Tyre options help please

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2021, 07:23 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Tyre options help please

Hi all hope your all well not been on for a while now as I’m back at the gym 💪🏽

I am in need of 2-4 tyres for the impreza front ones are shot after 6 years 😃 and need changing

I’m running Dunlop’s and they have been great so sticking to the same,
also rears are all good and I prefer having all four tyres same brand etc

so far national doing 235 45 17’s 2x Dunlop sp sports at £182 fitted best price so far

If anybody can shed any light and save me some pennies it’ll be much appreciated

will be needing to change this Friday latest

thankyou all in advance

also I still have the ht auto side skirts and rear bumper lips in the back yard FREE TO COLLECTER BB5 0QA

Old 13 October 2021, 09:56 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure if it helps but I ordered tyres on the 1st for my BM from MyTyres - they were listed as in stock but actually came from Germany. The fronts came after a week or so and the rears are only just coming today.

So if ordering online might be worth a call/webchat to check they will turn up in the time frame you need.

The following users liked this post:
Old 13 October 2021, 01:16 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 273 Likes on 236 Posts

black circles , or openeo are who i order from 👍
Old 13 October 2021, 02:07 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Sorry going a bit off topic here. Had a look at Opoeneo, hadn't heard of them before. A lot of the tyres seem to come up as summer tyres including the Uniroyal Rainsport 5s. Always thought they were all weather or winter, not a summer tyre.
Old 13 October 2021, 02:37 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 273 Likes on 236 Posts

The tyre you mention, on tyre reviews is shown as a high performance summer tyre not an all year round one , vredestien ultrac are very good plus not too much £
Old 13 October 2021, 03:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Sorry going a bit off topic here. Had a look at Opoeneo, hadn't heard of them before. A lot of the tyres seem to come up as summer tyres including the Uniroyal Rainsport 5s. Always thought they were all weather or winter, not a summer tyre.

Oponeo are ok. But deliveries come via Europe so delivery takes at least a few days.

Summer tyre is a very vague term and doesn't mean much other than it hasn't been tested in snow/ice, as there is no criteria for a "summer tyre"... I've seen plenty of "summer" tyres with M+S markings which is supposed to be mud and snow (Usually Chinese)

As opposed to winter tyres that have the mountain symbol. These have been made to meet a specific standard. You can also get all seasons with the mountain logo that also qualify for winter use. It's the logo that's important here as it's mandatory in some countries.

What this means is a summer tyre can be pretty much anything...some will be super soft and sticky cut slicks, some could be super hard ditch finders with sipes only cut into the top 2mm of tread (common Chinese tyre trick). Some will have compounds and tread pattern better for cooler damper climates, some will have compounds for hotter dryer climate.

Rainsport has the clue in the name...a tyre designed for wetter weather, which other summer tyres may struggle with. For example, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso were lethal in damp weather, where I had no issue when swapped to Pilot Sport 3, but both are summer tyres. Not used Rainsports myself but have heard mixed reviews on them.

Anyhoo, personally I'd say a true wet/damp weather tyre should have directional tread and sipes (patent as the "Dunlop Aquajet"). Seems this is out of fashioned now where everything is Asymmetric (Which I think is a conspiracy to stop you swapping wheels to even out inner edge wear so you have to buy more tyres ), with sipes only cut in straight patterns and not into the full depth of tread (except maybe Primacy 4 which definitely has deeper channels and sipes).
The following 2 users liked this post by ALi-B:
Old 14 October 2021, 09:59 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I've used delti/mytyres, oponeo and camskill for tyres.
I've used Uniroyal RS3 in my previous Abarth 500 and they were phenomenal on the wet, a little soft on the dry but not any softer than Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (which I didn't rate highly).
The Michelin PS4 should be better than the 3s.
I am currently using Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports in the Impreza and they are amazing on both dry and wet, I am not sure whether they come in 17" dimensions though.
Old 14 October 2021, 12:51 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Oponeo are ok. But deliveries come via Europe so delivery takes at least a few days.

Summer tyre is a very vague term and doesn't mean much other than it hasn't been tested in snow/ice, as there is no criteria for a "summer tyre"... I've seen plenty of "summer" tyres with M+S markings which is supposed to be mud and snow (Usually Chinese)

As opposed to winter tyres that have the mountain symbol. These have been made to meet a specific standard. You can also get all seasons with the mountain logo that also qualify for winter use. It's the logo that's important here as it's mandatory in some countries.

What this means is a summer tyre can be pretty much anything...some will be super soft and sticky cut slicks, some could be super hard ditch finders with sipes only cut into the top 2mm of tread (common Chinese tyre trick). Some will have compounds and tread pattern better for cooler damper climates, some will have compounds for hotter dryer climate.

Rainsport has the clue in the name...a tyre designed for wetter weather, which other summer tyres may struggle with. For example, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso were lethal in damp weather, where I had no issue when swapped to Pilot Sport 3, but both are summer tyres. Not used Rainsports myself but have heard mixed reviews on them.

Anyhoo, personally I'd say a true wet/damp weather tyre should have directional tread and sipes (patent as the "Dunlop Aquajet"). Seems this is out of fashioned now where everything is Asymmetric (Which I think is a conspiracy to stop you swapping wheels to even out inner edge wear so you have to buy more tyres ), with sipes only cut in straight patterns and not into the full depth of tread (except maybe Primacy 4 which definitely has deeper channels and sipes).
Thanks for clearing that up mate. Being in the UK its mostly damp or wet roads so was confused when I saw the Rainsports and others with very high wet rating coming up as summer tyres. Marketing doing what its supposed to do, confuse the customer lol. It can rain at anytime but rain is most commonly associated to winter months.
Old 14 October 2021, 04:54 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I’ve used Asda for tyres a few times. Prices are competitive and when you order them online fully fitted it gives you a choice of local garages to go to and a day and time slot. It’s review based as well so I’ve always had very good service where I go.

just looked and the only Dunlop they have in your size is the sportmaxx for £87 or the XL version £91 a tyre, but they currently have a discount code for £10 off for 2 tyres or £20 for 4 tyres on the Dunlop’s.
Old 14 October 2021, 05:30 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Check the Bridgestone Potenza Sport, it comes in 17 inch unlike the rest of the UHP competition, that might be the best performing tyre for the size.
Old 15 October 2021, 05:44 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Everything is bloody on line nowadays 😢

gonna pay my friend Brian at cams performance for a final opinion and see if he has owt in today

then get my pennies out

thankyou all for your input much appreciated
Old 15 October 2021, 05:47 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jdmscooby
o
only one choice for road tyres
Unfortunately Dole doesn’t pay that well my friend 😂
hope your all well 👍
Old 15 October 2021, 07:02 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 642 Likes on 468 Posts

What do you need tyres for on a car that doesn't go anywhere?
Hope you are good though.
Old 15 October 2021, 07:36 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
What do you need tyres for on a car that doesn't go anywhere?
Hope you are good though.
hope your all well my friend 👍

My front ones are knackered and the rears cracked only lasted years lol!

just ordered these should be fitted on Wednesday fingers crossed

Thx to fatty’s opinion he has pushed me over 😬

do it proper first time round as they say Thankyou all for your input

Old 15 October 2021, 08:15 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 642 Likes on 468 Posts

Good choice from all accounts
Old 15 October 2021, 10:11 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 201 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdmscooby
Goid choice but the 4 and 4s are different tyres, both good though but u found 4s better in wet weather
You are really bored to bump Your own tread pancho
Old 21 October 2021, 05:24 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Thought I’d end the thread with a “happily ever after”

instead of Wednesday I get a phone call on Tuesday to have the tyres done as the mobile fitter had them in his van happy days!

soo! gentleman comes names Wayne really nice guy did the job perfectly and showed me how all 4 wheels are straight and balanced to a perfect 0
he left me with some priceless knowledge that after all these years I was unaware of.

he showed me how old my tyres were and why the rears were cracked batween the treads and few other tips

Well ermmm I had 14 year plus old tyres on my car!! FFS😢
anyhowz feels like I’ve never really driven a Subaru properly until yesterday WOW! Is an understatement I’ve fallen 8n love with my car all over again ❤️

Till next time all and thanks for all your input folks