Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me some inspiration, and suggestions on a Twin Scroll build.

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2021, 12:34 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Deleted, not required.

Deleted, not required.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 09 October 2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 22 September 2021, 01:32 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase mate.

Power goals and headroom will dictate your build quite a bit. The price difference for an 800bhp build vs say 300bhp is massive. Now this is just an example you aim for 400bhp you might want to add some headroom so if you want to up it to 450bhp then you can without having to teardown the whole engine.

For turbos you could get yours built or look for a R205, they make good power. Not sure on the current config on your car, but sports cat.
The following users liked this post:
Old 22 September 2021, 03:08 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
Basically i've just bought a 20th Anniversary Edition with an overheating engine issue, the car is with Alyn at AS Performance, one of the reasons for buying the car is it gives me an opportunity to uprate the engine since its probably going to need some engine work of some kind.

With it being a blank canvas so to speak, what would you suggest as upgrades for a twin scroll engine, like the internals, the brand of pistons, crank, valves etc etc. Also the turbo, what would be a good upgrade for that along with the induction, down pipes and exhaust etc.

I'm after as much low down torque to mid range torque as possible, its not going to be used as a daily, its to give me as much fun and smiles as poss on my days off, ideally i'd like to keep the characteristics of a normal clutch rather than going for a twin plate. I presume it would be wise to get the block closed decked and the 14mm head stud conversion done, it's ideas and inspiration i'm after as im not an expert on picking components for an engine build, its things i can talk to Alyn about and he'll also be guiding me.
The car is in about the best place it can be for inspiration. Alyn will keep you right just pick a power goal and let the bill begin.
While your in there go 2.1 then you have an excuse

Last edited by 1509joe; 22 September 2021 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 22 September 2021, 03:22 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
The car is in about the best place it can be for inspiration. Alyn will keep you right just pick a power goal and let the bill begin.
While your in there go 2.1 then you have an excuse
Cheers Joe, i'll speak to Alyn about possibly going 2.1 and see what he advises. He's already given me some great knowledge about the burble and how its really reduced in sound over the years since the early days of the Legacy, and explained the the unequal length headers have got less and less curved so the pulses are different now.
Old 22 September 2021, 03:25 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Congratulations on the purchase mate.

Power goals and headroom will dictate your build quite a bit. The price difference for an 800bhp build vs say 300bhp is massive. Now this is just an example you aim for 400bhp you might want to add some headroom so if you want to up it to 450bhp then you can without having to teardown the whole engine.

For turbos you could get yours built or look for a R205, they make good power. Not sure on the current config on your car, but sports cat.
Thanks Nossy, i think i want around 450 - 500 bhp with as much torque as we can get in a reliable setup. I'll speak with Alyn nearer the time once the engine issue has been diagnosed then i'll know more what the options are, its going to have upgraded internals as a minimum, probably closed decked and 14mm head studs as well.
Old 22 September 2021, 03:31 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

What are you aiming for? If you want to retain the OEM feel but just add some power then you probably don't need to go crazy.
If it was me, I'd get the heads skimmed and use a brand new crate EJ207 bottom end. That'll let you run 400bhp without worry.
Then I'd hybrid the existing VF turbo. With an exhaust and air filter you should see high 300's and an extremely driveable car.

If you want to run much over 400bhp then you need to spend a lot more money. Injectors, fuel rails, intercooler, forged internals, clutch, etc...
Alyn is a great person to advice on that, especially if they're building the engine.

Old 22 September 2021, 03:33 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Just read your reply to Nossy! Doh!

Trending Topics

Old 22 September 2021, 03:44 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
Cheers Joe, i'll speak to Alyn about possibly going 2.1 and see what he advises. He's already given me some great knowledge about the burble and how its really reduced in sound over the years since the early days of the Legacy, and explained the the unequal length headers have got less and less curved so the pulses are different now.
If your going for 450 and thinking of 14mm studs (which you probably wouldn't need but nice to have) then the price of the internals if going forged wouldn't be much different for 2l vs 2.1