Sponsored by:

New age boot leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2010, 09:58 AM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New age boot leaking?

I've left my car for a few days while we went on holiday, come back and opened the boot. It must have rained pretty hard as there's a fair bit of water in the boot, but i can't for the life of me work out how it's getting in?

I've noticed evidence of water in the boot before, but not actual water like this time.

I went out last night when it was raining again, to see if i could see where the water was getting in, but nothing was damp around the seal?

Is there a known common fault on bug eyes where the water can get in, or is this just going to be one of those noodle scratchers?

It's mainly collecting in the spare wheel well.

Thanks
Old 20 August 2010, 10:37 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same problem bugged me for years - literally! My problem was that the rear driver side carpet was getting wet and smelly. I pulled the carpet up and it was very wet under there! Took days to mop the wet and dry the carpet with a hairdryer aimed at the carpet all day. Thinking it was a leak from a poorly sealed joint, I slapped underseal on every seam and joint, inside and under the car. Seemed ok until the same thing happened a year or so later.
Do you park nose down on a slope? I finally traced it to water collecting in the channel behind the boot seal (because of the nose down attitude, on the slope.) and somehow getting under the seal and into the boot, where it would make it's way along the boot floor and under the rear seat and finally under the rear carpet!
I removed the boot seal, put sealant on the lip and in the channel then re-fitted the seal and applied lots of heavy duty mastic sealant along the channel, covering the base of the seal. So far, so good!

JohnD
Old 20 August 2010, 10:49 AM
wrx,sti
Scooby Regular

my boot was leaking on my blobeye and found it was coming in from one of the bolt from the spoiler, put a bit of sealer on it job done.
Old 20 August 2010, 10:52 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

rear lights seals are 100% either, if you ever power wash and have a look under the trim it gets damp, so sat out in heavy rain may do the same thing(not sure a lake would appear) but it would make the boot damp over time.
Old 20 August 2010, 03:26 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
The same problem bugged me for years - literally! My problem was that the rear driver side carpet was getting wet and smelly. I pulled the carpet up and it was very wet under there! Took days to mop the wet and dry the carpet with a hairdryer aimed at the carpet all day. Thinking it was a leak from a poorly sealed joint, I slapped underseal on every seam and joint, inside and under the car. Seemed ok until the same thing happened a year or so later.
Do you park nose down on a slope? I finally traced it to water collecting in the channel behind the boot seal (because of the nose down attitude, on the slope.) and somehow getting under the seal and into the boot, where it would make it's way along the boot floor and under the rear seat and finally under the rear carpet!
I removed the boot seal, put sealant on the lip and in the channel then re-fitted the seal and applied lots of heavy duty mastic sealant along the channel, covering the base of the seal. So far, so good!

JohnD
I have the same problem, that sounds like a good idea must get around to doing this before winter, although I do think that the spoiler is leaking too.
Old 23 August 2010, 05:30 PM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Ok, i think i've traced it back to a bolt holding on the spoiler.

Anyone got any top tips on how to seal it all up? Would it be worth taking the whole spoiler off, beading some silicone sealant under the spoiler (not near the edge, don't want it seen), then re-fitting?
Old 23 August 2010, 05:42 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SkydiveMacca
Ok, i think i've traced it back to a bolt holding on the spoiler.

Anyone got any top tips on how to seal it all up? Would it be worth taking the whole spoiler off, beading some silicone sealant under the spoiler (not near the edge, don't want it seen), then re-fitting?

That's exactly what the main dealer did on my WR1 when i had water in he boot, it cured the problem, but they did such a sh1te job it looked like white silicone sealant around a bathroom sink! I had to clean all the excess of myself because i did'nt trust them too not scratch the paintwork.
Old 23 August 2010, 06:36 PM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Have sourced it to two bolts, that had no nuts on them! Have smeared some clear silicone (badly) over the bolts on the inside of the boot as a temporary measure, so hopefully that works :-)