ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Weird boot leak

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2021, 05:12 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Weird boot leak

I’ve found a leak in the boot, having changed the boot seal and rear light seals I know it’s not those and their related leaks haven’t come back, this one seems to be new. I’ve checked the spoiler bolts and they are dry so I don’t currently believe it’s those leaking. Nowhere else in the boot is wet and I can’t find any signs of the water tracking, I’ve even taken the boot liner out to check around the suspension turrets.

The water is on the drivers side only sitting in the gap between the two pieces of sheet metal just above the bump stop on the boot hinge where there’s a spot of dreaded orange rust. When the boot is opened and the hinge hits the stop it causes a few drops of water to fall onto the boot carpet. Currently it’s not leaking a lot, the area is filling after several weeks of rain so it’s not flowing in at a great rate. At the moment I suspect the water is leaking in from the outside through the horizontal weld seal that runs up to the corner of the boot seal (where crud usually collects on the corner).

Has anyone found water here before and found where it’s leaking in? I wanted to check before I go off re-sealing welds and finding I don’t fix it. Car is a 2000 saloon Bugeye.

Old 03 December 2021, 05:42 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Does your rear window steam up a lot, particularly at the bottom?
Is your parcel shelf dry where it meets the rear screen?

Is the wadding that sits in between the hinges and the parcel shelf dry? - looks like that recycled cheap stuff.

I'd completely dry the area, and water test it with the boot open. Pour some jugs of water down the rear screen - mine was pushing under the boot seal, over the pinch seam and down into the exact same area.
I replaced my seal with a brand new one, was your seal a new one you replaced it with?
I can see what looks like butyl tape in your pic, maybe it's not seating right?

The other thing you can do is loosen the two boot catch bolts on inside of the rear panel, tap it down 1 or 2 mil and tighten. This should make your boot seal tighter.

Old 03 December 2021, 06:48 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The rear window doesn’t steam up at all, I’ll have a look at that area and see if there’s anything wet and check the parcel shelf and NVH material. I can’t see any evidence of water running down the inside of the C pillar from that area either.

The boot seal is brand new (changed in July) with a small amount of black silicon sealant to help it grab, that’s what you can see. There was a leak over the seal lip but that seems to have stopped. The boot lid itself sits quite firm on the seal so I think pouring water from the outside is going to be the next step
Old 03 December 2021, 08:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Get someone to remove the trims and look carefully at the glue holding the rear screen in place.
Mine pinholed.
First thing was finding the rear seat damp.
On further checking, so was the rear parcel shelf.

I've also had leaks from the boot seal, the rear lights, the spoiler.

The air inlet/outlet can also be suspect.
Old 03 December 2021, 09:05 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

My OSR wing has condensation on the inside. No puddle at the bottom, but I think the moisture gets through the parcel shelf vents and up onto the rear window.

Removed my C pillar trims, both very slight condensation behind them, OSR slightly worse.
Old 04 December 2021, 11:50 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

some cars you can access the boot depending on the scooby model , the old school way was some one sits in the boot and run a hose pipe around the boot till it shows up 👍