suspension advice required

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2011, 11:00 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suspension advice required

ok folks i have an 07 hawkeye wrx and im running standard suspension at the mo,
i have whiteline f@r arbs,droplinks and uprated diff bushes and alk.

now im wanting to lower the car the car a bit but without making the ride to choppy, the car doesnt get tracked but is running 355bhp and is my daily driver

so what would be best considering my above set up,

1- get some sti struts and then some lowering springs like tein etc or

2- get some bc coilovers or the apex ones.

any info or advice would be great

thanks tom
Old 06 February 2011, 11:32 AM
DeeH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 05 STi and replaced the standard STi shocks with Apex Gen 2 coilovers (same as BC BR series) and had the geo set up by a local Scooby expert.

I decided to change because the back shocks on my car were starting to show signs of wear. I dont think the ride quality is any worse and the car does feel more confidence inspiring on the road. Have to say the geo set up seemed to play a large part in that.

I hadn't planned to lower my car but in the end I dropped it a little but still maintained enough height so as not to worry about speed ramps. It does help the look of the car and is a free option with the coilovers. I could be wrong but I think that to maintain standard ride height with BC/Apex you will have to tell them at the time of ordering as it will require a slightly longer shock body.

Most people seem to suggest that the route you have gone down is the best value for money upgrade. I dont know whether new shocks would make a massive improvement, espcially considering the money you have already spent.

Have you considered fitting lowering springs to your existing shocks (assuming they are in good condition). I was talking to a bloke recently who had replaced the standard springs on his blob WRX with prodrive springs and had a geo done by an ex prodrive mechanic. His car looked to have a similar ride height to mine. He thought the car was far better with similar ride quality to original WRX springs.
Old 06 February 2011, 03:31 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info, never thought of just changing to lowering springs, the shocks are all in good nick and the rears were only replaced last yr under warranty.

how do u fing the apex coilovers as ive had a good look at these,
Old 06 February 2011, 07:19 PM
DeeH
Scooby Regular

The ride could hardly be described as plush, but then neither was the STi standard suspension and I knew that when I bought the car.

I use my car as my daily driver, mostly on reasonable quality roads to and from work and I think the firm feel of the car is worth it for the way it handles. Having said that most of the time (probably like most daily drivers) the car isn't being driven on, so I'm not really getting the full benefit from the suspension.

I would certainly suggest getting a drive in a car that has them fitted before buying a set as I've only ever driven STi cars and dont know supple the WRX suspension is by comparision.

Overall I am pleased with them. I got them at the discounted price being offered by APEX and and that money they would be hard to beat.

If you want more feedback/info about the Prodrive springs I would suggest contacting Michelinman on the ScoobyIreland site. He has them on his blob.

Last edited by DeeH; 06 February 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06 February 2011, 10:16 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I have Eibach lowering springs with standard shocks on a Blob WRX. They give a very comfortable ride and will compliment the mods you have done already. You will need a fast road geometry setup after lowering