Coolers

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2020, 08:03 PM
NineOneSix
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolers

I've got a fairly modded WRX and it sees track days

Is it worth fitting a power steering cooler as well as a gearbox cooler on a 6 speed? Not a massive one, just a 7 row on each behind a fog cover which comes off at the track. Engine oil cooler is on the opposite side behind the fog cover

Cheers
Old 28 August 2020, 10:52 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i suppose it depends on how hard you push it and how warm it gets , you could buy one of those heat sensing guns and see how hot it really gets , my thought would be no , i think an engine oil cooler sump baffle and a better fuel supply system would be the things i would do first , plus from what people say a front mount inter cooler for better air flow
Old 28 August 2020, 11:00 AM
NineOneSix
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, already have a baffled sump with stiffening plate and upgraded pickup pipe, also got a front mount intercooler 😅 just thought I'd make use of the empty fogs.

An engine oil cooler is definitely going on next, just thought the box and steering could also benefit from it, I know the spec c has a power steering cooler standard. So I thought to ask
Old 28 August 2020, 07:15 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I think the steering cooler depends on your intended use.

For example, on a rally car you would be steering a lot more than on track, so might make sense to have one. On track car, you don't typically steer as much IMO, so not necessary.

I can't remember seeing a steering cooler on any track prepped imprezas (apart from obviously the Spec C's).

Personally never had a problem with boiling power steering fluid on track or road, and in my mind it'd be yet another thing that could leak.
Old 28 August 2020, 11:33 PM
NineOneSix
Scooby Newbie

Just feels odd, having had normal road cars that had these coolers standard and a more performance orientated car doesn't 😅
Old 30 August 2020, 11:21 AM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik

Personally never had a problem with boiling power steering fluid on track or road, and in my mind it'd be yet another thing that could leak.
To thread opener

I had a problem once with steering whilst attempting cornering on Alp hairpins, after climbing up the pass I suddenly lost the servo assist whilst turning in and nearly hit the wall.
I suspect the fluid had boiled, I presume that like brake fluid it is also hydroscopic and that at higher altitude
it becomes more likely to fail as any moisture within boils easier. ( Water boils at 95Dec C at 1500 meter ).

Before the Servc steering became really heavy , I distinctly remember that the steering wheel had vibrated on each curve as I had pulled onto the full lock.
As we had crept down from the pass servo assist improved somewhat , but as soon as the revs dropped when I pulled into a Garage it happened again.

That eve at the hotel we chocked the wheels in the air , and fully bleed the system with a lock to lock movements , interestingly the old fluid was very dirty and full of dark particles.
So Im fairly certain the "old" , fluid had never been changed, the car had done 90k miles by this point and was 7 years old at the time.
Interestingly and perhaps unsurprisingly we had no further issues on the way back over the same pass on the return journey.
I have subsequently replaced the pump as well and am thinking I might replace the fluid again.

So in conclusion I would think that Steering Oil cooling is done to prevent this , and that having one probably
gives a larger margin of safety to people who ignore the service schedule for steering fluid replacement.
The following users liked this post:
Old 30 August 2020, 12:15 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

the more coolers higher chance of a leak makes sense , the engine oil cooler is probably a good move as it’s the most necessary of any of them , power steering on the high climb probably old fluid a place where people myself included forget to service , i did both mine not long ago , syringed out the plastic power steering bottle , re filled a few locks to lock , repeated the empty and refill one or twice more and fluid was nice and clean , a common power steering issue that generates noise from the pump the O ring failing on the top of the pump costs about 6£ and easy to change just be carful when you bolt down the bolt at the top of the pump where you changed the seal the ally pipe brakes easily and the pipes from the bottle to the pump going hard and letting air in , i have changed both rings and pipes as a preventative maintenance
Old 31 August 2020, 03:58 PM
NineOneSix
Scooby Newbie

The pipes and the O ring were in pretty good condition when I pulled the engine for a rebuild earlier this year, it all came apart easily. Weird thing is I'm from the Alfa Romeo world and all there cars have a steering cooler standard and while I had the front apart it became apparent that these don't and it got me thinking
Old 31 August 2020, 05:56 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

I think if subaru felt it was needed on a certain model they (fingers crossed ) would decide to fit one , so i expect not needed