Sponsored by:

Leaking boot....fixed

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2020, 04:10 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaking boot....fixed

I know the topic has been done to death (I searched endlessly when trying to sort my own problem!) but thought I'd share my own experiences of fixing a leaky boot on a 2005 STI. Could be handy for someone this time of year.

I was finding water on the boot carpet after heavy rain which had made it's way down into the spare wheel. Due to condensation caused by the leak, water was dripping down from all over the boot lid which made it a real bugger to try and pinpoint. I'd checked the typical places - spoiler bolts, boot seal and lights and couldn't find anywhere obvious that it was getting in. I got in the boot with a lamp and we jet washed around the boot\lights for 10 mins and nothing - Not a drop!

Long story short, my drive has a very slight incline and when it rained water was collecting in the top corner of the boot by the seal. When parked flat it naturally runs away. Although I'd checked the seal and it looked in perfect condition, the standing water had broken down the sealent/glue in that corner and water was making it's way up and under the seal and dripping down the side behind the boot liner. It then collected in the corner beneath where the black flappy pressure equaliser box thing is causing the condensation to build and for water to drip onto the carpet.

I removed and washed the seal (in the bath when the wife wasn't looking), cleaned off all the old glue from the boot lid and carefully re-applied using Evo-stick impact glue. Much heavy rain since and the boot is bone dry. Much happiness. Much dryness!

And there ends my story.

TLDR: Don't rule out the boot seal as cause of the issue just because it looks in good shape.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Old 25 November 2020, 07:04 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Should it have glue on? Mine doesn't. interesting too know. I would just replace boot seal, then light seals. mine was light seals on one, and seems to be boot seal on the other.
Old 25 November 2020, 07:45 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Should it have glue on? Mine doesn't. interesting too know. I would just replace boot seal, then light seals. mine was light seals on one, and seems to be boot seal on tee other.
Yeah it was stuck down everywhere else except the corner that was letting the water in so I assume so. If you looked at the seal though you would have said it was brand new which is what threw me. It’s bone dry now and I didn’t need to replace the seal. 👍🏻
Old 26 November 2020, 05:05 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

It’s good news you got it sorted , i don’t think the normal is to have glue , sounds like it may have been an issue before ? , but main thing it’s sorted 👍😁
The following users liked this post:
Old 26 November 2020, 08:00 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

F-A-O op

It wasn’t the passenger side was it?

Exact same scenario with mine I’m sure some one had put the sealant on to stop the leak previous and not from factory?

we need confirmation if the sealant on there is from factory or not

as I’m replacing the boot/light seals and not using any sealant but if needed then it’s a must

hopefully someone with the knowledge will come along 🤞
Old 26 November 2020, 10:51 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Mine seems to be be leaking top left corner.
Old 27 November 2020, 04:47 AM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
F-A-O op

It wasn’t the passenger side was it?

Exact same scenario with mine I’m sure some one had put the sealant on to stop the leak previous and not from factory?

we need confirmation if the sealant on there is from factory or not

as I’m replacing the boot/light seals and not using any sealant but if needed then it’s a must

hopefully someone with the knowledge will come along 🤞
It was drivers side for me. I couldn’t find a conclusive answer regarding whether it should have been glued, sealed or nothing at all, but without something it would have definitely leaked again due to the water not being able to drain away naturally when on an incline.

The seal itself looked as new and was a nice tight fit all around otherwise I’d have just assumed it was an old knackered seal. Had an ask about on PH and the general consensus was to use Evo stick on it. Checked on my MX5 and VW and they were both stuck down too.

Thinking about it, if the issue was dirt build up over time that was compromising the integrity of the seal, I should have probably left it a couple of weeks after the thorough clean to see if that sorted it without glueing.

Maybe try that and if it doesn’t work you can either try using glue or replace completely?

Very worst case if it does leak again at some point I can ditch the seal and get a new one, but for now so far so good.

Old 27 November 2020, 08:39 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Feffers
It was drivers side for me. I couldn’t find a conclusive answer regarding whether it should have been glued, sealed or nothing at all, but without something it would have definitely leaked again due to the water not being able to drain away naturally when on an incline.

The seal itself looked as new and was a nice tight fit all around otherwise I’d have just assumed it was an old knackered seal. Had an ask about on PH and the general consensus was to use Evo stick on it. Checked on my MX5 and VW and they were both stuck down too.

Thinking about it, if the issue was dirt build up over time that was compromising the integrity of the seal, I should have probably left it a couple of weeks after the thorough clean to see if that sorted it without glueing.

Maybe try that and if it doesn’t work you can either try using glue or replace completely?

Very worst case if it does leak again at some point I can ditch the seal and get a new one, but for now so far so good.
definitely the seal on mine as it is/was pretty worn moves about like it was slack

never bothered me till I stopped using the car cover

Guess i could always seal with silicone or glue as you have if it still leaks after it comes back from bodyshop hopefully next week

would like a Defo answer on the whole does it come glued or sealed etc from factory
Old 27 November 2020, 03:07 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I doubt they are glued from the factory. Took mine off yesterday to investigate why my boot is still leaking, and that had no glue on it.

My lip has a few areas of rust that need sorting before I put anything on it, but I'm thinking if anything I might put some red rubber grease to repel any water. Trouble is non setting sealant might not crack but it would be a bitch to remove. Silicone that sets would be easier to remove as it can usually be pealed off.
Old 27 November 2020, 03:23 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

My boot was leaking and I can only assume it was a recent thing as there was no signs of rust and the guy I bought it off parked it outside.
I couldn't work out where the leak was so covered all bases.
I loosened all the spoiler nuts and siliconed behind them.
Took the tail lights off and cleaned the seals but siliconed them to the tail lights too.
Lastly I removed the boot seal for a look. It had black sealant. Quite patchy, few rusty bits along the seam. I scraped off all the sealant and treated the rust then touched up with paint. Cleaned up the seal and left it a few days to dry. Put a bead of clear silicone before fitting. I left it proud of the seam then closed the boot to ensure a perfect fit while it dried.

I think out of the suspect areas I reckon it was the tail lights. The seals where covered in dirt, bugs and cobwebs and they are a weird foam rather than rubber. When I was washing them you could actually wring them out like a sponge.