Notices

water in my boot someone please help ive had enough now

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2004, 03:56 PM
zenyck100@hotmail.com
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in my boot someone please help ive had enough now

heavy rain again the last 2 days and my boot is full of water. there is also a pool of water down the sides at the back of the wheel arches.

ive tried hose-piping the back of the car and getting in the boot with a torch.
when i done this i found some water coming i at the bottom of the boot seal by the boot catch. i re-sealed the boot seal with some permantly flexable sealant and altered the boot catch so the boot shut a bit tighter.

ive also removed my spoiler and re-sealed that.

no water seemed to be coming in around the light clusters but i suppose heavy rain might come in.

can anyone point out anything else i could check??

and just a note to subaru: why is that grommet not at the lowest point of the the bootwell if i was id leave it out.

someone help ive had enough now.

cheers

Zen
Old 19 March 2004, 04:20 PM
red wrex
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate its summet that pretty much every scoob owner has to put up with, Best thing to do is wait till weekend and take out the carpet and wheel...etc

leave the boot lid open all day to air it out,(help dry it with a towel or something.

Them get a tub of vaseline (or similar petrolium based substance) and rub it round the rubber seal, this forces the seal to expand and give it a tighter seal and stops the leaking and condensation

this is not a permanent solution but it works fine for winter and colder periods

Summer is not an issue
Old 19 March 2004, 06:28 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with my sccoby, water was getting in through the light clusters, though there wasn't any obvious signs, so I took the clusters out, cleaned off the old sealant and put a fresh bead of silicone sealant on them and replaced
Old 19 March 2004, 06:35 PM
M12SOH
Scooby Newbie

Wink WATER IN BOOT

Originally Posted by Cornelius
I had the same problem with my sccoby, water was getting in through the light clusters, though there wasn't any obvious signs, so I took the clusters out, cleaned off the old sealant and put a fresh bead of silicone sealant on them and replaced
I HAD THE SAME PROB.I FOUND THAT SEALING THE BACK LIGHTS SORTED IT AND ALSO A BIT OF SEALANT AROUND THE WELDS AROUND THE REAR QUARTER PANEL.I JUST LEFT THE GROMMET OUT
Old 19 March 2004, 10:34 PM
kkkm
Scooby Newbie

Wink

misses getting excited with all this talk of vaseline.i have the same problem with my95,but comes in handy for bathing the kids......
Old 20 March 2004, 08:47 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I had it from the rear window seal - think time had taken its toll.

Leaks are a nightmare to trace, but I've found that putting some talc in the boot came help show if theres been a flow into the boot. It sounds daft, but it does help quite a bit.

The hose trick is time consuming but its really process of elimination - rear lights are possible point, especially if they aren't original oem.

Infact, last leak I had going into the car was from a roof rail on my civic - took me ages to get that one - I just couldnt work out how the hose didnt show the problem but heavy rain did.

good luck with the hunt.