Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fine for no tax on previously owned car

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2008, 12:32 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine for no tax on previously owned car

I have recieved a fine for no tax for a car I sold 5 months ago, so I called round the persons house who bought the car, and they still havent taxed the car, and they havent recieved the log book

Now they said they would call round today and give me the money for the fine (40 + 30 unpaid tax) but they havent turned up (and to be honest I ddint really expect them to)

So what can I do? tell them as I am still the registered keeper, that I will report it stolen , or tell them ive scrapped it, so they will never be able to use it legally on the road again, tell them I have a spare key and will be taking the car back ? or just tell them Ive notified the DVLA and requested the car be collected and crushed

I know I am going to have to pay the fine, but I want them to suffer now, if I tell the DVLA I have SORN'd the car and pay the fine, and dont tell them the new owners details will I still be liable if the car is driven?

Any ideas SN massive, I need a revenge plan
Old 24 March 2008, 12:40 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

All you need to do is inform the dvla of when you sold it and who too and say you sent the log book off. No need to pay any fine and the new owner should have to pay it.

As for revenge, put some spuds up the exhaust.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:18 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

This is just the reason that whenever I sold a car I always wrote to the DVLA telling them.(in addition to sending the V5 bit)
I always received acknowledgement back, too

But I'd do what ScoobyWon't says.
Shouldn't have a problem.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:34 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

The DVLA notice does say that unless I have that letter of acknowledment then am still liable for the fine

Sadly I never took a copy of the receipt I gave them for the sale of the car, so I dont really have proof that I did sell it to them, more specifically when I sold it to them

I do know it was back in October last year, and the tax ran out in december, and they told me yesterday that they havent used the car because they havent recieved the log book so couldnt tax it

A bit of a likely story for them not to have used the car for 3 months, when I sold them the car I gave them the new owner slip so they could tax the car, and that is valid for two months, plus they could have always got a V62 to declare they were the new owners and got Tax that way or SORN'd the car

If i had the spare key it would be locked up in a friends garage by now
Old 24 March 2008, 10:02 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

DO NOT PAY THE FINE.

Write to dvla explaining it all and there is a 99.9% chance they will drop it.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:23 AM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Sonic you didn't say but i'm assuming that you sent off your portion of the V5? As i'm in the other position, the guy i sold the car too didn't send his portion of the V5 off, i sorn'd the car in december (it is a 25 gti bought as a winter project) but it was rejected due to the fact that the car wasn't in my name. 3 Months later i'm still waiting for the DVLA so sort it out after sending my V5 slip off. Which after thinking about it was the last legal proof the car is mine (bugger)

Now you've got me worried that i'll get the fine now lol.
Old 24 March 2008, 11:14 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
DO NOT PAY THE FINE.

Not in my case... The RS4 was exported and hence appeared untaxed - I explained this to them. They said that hadnt aknowledged receipt of the sellers V5 slip so it was tough.

Every day I love you more and more DVLA - esp the way you allow convicted crooks access to our personal details for a fee.

D
Old 24 March 2008, 11:17 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I had this recently when I crashed my RA I sent all my V5 to the insurers who still haven't officially scrapped the car via a yard, so the V5 is still not registered, I had the letter saying the car was not taxed etc, I filled in their form explaining what happened and they wrote back confirming no further action to me was going to be taken.

Just write to them they are usually pretty good as these letters are automated in my experiance.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:22 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Well bu66er me, she has just been round and dropped off the 70 quid for the fine and back tax

So I think I will phone the DVLA on tuesday pay the fine, and then send off the form that came with it and declare SORN etc
Old 24 March 2008, 01:31 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Keep the £70 and tell the DVLA that you sold the car
Old 24 March 2008, 01:36 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Don't pay without appealing it.

I had the same recently and it took 9 months for them to drop it, but they did after a few letters.

Write expalining your position and request an appeal - they don't tell you that you can appeal, but if you request it they have to submit it to their in-house manager who reviews it. The appeal process stops any action against you and takes ages, but gives you time to prove you complied.

They won't take you to court if there's the slightest doubt of not winning due to costs and usually drop it.

I wrote my appeal by saying I was 100% certain I was right, they were inept and said I would waste no further time messing about and I would see them in court. I bluffed it as I had no proof I'd sent the V5 but they obviously didn't want to take the risk.

A letter dropped on my floor 48hrs later saying the DVLA are sorry I have a negative view of my experience with them and they were taking no further action.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:46 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
DO NOT PAY THE FINE.

and after 5 months wow!!!!
Old 24 March 2008, 02:31 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Well bu66er me, she has just been round and dropped off the 70 quid for the fine and back tax

So I think I will phone the DVLA on tuesday pay the fine, and then send off the form that came with it and declare SORN etc
make sure you fill in a V65 with the new keepers details as well or any future fines for no tax, speeding, parking, etc will keep going to you
Old 24 March 2008, 02:36 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the worst they can do, crush the car ?
Old 24 March 2008, 02:37 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
What's the worst they can do, crush the car ?
CCJs are their favourite now.
Old 24 March 2008, 02:46 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Yeah I heard that, and I dont want a CCJ against my name

I did tell them that if I didnt pay the fine, it would go upto 1000 fine and the car would be crushed

I have the money from them now, so if I fill in the form and say that I sold the car back in October (I dont have proof though) they could then send them the fine and they have paid it to me

The fine thing is a phone number to pay by debit card, but they purely only take payments, if I send a cheque I might miss the deadline for the reduction in fine, but that might be a better way of doing it along with a letter stating the new owners details and a SORN declaration etc
Old 24 March 2008, 02:50 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

THey have very limited powers to actually enforce the fine. I couldn't be arsed to tax my motor bike over the winter when it was not being used sO I ignored the fine letter then phoned up saying that I had sent the sorn notice and they must have lost it. after a few months of threatening letters they dropped it.
Old 24 March 2008, 02:52 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Yeah I heard that, and I dont want a CCJ against my name

I did tell them that if I didnt pay the fine, it would go upto 1000 fine and the car would be crushed

I have the money from them now, so if I fill in the form and say that I sold the car back in October (I dont have proof though) they could then send them the fine and they have paid it to me

The fine thing is a phone number to pay by debit card, but they purely only take payments, if I send a cheque I might miss the deadline for the reduction in fine, but that might be a better way of doing it along with a letter stating the new owners details and a SORN declaration etc
Simply write, requesting an appeal mate.

Worked for me and I had NO PROOF I had sold the car or informed them of such.
Old 24 March 2008, 08:59 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Dont you just hate this assumption that you are guilty by default now, and often for NOT doing something. It used to be that you were guilty if you DID something - drove untaxed and got caught for example.

In these days of ANPR it is such a shame that you get hassled if you just keep your bike in the garage over winter, but dont write to big bro to seek their permission first !! Anything to make their life easier - those that we pay to serve us