Sponsored by:

Pedders sportsryder suspension kit

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2021, 04:53 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Pedders sportsryder suspension kit

Hi all, I know this is just the general chat and someone may move it to the technical section, hopefully not, but I am after real world experience of the below and not everyone will be in the technical section who may have these on their car.

I have the usual shock knock and my car is on lowered Eibach progressive springs, I am happy with the current ride height, feel etc. I have owned the car for almost 16 years, 2006 Hawkeye WRX, and replaced the suspension in the past with standard replacement KYB units. I was going to replace once again with the standard KYB set up as I am happy with the feel, but I have been doing a little research and come across the below.

https://pedders.co.uk/pedders-ezifit...and-sti-803035

So the main questions are:

Does anyone have this set up?
Does it feel near standard?
What ride height have you got? (Photos would be great, who needs an excuse!)
Is it a harsh ride?
Are there any other suggestions?

I have done coilovers before by the way and it was hateful, so no need to recommend those thanks.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
Old 21 October 2021, 08:52 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Hi ,
give pedders a call they can advise you , they are very helpful , it will be more or less to what was fitted on the car as standard in the first place , i have the pedders xa set up on my monaro they work very well , the kit you are talking about is not height or re bound adjustable , just because you have coilovers fitted does not mean they have to be a harsh ride , i have some BC on the mrs Fsti , the height is a bit lower than standard so it looks better , re bound is set to one click off the softest setting , it does handle well , my other cars are a firmer set up , the pedders xa kit i have transformed the car , it’s been on the car for a good number of years , the only mild issue is some paint has flaked off the springs but that’s not unusual as same with my tein and bc set up , not putting pedders done tein do a non rebound height adjustable set up , they also work well 👍
Old 21 October 2021, 09:01 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

have supplied and fitted various Pedders kits over the years and generally had very good results........
Old 21 October 2021, 09:53 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the replies so far, very useful information, I will give them a call.

VXR, as for the coilovers, I had BC's on the WRX for about 6 months and had to take them off. I opted for the softer spring rate and adjusted them to their softest settings, in fact, I tried all bloody set ups, I even had the ride height set to it's maximum to allow more travel, but over even cats eyes it was like being kicked in the kidneys!

Don't get me wrong, on the right smooth road they were almost perfect, I particularly miss them on motorway runs as the car felt smooth as silk at speed, but on our usual B roads, they could feel dangerous at times and the car felt a little skippy over bumps etc. I am sure there are coilover set ups that can work very well on our roads, but I don't have the budget for a set like that.

Old 21 October 2021, 10:39 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Did your car originally come with inverted struts?
Did you replace with Subaru/KYb Ultra SR inverted struts? Or, did you replace with KYB AGX/Ultra SR/Excel-g non-inverted?

Last edited by 2pot; 21 October 2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 21 October 2021, 12:07 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

KYB Excel Gs with Prodrive Blue springs. They do lower the car a fair bit but handling is greatly improved with little compromise in comfort.

Or a slightly stiffer shock (Koni etc) if you want a bit more fast road focus whilst sacrificing a little comfort.
Old 21 October 2021, 12:08 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 2pot
Did your car originally come with inverted struts?
Did you replace with Subaru/KYb Ultra SR inverted struts? Or, did you replace with KYB AGX/Ultra SR/Excel-g non-inverted?
I went with the standard replacement KYB Excel-G struts. To be fair, it was only the fronts that have been replaced but the rears are now knocking but only after almost 100,000 miles, so for a Subaru, that is good going. The fronts are still sound, but if there is a full replacement kit that can work like the standard set up while being lower, then it may be a better long term option.
Old 21 October 2021, 12:11 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
KYB Excel Gs with Prodrive Blue springs. They do lower the car a fair bit but handling is greatly improved with little compromise in comfort.

Or a slightly stiffer shock (Koni etc) if you want a bit more fast road focus whilst sacrificing a little comfort.
Yeah KYB Excel-G was my original thinking until I saw the Pedders.
What drop do the Prodrive springs give? I already have Eibach lowered springs so I can't imagine there would be a big difference?
Old 21 October 2021, 12:21 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

https://www.pcadynamics.com/products/subaru/
Old 21 October 2021, 01:10 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Cheers mate, I would imagine these are the same as the progressive Eibach ones I already have then, just mine are black.
Old 21 October 2021, 01:42 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I don't think that they are the same.
Old 21 October 2021, 02:34 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Check the current spring rates on the Pedders wrx, were: 156/127lb/in
Eibach wrx were 171/188lb/in
Old 21 October 2021, 03:06 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Check the current spring rates on the Pedders wrx, were: 156/127lb/in
Eibach wrx were 171/188lb/in
Ok thanks for that, so there will be a significant difference in feel then given the difference between them?
Old 29 October 2021, 09:06 PM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m planning on fitting the Pedders Ezifit front struts to my 05’ STI this weekend if I get chance. I’ll let you know how I get on if I get around to it.
Old 30 October 2021, 09:19 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RichDobie
I’m planning on fitting the Pedders Ezifit front struts to my 05’ STI this weekend if I get chance. I’ll let you know how I get on if I get around to it.
Ah fantastic will be interesting to find out, cheers👍
Old 06 November 2021, 11:34 PM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evil.soup
Ah fantastic will be interesting to find out, cheers👍
I got the old struts out today but didn’t fit the new struts because they look too long compared with the old struts. Going to give Pedders a call on Monday to confirm whether they are the correct ones for my 05’ STI widetrack 114. The ref. no. for the new one is 909990R (for the right one) - Scoobyworx has it as the correct one but Pedders has a different ref. no.

Old 07 November 2021, 12:12 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RichDobie
I got the old struts out today but didn’t fit the new struts because they look too long compared with the old struts. Going to give Pedders a call on Monday to confirm whether they are the correct ones for my 05’ STI widetrack 114. The ref. no. for the new one is 909990R (for the right one) - Scoobyworx has it as the correct one but Pedders has a different ref. no.

That's a significant difference, doesn't look right at all! Thanks for the post, very interested to see the ride height difference from your current set up.
Old 07 November 2021, 12:48 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Your oem '05 sti struts are inverted - chrome rod 39mm diameter
Pedders replacement struts are non-inverted - chromed rod 22mm diameter
Non-inverted struts are longer.
However, you appear to have Pedders wrx/non-widetrack sti struts (100mm pcd), not Pedders '05-'07 sti widetrack struts (114.3mm pcd).
The lower mounting holes on a front sti widetrack strut are further apart, compared to a wrx strut. Measure the hole centre distances, compared to your old struts. The distance in-between the two mounting brackets is also wider on an sti widetrack strut.

Last edited by 2pot; 07 November 2021 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07 November 2021, 10:27 AM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Your oem '05 sti struts are inverted - chrome rod 39mm diameter
Pedders replacement struts are non-inverted - chromed rod 22mm diameter
Non-inverted struts are longer.
However, you appear to have Pedders wrx/non-widetrack sti struts (100mm pcd), not Pedders '05-'07 sti widetrack struts (114.3mm pcd).
The lower mounting holes on a front sti widetrack strut are further apart, compared to a wrx strut. Measure the hole centre distances, compared to your old struts. The distance in-between the two mounting brackets is also wider on an sti widetrack strut.
Thanks 2pot - spot on. Just measured the lower mounting holes and on the old strut they are c.75mm apart and on the new struts they’re 65mm. The wrong struts!!! Argh!!!!