Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk rear backing plates - big job!

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2022, 03:34 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Hawk rear backing plates - big job!

Hi all,

2007 STi.
Ok, this all started when I got new rear discs, and when I tried to fit them I realised just how bad my handbrake shoe backing plates were - both of them.
Totally shot, no way they could be bashed back. The handbrake has given me issues for 2 or 3 years on and off. The backing plates were so rotten (I mean rotten) and holed, and not just the dust guard bit either, the actual handbrake shoe holder plates. No choice, they were beyond toast. I should've taken some photo's, they would've been the worst you'd ever seen....by a long way.

So new plates from ICP. But...to get new backing plates on is hubs off.
Then not surprisingly the long lateral arms bolt sheared on the hub end....both sides!
The bolts ended up being cut, and made more sense to fit 4 second hand (very good condition) lateral arms instead of replacing my bushes.
ABS sensors were replaced as they didn't want to come out easily either.

The amount of corrosion and rust back there had caused so many problems, but I was under no illusion of anything else. No lube from the factory anywhere etc etc.

Parts :
2 new backing plates.
2 new wheel bearings
2 new ABS sensors
New handbrake shoe assembly both sides - my old ones were de-laminating
Handbrake shoe fitting kit.
4 used lateral arms.
2 lateral arm bolts.
Lastly, 4 wheel alignment.

I don't envy Stewart from TFS Racing in Aldershot for taking this job on, but he's done a fantastic job. A very good back end refresh, and probably 5 years overdue.
Old 21 May 2022, 06:22 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Horrible job. I’m in the middle of this myself, and it’s by far the worst job I’ve done on the car so far.

I’d rather take the engine and gearbox out again than doing anything with those lateral link bolts and the rear hubs 🙀
Old 21 May 2022, 08:08 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
Horrible job. I’m in the middle of this myself, and it’s by far the worst job I’ve done on the car so far.

I’d rather take the engine and gearbox out again than doing anything with those lateral link bolts and the rear hubs 🙀
Best of luck to you Henrik, as soon as I saw the plates and what was involved, I quickly put the discs back on and walked away!

Is it your handbrake shoe plates you're needing to replace?

Old 22 May 2022, 06:46 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Best of luck to you Henrik, as soon as I saw the plates and what was involved, I quickly put the discs back on and walked away!

Is it your handbrake shoe plates you're needing to replace?
Tbh I started taking it apart to change the bushes etc and painting and rust proofing the link arms, subframe etc, but when I saw how rusty the uprights and backing plates were they had to come apart too for some treatment
Old 31 May 2022, 02:47 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Horror story !

I was bringing my classic back to perfect mechanicals 5 years ago and I bought all four new disc backing plates from Subaru. The dealer actually talked me out of having them fitted, even though the car was in for a major service. Basically they said to budget for new wheel bearings on anything over 10/15 years old, and that I could live without them, sir.