look at it is as long as you can manage to get the car you want in the first place,just don't use it all the time.
About 7 months ago I sold my Evo that I'd had for 5 years.It spent a lot of time on the drive because it was so harsh on fuel.
I thought it was time to part ex it for an e46 BMW because I fancied something newer that was better on fuel.
I instantly regretted it and was a miserable sod for 6 weeks until I decided to go back to an import.
I went back with it and the type r had just arrived there and was being polished.That was it.
You know you'll miss it.

Danny.
Old 10 October 2011, 06:03 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

i know il miss it, and the thought of driving around in my renault kangoo van makes me cringe, but at the moment i cant afford to insure, tax, mot and service it
Old 10 October 2011, 06:03 PM
the hamster
BANNED

I know exactly where youre coming from mate and i'm in the same position at the moment.

I run my own business and times are hard right now. I fit tv aerials and sky stuff but my work car is waaaay past replacement and income is slow at the moment. I've always had a 2nd car as a toy and cherished it to death like you have but I look outside at it and think "I could do a lot with that ££".

I have about 2 weeks for things to pick up before i'm going to have to make a decision and it guts me as i've put so much into the car in the short time ive had it.
Old 10 October 2011, 06:24 PM
jh1-2009
Scooby Regular

I arranged to view an audi a3 tdi last sunday. Got half way and turned around lol. Phoned the guy and told him i decided to keep my scoob. I,ve sold many cars before but the scoob would be painfull.
Old 10 October 2011, 06:25 PM
craigfturbo2000
Scooby Regular

It seems many of us feel the same! I just cant afford the service yet, but i will not sell her, i refuse point blank to go back to a normal ride only, the way people will not pull up next to you at the lights for the fear of gettin shredded, they will not even look across!!!!! I drive my fiesta an feel like im gettin bullied, bein snarled at by the white collar junior sales joey, audi company car, Bell ends! Grr

Dont do it!!

PS Didnt see the previous post on the audi, glad u didnt go there!!!

Last edited by craigfturbo2000; 10 October 2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Post popped up as i posted, the chances of that!!
Old 11 October 2011, 11:26 AM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same position mate- I have a P1 that now hasn't seen the road for a year, and won't be back out until next summer now.

I was off ill from work for 9 months and as I had only been in the job 9 months I didn't get sick pay. This just meant I had to struggle on and the P1 didn't go on the road.
I have a garage where I store it anyway but there was never one single thought in my mind to sell- I would miss it too much!

Don't sell up- keep it stored the correct way and enjoy it when you can afford to put it on the road
Old 11 October 2011, 11:37 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can afford to keep it then do so mate. I have just bought a version 6 type r WRC like yours as they are one of the rarest model classics and IMHO the best classic model bar the 22b. I bought mine as i really don't think they are going to depreciate much further, give it 5 years and I reckon it will start increasing with the demise of the **** examples and potential classic status. The strong will survive!

Oh and I am in the same position, type r is tucked away SORN until hopefully the spring, diesel golf does me well for the time being. I keep the battery on trickle charge and run it every week or so to keep the oils flowing

Paul
Old 11 October 2011, 12:58 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Well thanks for all the replys, and it seems most people think not to sell up, my car is currently in my garage,uninsured and sorn'd and thats where it will stay untill next summer i think,or atleast untill i can afford to run it, is there any do's and dont's when storing a car?, i dont have power to my garage so leaving the battery on trickle charge is a bit of a pain, and also my garage is not very water tight, this is due to our next door neighbours building an extension within a foot of my garage, during winter months some standing water forms under the car, and the leaking asbestos roof is not the best either, is it wise to start the car and leave to idle for 15mins or so, every few weeks.

Thanks
Old 11 October 2011, 02:09 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make very sure that no one can get at and steal your car and BE VERY careful what pics you have on profiles etc as these damn chav thieves can figure stuff out and someone will find a way to locate & nick your uninsured car.

Good Luck Tristan, keep the car.

David APi
Old 11 October 2011, 02:23 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

Not saying this is a definitive guide but my P1 has been stored for 4-5 months over winter for 11 years now and is still looking and going well.....

Pump up the tyres to 40psi so as not to flat spot them

Start the car and leave to run for 15 minutes every 1-2 weeks

Give it a full tank before putting it away to keep it wet

Give it a damn good wash before too! Lol.

If you have an asbestos roof I would buy an OUTDOOR car cover (£50 Halfords job will be fine) to protect the paint from staining when the moisture comes through the roof.
In my old garage I actually put up long sheets of bubble wrap on the roof to stop water AND a car cover.....due to an asbestos roof....

I normally have it on a trickle charger but if you stick to your weekly start up then you might be ok- have one on hand though incase it does run the battery flat

Finally- give it some mechanical sypmathy when you take it back out, it has been idle for a while so parts need to break back in. Plus the fuel in the tank will have gone off so a full tank on no to low boost beds back in the mechanical parts softly and gets rid of the old crap fuel.

I also normally get a service once it is back on the road, I only cover 2-3k miles a year if I'm lucky normally so this is when I do my annual services (IMO enough for the use the car gets before someone tells me it should be done every 6 months! Lol)

Best of luck with it- and you know you are making the right decision!!
Old 11 October 2011, 04:42 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW although it maybe sorn get 'laid up' insurance, just in case the pikeys come sniffing
Old 11 October 2011, 06:58 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Well ive bought a cheap outdoor car cover off ebay, and taken the battery off as it was flat, next il give it a clean and put the cover on, im going to give my garage a bit of attention, by trying to make it water tight, ready for winter, il leave it there untill spring/summer then see how i feel about driving it then.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated