Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2010, 06:34 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP!!

hi i live in harlow and people keep trying to nik my car, the wheels etc
getting a garage from the council soon but what can i do to keep it safe until then?? i have a wheel lock a toad immobiliser and dead lock wheel nuts..
trying to sell it gonna post on here soon the details but if people keep wrecking it ill get peanuts

thanks
Old 29 January 2010, 06:45 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Not ideal, but is there another address you could leave it at
Old 29 January 2010, 06:49 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

erm ... move?

There are other security / protection devices and solutions available but to be fair, you've done about as much as you can do without spending quite a bit more money which isn't worth doing if you're gonna sell the car. You're only other option (to me anyway) is to find somewhere else to park it - there aren't any patrolled car parks I can think of but the ncp ones at least have surveillance cameras ... doubt that would be enough to put the toerags off round there though
Old 29 January 2010, 07:02 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they want to take it or from it they unfortunately will. IMO the best bet would be to store the car somewhere that's a bit safer while you wait to sell. Any family with a bit of space?
Old 29 January 2010, 07:06 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Can only agree Matt, if it is wanted it will go eventually.

Always reminds me of a story I heard about a TVR owner. He had loads of security devices alarm immobilisor, disclock etc etc.

One morning went to his car all security had been removed from car and left on the seat with a note - If we want it we will take it.

But a horrible situation to be in, alternative place has got to be the short term answer if possible.
Old 29 January 2010, 07:15 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V6GOLF_DC
Can only agree Matt, if it is wanted it will go eventually.

Always reminds me of a story I heard about a TVR owner. He had loads of security devices alarm immobilisor, disclock etc etc.

One morning went to his car all security had been removed from car and left on the seat with a note - If we want it we will take it.

But a horrible situation to be in, alternative place has got to be the short term answer if possible.

A lot of the time now they just pick them up and put them on a low loaer. A mates sister had hers taken like this. CCTV showed that the lowloader used was made to look like an AA truck!
Old 29 January 2010, 07:23 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Disconnect the crank sensor, put loads of copper grease on the nuts to deter and aid finger printing should you need it. Let down a tyre over night (if you have a speed inflator) Turn the radio right up when you get out for noise should it get primed without your knowledge. Plenty you can do to slow the inevitable but I would be parking it up somewhere tidy until sold or just accept people are fookin horrible and life's a gamble ? Harlow is **** though to be fair.
Old 29 January 2010, 08:31 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

grim situation to be in.

i would sell it and not bother with the stress to be honest.

or as said, maybe get a daily runner and store the car a bit further afield for weekends etc.

nowt much else you can do sadly
Old 29 January 2010, 08:47 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Disconnect the crank sensor, put loads of copper grease on the nuts to deter and aid finger printing should you need it. Let down a tyre over night (if you have a speed inflator) Turn the radio right up when you get out for noise should it get primed without your knowledge. Plenty you can do to slow the inevitable but I would be parking it up somewhere tidy until sold or just accept people are fookin horrible and life's a gamble ? Harlow is **** though to be fair.

great advice but too much hassle with a newborn and a 3 1/12 year old lol
gonna sell it asap will be listing on here soon wouldve kept it for as long as i could but with all this its too much stress. hoping to move out of harlow asap too. too many sticky fingers

thanks everyone for your help
Old 29 January 2010, 10:35 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

good luck and dont be a stranger
Old 29 January 2010, 11:04 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

steffi - i assumed from your first post that you were intending to sell it asap but, IF you wanted to keep it for a bit ....

- snap-off steering wheel : it'll deter most of the harlow iq50's looking for an easy joy-ride. There's no doubt a few guys on here with them that could advise which one to go for.

- security film : see through film that's applied to the car windows to make them extremely difficult to smash with bricks etc. Cost will vary depending on where you go.
Pentagon UK: Car window Supaglass, security film - toughened vehicle safety glass. SupaGlass enhancing the safety and security of vehicle glass. - to give you an idea
Old 29 January 2010, 11:47 PM
Scooby Senior

Easy peasy snap off wheels....one of my fav mods so far!

Can be done for under a £100 with a momo boss on early classics... Can advise on parts and fitment if you need it.

Old 30 January 2010, 05:54 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

wow ill consider those for anything else i get. theyre great lolz. wish i knew bout them when i first got the scoob

thanks for your help guys it much appreciated
Old 02 February 2010, 10:49 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
I'll have you know ive lived in Harlow for over 5 years. and have had no trouble with my car....Yet.

Every Town has its bad areas and nice areas.

Havent worked out basildons yet though.
Old 02 February 2010, 11:11 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

si
a) you're a scarey ****
b) your car prob isn't parked in the road etc....
c) you're a scarey ****

3 points well made i feel
Old 02 February 2010, 11:29 PM
Scooby Senior

4. It's not a sexy classic
Old 03 February 2010, 09:31 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simon57
I'll have you know ive lived in Harlow for over 5 years. and have had no trouble with my car....Yet.

Every Town has its bad areas and nice areas.

Havent worked out basildons yet though.
Basildon's not too bad. It has it's off parts as does everywhere. I can think of some pretty rough parts of Chelmsford, Colchester and Southend. It's Pitsea and Vange that were/are the problem. They were once, maybe still, the car theft and drug capitals of Essex
Old 03 February 2010, 09:56 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Pitsea mount is nice though..... nearly moved there back in the day !!
Old 03 February 2010, 10:38 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
Pitsea mount is nice though..... nearly moved there back in the day !!
Yup. Quite expensive as well. Some big houses up there.
Old 03 February 2010, 02:04 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
si
a) you're a scarey ****
b) your car prob isn't parked in the road etc....
c) you're a scarey ****

3 points well made i feel

too funny. i think i can be a scary ****

its really annoying cos where we are we have to park on the main road. getting a garage soon but my other half thinks unless he re-inforces it thats worse as its further away from our home and we wont hear if sommeone tries it. just hoping to sell it. apparently its the worst time to sell cars as its winter and they go cheap, but another post said scoobys are going for more recently? its a type ra too so hopefully its fetch enough for the new 7 seater. bloody kids and animals .
we'll get another when all have left the nest. (that's me by that time) haha
Old 03 February 2010, 02:09 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

good luck steffi, i saw the result of a "block garaged" scooby last year / maybe the year before.
The ****ers broke in and dented every single panel on it

You're best shot for the time being, but nothing is forever and i'm sure when the situation changes/betters you'll be back in Scoobyville.

Still no excuse not to come to any meets - see the influx of RS's for examples !!!

Dazza
Old 03 February 2010, 02:38 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steffi4
too funny. i think i can be a scary ****

its really annoying cos where we are we have to park on the main road. getting a garage soon but my other half thinks unless he re-inforces it thats worse as its further away from our home and we wont hear if sommeone tries it. just hoping to sell it. apparently its the worst time to sell cars as its winter and they go cheap, but another post said scoobys are going for more recently? its a type ra too so hopefully its fetch enough for the new 7 seater. bloody kids and animals .
we'll get another when all have left the nest. (that's me by that time) haha
I still miss my type ra. The prices do seem to be a little stronger at the moment. I paid £3k for my 97 sti in white 6 months ago. Hardly see any white ones available now and similar cars are going for around £4k now. Perhaps I should sell and buy something else.

What's the spec and any pics? I could be tempted back into an RA
Old 03 February 2010, 04:10 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

4k?? thats good. we've been through 3 cars in a year and a half due to growing fammily lol should have stuck with my first car the mg zs i loved that car other half made us sell it as he thought it was too small but it was bigger than the ra we have now. would never go with a range rover again due to problems and the fact i really hated driving it. too slow and heavy as ive only been driving a year and a bit and need something fun haha. ive got to get it together and get it listed here and was thinking on ebay too. my other half knows more about it and i dont wanna make any mistakes on the listing so trying to get his ar*e in gear. i know its a 97/98 import, its had a few things done to it like decors and things. we changed the front lights and grills. we were gonna do so much to it but new baby came along and ate all the money haha. be really sad to see it go but hey i will be back in the future. in the mean time ill be going to the events showing off my 7 seater woop woop.haha. ill get to the southend run about 4 days after you guys haha. does anyone know any good 7 seaters that are mid sized, not as big as galaxy size but not too small either. i want someting that isnt going to feel like driving a house, but im sure everything will after the scoob. mneame, it should be listed asap so keep an eye out. where abouts are you as you might have seen me if your local. ill try to upload some pics tonight
thanks guys
Old 03 February 2010, 06:13 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

simons car couldnt be on show anymore if he tryed lol

on a busy road

i have never had any probs either, i am tucked away in a coldasack. hehe

shame to hear it tho steffi

darc
Old 03 February 2010, 06:29 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

having said that has si got new fog light covers????