Sponsored by:

New keeper hasn’t paid tax or sent off slip

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2022, 10:17 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New keeper hasn’t paid tax or sent off slip

I sold my car nearly 2 years ago - to a guy off here (no names yet) and I was getting tax reminders for ages - but I didn’t have log book to cancel it or sorn it (stupidly sent the whole thing with the sale) the new guy didn’t chance owner or tax it, and says he sold it on. Now I’m getting bailiff letters through the door.

What should I do?
Old 08 February 2022, 10:56 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Provide proof of sale, tell them to **** off, in that order.
Old 08 February 2022, 11:06 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Haha thanks; I’ve just got in contact with the new new owner (the guy had since re sold it) and hopefully he will fill in a sorn for it. Just begs the question who is liable for the tax owed ? Even if it is declared sorn today can it be claimed to have been sorned for a year say?
Old 08 February 2022, 11:21 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
Haha thanks; I’ve just got in contact with the new new owner (the guy had since re sold it) and hopefully he will fill in a sorn for it. Just begs the question who is liable for the tax owed ? Even if it is declared sorn today can it be claimed to have been sorned for a year say?
You'd only be liable up to the date of sale and new owner will be liable from date of purchase. If you/he has no genuine proof of purchase/sale that person will be held liable. The person in the middle will be liable if both are proven and genuine and he can be found.
Baliifs are ***** the majority of the time but they can't enforce a debt if you have proof it's not yours and they don't have proof it is. Hell I've got out of debts I knew were mine because they couldn't prove it but that's another story lol. Worst anyone can say is why didn't you send off the yellow slip (or green, whichever part it is) to the dvla at which your reply is I did but you know covid, maybe its on backlog or lost etc but I most certainly sent it and so on.

You still have a scooby then? I see your in Lytham, I'm in Blackpool
Old 08 February 2022, 12:29 PM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

That’s why when you sell a car it is the seller who sends off the V5 and not the new keeper. That way, it ensures that the V5 gets sent off and prevents this from happening.

The easiest way now though, is to complete the DVLA V5 transfer online at point of sale. That way both parties are responsible and the info is provided straight away. It’s arguably quicker too and only takes 2 mins to complete.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08 February 2022, 12:44 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Awesome thanks for the info - hopefully he sends off the sorn and they stop pecking me - I’ve told them (the debt collection service for a whopping £80 tax) I sold the car 2 years ago so I am not liable for it.

yeh I’m still in lytham .. unfortunately a few years ago I had a bad financial year and had to sell the scoob and my tts to make ends meet. On the way back up now so probs will be in the market for a scoob in a few years!
Old 08 February 2022, 03:27 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

The DVLA may impose a fine of up to £1000 for not declaring the sale of a car.
You may not be liable for paying the outstanding tax but the law is very clear that it is the sellers responsibility to declare the sale of the car.
If it was me, I'd be contacting the DVLA and eating lots of humble pie in the hope they decide not to fine.
Old 08 February 2022, 04:14 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Awesome thanks for the info - hopefully he sends off the sorn and they stop pecking me - I’ve told them (the debt collection service for a whopping £80 tax) I sold the car 2 years ago so I am not liable for it.

yeh I’m still in lytham .. unfortunately a few years ago I had a bad financial year and had to sell the scoob and my tts to make ends meet. On the way back up now so probs will be in the market for a scoob in a few years!
Blue newage near Tesco on St David's by any chance? Tried to buy it but it was sold before I got chance to view it.

Originally Posted by adam.pah
The DVLA may impose a fine of up to £1000 for not declaring the sale of a car.
You may not be liable for paying the outstanding tax but the law is very clear that it is the sellers responsibility to declare the sale of the car.
If it was me, I'd be contacting the DVLA and eating lots of humble pie in the hope they decide not to fine.
In such a situation never admit fault off the bat, be humble yes but don't be saying it's your fault, don't want them to be seeing pound signs now do you, admit fault and they are more likely to make you pay
Old 08 February 2022, 04:36 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

if you know who it is simply contact them...........
Old 09 February 2022, 08:55 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

The DVLA are very much computer says “no” as i’ve found out twice , you can contact them on line , so i’m assuming you have a dated bill of sale , send that copy into them and explain the circumstances , they maybe difficult as you did not fill out the v5 part and say the bill £ lands with you , provide to them who you sold it too and who has it now , i would suggest some pressure gets put on who you sold it too and who has it now to contact the dvla saying yes i bought it on this date , the reality is your legs were done by the next two owners not doing their part , but the dvla may say “ well you did not fill out the v5 “ , with bailiffs always engage with them and the dvla as they are more likely to call off any visits , visits can can be very expensive as they can seize your other assets ie cars and are often very unsympathetic so costs go up and up very quickly , a dvla 500£ bill for car tax can easily become 550 £ upwards , added to the original bill for car tax , they can fine you or new keepers 1000 £ for not registering the car but it’s very unlikely from what i’ve been told , in simple engage with bailiffs and dvla via email asap 👍
Old 12 February 2022, 12:07 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

No, you can’t back date sorn I tried it once and had to pay a month that had lapsed even though the vehicle (motorbike) was off the road.

I wouldn’t go to the dvla saying that you posted the logbook and it must have got lost in the post, as someone previously suggested. If the new new keeper has the logbook from the previous owner that didn’t sign it in his name they will smell a rat and suggest you are talking bo!!ocks and must have sold it to him as your name is the previous keeper on the logbook.
if you claim it was lost in post how would the new keeper have it?
Old 12 February 2022, 12:16 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

It might be worth going on the gov mot history website and getting details of where it has been mot’d since it left your ownership, maybe contact the garage and explain the problem and hope they are willing to give you the name and address of the person that bought the car from you.
Old 12 February 2022, 09:26 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
, as someone previously suggested,
It was me, it was me that suggested it....

​​​​​and it works, anyone can apply for a replacement v5, that's your answer to the new owner having it if he does.
Old 12 February 2022, 09:58 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRtm
It was me, it was me that suggested it....

​​​​​and it works, anyone can apply for a replacement v5, that's your answer to the new owner having it if he does.
fair enough but if they check that someone’s applied for a new v5?

the ‘how would the new keeper have it’ was rhetorical. If you tell them you sent it but lost in post but the new keeper has it and they check to see if anyone has applied for a new v5 for the car their records will show that no one has done so.

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 12 February 2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12 February 2022, 11:03 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

as a current keeper you can apply for a new v5 , change of address etc , if some one other than the current keeper asks for a new v5 the dvla will contact the current keeper of the car , namely you ( assuming you have not moved ) , if you ask for a new v5 it’s sounding like did you actually sell it , are you trying to pull the wool over our (dvla) eyes , here have the fine it must be you as the keeper all along , as above contact the dvla see what they want from you or want you to do , explain the issues you have and see what they say , and pass on any details you do have about who you sold it too , ie phone numbers etc , to the dvla 👍