Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Mixing tyre brands between axles?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2000, 03:00 PM
Anil Ootam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A nail in one of my rear tyres has meant that I now have to change both rears. I currently have Bridgestone Re010s all round.

Is it a really bad idea to put another manufacturers tyre on the back? Given I'm running with Bridgestones on the front...

I can get hold of Toyo and Goodyear F1's quite easily and cheaply (Bridgestone SO2's are coming in around £130 each and have to be ordered specially - but this still means I'm running with different types of tyres between the axles).

Any advice is appreciated.

Anil

Old 15 May 2000, 12:13 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Phill,

For future reference, you might find it useful to search this site for cheaper tyres when you need them. I did, and bought F1s for £63 + VAT fitted.
Old 15 May 2000, 06:30 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Anil

I had exactly the same problem about a month ago. Replaced the two rear tyres with F1s. The handling was awful, it was that bad i went and replaced the front two to match. Now its great. Definately worth changing the fronts aswell.

Paul
Old 15 May 2000, 10:44 AM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

Cool

what is it about rear bridgestones? I had to replace a rear as well, tried four dealers all of them quoted 2-3 days, and 130+ each, so I went for the eagle F1's on all four corners (£111 each), at first I hated them they felt to light and floaty at the front, but after 250 miles they feel so much better than the bridgestones, although I haven't had the chance test them in the wet yet.
I'm going to get the bridgestone repaired if it's possible and safe to do so, which will give me a spare set of tyres.

any way I've been a very silent member of this great site for about six months now, and found out a great deal of very useful info, thanks
Old 15 May 2000, 01:39 PM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

XRS,
thanks for the advice unfortunately it was 12:00 noon and I had to drive to Birmingham at 3:30 pm so I had no time to look around, or indeed drive elsewhere to get them, I did read that wembley tyres are cheap, but I had no time, it would of cost me more in missed work, but thanks anyway

Old 15 May 2000, 04:23 PM
MarkL
Scooby Regular

I've heard numerous handling horror-stories from people who have used mismatched tyres on Imprezas, including someone who lost control of their car and crashed.

Also you will know that the Impreza has a natural tendancy to understeer (except Type R's anyway). I did some laps as a passenger on the wet-handling track at MIRA in a Scoob with mis-matched front and rear tyres (Toyos on the front and Avons on the back) and it would throw its tail out if you as much as sneezed.

In short, I would not consider mixing tyres on the Scoob.