Notices

Replacing wrx engine for sti '52 plate car.

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2009, 01:39 PM
eightballboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing wrx engine for sti '52 plate car.

Hi all
(Sorry if this is confusing, i'm new to subaru's and not exactly a car technical expert!!)

I recently bought a 52 plate wrx and after couple of months the engine blew. A con rod/piston went through the block.

I want to change the block for an sti one with forged rods/pistons but as i understand this would mean that i would have to replace the headers etc as the sti's have VVT.

So i beleive i would be better of replacing the whole engine??? I know i will have to change some wiring in the car to adjust for the VVT.

I also want to modify the car a bit so that i end up with a decent example which is pretty fast

I have been offered a complete sti engine with ecu,turbo manifold injectors etc for about £2000 which seems to be a fair cost?
But i have also seen a sti8 spec C jdm engine for £3000 with twin scroll turbo but no ECU. Is this engine worth the extra money and extra cost for the ECU etc??

Can i put either of these engines into my car with the current gearbox and clutch until such time as i can afford to replace them??

If i got the standard sti engine i would look to replace the turbo for a bigger one, iis a twin scroll turbo the way to go and is it easy to convert the the engine/manifold to allow for this??

I know this is a lot of questions and perhaps confusing but any advice/assistance really would be greatly appreciated. I love scoobies and want to have my own cool example

( i would like something performace wise on par with lichfield type 25 - i think there was a 2.0 one)

Thanks
George
Old 20 October 2009, 04:59 PM
eightballboy
Scooby Newbie

*BUMP*
Old 21 October 2009, 09:35 AM
eightballboy
Scooby Newbie

Bump
Old 21 October 2009, 10:46 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its always easier to replace a like for like engine, or get one rebuilt, you can put the STI engine(s) in there but you may have issues (the twin scroll ones will eat your clutch and gearbox in no time), or are you just after a new starting block (no pun intended) and uprate the internals on a normal wrx block?

There are a few threads in the project section that may interest you, or speak with a reliable engine builder for your options

Tony