Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly coming back to a scooby, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2021, 02:45 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Possibly coming back to a scooby, need some advice.

I can't put my finger on it, well yeh i can, i guess i miss owning a scooby, the raw flat 4 sound and being engaged with the car. I currently have an M2 so tech wise it's a big step backwards, and i know i'll miss the paddles and a few other things.

I've been looking at the hatchbacks, something like a WRX Sti, maybe a prodrive version. I've been out of touch for a while so this is where i need some help, ideally i'd want to spend around 15k, i may push higher for something that blows me away. I was looking at the CS400 but thinking about it i don't want to have that much tied up in an older car, if i had a garage, and it was a 2nd car it maybe different but i don't at the min.

I think something like a well sorted WRX Sti would suit me batter, it will be a daily, it would have to be in world rally blue.

Any pros and cons you could give me would be great as i'm a bit out of touch with scoobies at the min, i appreciate the obvious one that its a 10 year old + car, things to avoid etc

Thanks

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 25 January 2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 25 January 2021, 03:09 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in the same boat too. Sold my F80 Stage 2 M3 around October time last year and now have the itch to come back to a Subaru again.

As good as the M3 was it just never clicked with me, just never felt how raw and involved my Spec C was.
So yes in terms of comfort and tech and goodies its a massive step back for me, but in terms of grin and involvement it will be a massive win.

One thing that did shock me when I started looking again, was how much Impreza's have shot up in value, I really didn't expect that.
But saying that I suppose a few will end up being a future investment and most likely go up in value over the next few years.

With regard to you budget, i've seen a few good examples up for sale, for around £15K will get you a good JDM blob/hawkeye if you want to go down that route. Otherwise you are also in UK hatch money too, totally depends what you are after. Modded / Std / Older or newer.
My advise would be try and get one off a private buyer where you can discuss history / mods etc. Most dealers selling them atm havent a clue about them and will reel off the normal dealer sales crap.

Just going into it with your eyes open.
Old 25 January 2021, 03:26 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I'm biased, but a spec C hatch (or saloon)with recaros would have enough rawness and "connection" to entertain you. It doesn't have any soundproofing, and the plastic rattles with all the sti chassis extras fitted, but it makes me smile away every time I'm out. I believe most of the ones for sale currently are very over priced, and if you self import you should get something cheaper.
Old 25 January 2021, 03:34 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MelTypeR
IAs good as the M3 was it just never clicked with me, just never felt how raw and involved my Spec C was.
So yes in terms of comfort and tech and goodies its a massive step back for me, but in terms of grin and involvement it will be a massive win.
Yeh i know what you mean, The M cars are a great bit of engineering, the DCT box is great but you just feel like your sitting there a lot of the time without being engaged with the car, it's like being in a comfy armchair with the car doing most things for you. The M2 is the best car i've owned, i'll never say a bad word about it, it's like you with your M3 i'm at the same stage, i've experienced the all singing and dancing modern tech along with all the comforts, i just want something to drive for maybe a year or a bit longer where i'ts a full driving experience, along with the sound of the scooby engine.

It will be the hatchback version for me as i'm not keen on the shape or design of the latest impreza, it will be a bit more nimble as well. I'm not going to rush, i'll just keep my eye in and see if anything jumps off the page at me, yeh it will be a private sale that i'll go for.
Old 25 January 2021, 03:37 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I'm biased, but a spec C hatch (or saloon)with recaros would have enough rawness and "connection" to entertain you. It doesn't have any soundproofing, and the plastic rattles with all the sti chassis extras fitted, but it makes me smile away every time I'm out. I believe most of the ones for sale currently are very over priced, and if you self import you should get something cheaper.
Thanks, that's certainly a car that deffo appeals, just saw one on a google search

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1775043
Old 25 January 2021, 04:10 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I may be putting my 20th anniversary hatchback STi for sale in the not too distant future, let me know if that could be of interest.
Old 25 January 2021, 04:30 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
I may be putting my 20th anniversary hatchback STi for sale in the not too distant future, let me know if that could be of interest.
Hi, can you post some details about the car, mileage, service history, how many owners, is it free from accident damage and hasn't been painted, any mods or extras, condition of the car, some pics would be great, you can email them me if you like.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 25 January 2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 25 January 2021, 07:47 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
Hi, can you post some details about the car, mileage, service history, how many owners, is it free from accident damage and hasn't been painted, any mods or extras, condition of the car, some pics would be great, you can email them me if you like.
Hi,
I've sent you a message.