All-new 2022 Subaru WRX debuts – the legend returns, but not to the UK

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2021, 01:42 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default All-new 2022 Subaru WRX debuts – the legend returns, but not to the UK

https://www.evo.co.uk/subaru/wrx-sti...mains-unlikely

Well, at least they have got rid of that fcucking awful 2.5.
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 September 2021, 04:59 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes and the dumbfcks at Subaru uk choose yet again not to import a car that might actually kickstart their flagging sales.

There have been a few tests online putting the Yaris GR up against the last STI, and the results haven’t exactly been an overwhelming victory for the Yaris, yet every man and his dog are raving about the Toyota.

The last model had poor fuel consumption and high rfl cost to deal with. Whether the new engine is more economical or not I don’t know but I think I’m right in thinking cars under a certain price bracket cost the same to tax now so that is one less black mark against it.

Subaru UK would rather concentrate on the flooded SUV market and fight for sales with overpriced offerings.
Old 14 September 2021, 06:28 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Rumours are that the STi out japan 12m time will be 300bhp 1.6ltr Hybrid turbo

tony
Old 14 September 2021, 06:38 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Yes and the dumbfcks at Subaru uk choose yet again not to import a car that might actually kickstart their flagging sales.
There have been a few tests online putting the Yaris GR up against the last STI, and the results haven’t exactly been an overwhelming victory for the Yaris, yet every man and his dog are raving about the Toyota.
The last model had poor fuel consumption and high rfl cost to deal with. Whether the new engine is more economical or not I don’t know but I think I’m right in thinking cars under a certain price bracket cost the same to tax now so that is one less black mark against it.
Subaru UK would rather concentrate on the flooded SUV market and fight for sales with overpriced offerings.

All depends if it can meet European (includes UK) emissions. The very reason the last model stopped in 2017 but continued in Australia and the US until last year.
Pointless importing a vehicle if it can't.
Old 14 September 2021, 07:00 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
All depends if it can meet European (includes UK) emissions. The very reason the last model stopped in 2017 but continued in Australia and the US until last year.
Pointless importing a vehicle if it can't.
Even if it does they won’t import it. What were the emissions for the WRX with the direct injection engine? I’m sure they were better than the EJ engined cars but they didn’t import that.
Old 14 September 2021, 09:54 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Even if it does they won’t import it. What were the emissions for the WRX with the direct injection engine? I’m sure they were better than the EJ engined cars but they didn’t import that.
Did the rest of Europe get the previous WRX?? I think not.
Old 15 September 2021, 12:09 AM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

That's one ugly car.

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2021, 08:13 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in Dunfermline last week and saw a Levorg STI. Are those easy to import? Looked stunning 🤩
Old 15 September 2021, 12:46 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Did the rest of Europe get the previous WRX?? I think not.
That’s my point, they are missing a trick.
They put that engine in the forester so it was obviously ok emissions wise.
One of Subaru Uk directors said they are concentrating on suv in this market, because the performance cars have had their day and no longer relevant.
I beg to differ, their suvs are overpriced and way down on people’s wish list. WRX and STI way more desirable but since they no longer in wrc they don’t see the point.

Well, the point is to make the company profitable, and they won’t by not selling their most desirable models in the eu.

Speaking to a Subaru dealer when the xv was first launched, I said if it had the same engine as the forester xt had then I might be interested, he said Subaru don’t really do things that make sense.

My local (5 mile away) dealer lost the franchise because Subaru UK wanted them to keep full stock in over the COVID lockdown, to which they couldn’t/didn’t agree with.
Way to make a profit in this country.
Old 15 September 2021, 04:22 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

That’s my point, they are missing a trick.
They put that engine in the forester so it was obviously ok emissions wise.
One of Subaru Uk directors said they are concentrating on suv in this market, because the performance cars have had their day and no longer relevant.
I beg to differ, their suvs are overpriced and way down on people’s wish list. WRX and STI way more desirable but since they no longer in wrc they don’t see the point.
Well, the point is to make the company profitable, and they won’t by not selling their most desirable models in the eu.
Speaking to a Subaru dealer when the xv was first launched, I said if it had the same engine as the forester xt had then I might be interested, he said Subaru don’t really do things that make sense.
My local (5 mile away) dealer lost the franchise because Subaru UK wanted them to keep full stock in over the COVID lockdown, to which they couldn’t/didn’t agree with.
Way to make a profit in this country.
Problem is you are blaming local (Subaru UK/ International Motors) for matters that are taken at a higher level - Subaru Europe and Subaru Japan. If the overall market (Europe as a whole) is not there then Subaru Japan is not going to develop a car to meet a non existent market. The only "real" market in terms of sales for RHD is Australia, so they will probably get it.(they also have a lower emissions standard).
International Motors can only import something that is available to them.
Old 15 September 2021, 05:55 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Sorry for the dumb question but would the uk be allowed to import the s209 or is that out the question because of emissions?

OR the Wrx sti type ra as featured in these videos

Last edited by johno01; 15 September 2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 15 September 2021, 06:08 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Subarus UK managing Director John Hurtig told autocar last year the decision not to import the wrx (and brz) was taken so they could concentrate on the company’s more mainstream suv range.

Sounds like a Subaru UK decision to me Don.
Old 15 September 2021, 07:40 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Subarus UK managing Director John Hurtig told autocar last year the decision not to import the wrx (and brz) was taken so they could concentrate on the company’s more mainstream suv range.

Sounds like a Subaru UK decision to me Don.
Once again only looking at the local picture - neither were in the rest of Europe.
He's just speaking the "Subaru" party line - look at the vehicle line ups in all European countries, they are basically the same. If Europe doesn't get a model neither does the UK.
Old 18 September 2021, 09:39 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

In next-generation WRX STI spec however, that same FA24 engine will receive significant upgrades to achieve that smoking hot figure of 400 hp. According to our source, the reworked FA24 in STI spec will employ a reinforced crankshaft and pistons, optimized timing balance, fine-tuned valves and intake ports, boost pressure will be tweaked and brake capacity will be enhanced, among other modifications. And married to the brand’s tried and proven symmetrical full-time 4WD system, expect nothing less than class-leading performance and handling.
The new STi is rumoured to make 400BHP.
If this is true, I think Subaru could sell a lot of these in the UK.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norman Dog:
Old 18 September 2021, 08:04 PM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks like a new rav4 😁
Old 23 September 2021, 07:40 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

They are a bit "generic" looking.